SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:42 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker_Bill View Post
Hello Mini Quad Group,
I just received my Lady Bird V2 from Xheli. It Didn't come with a manual. Where did you get the manual download from. I look on the Walkera website and couldn't find anything. Do you have any available sources for a manual? This little thing is really squirrley. I like what your suggestions wre about hoe to tame this thing down.

Thx,

Wicker Bill
Oy!... hoe's are people too.

I'm pretty bad with manuals, I never read them... and therefore miss some good tidbits. doh!

The Ladybird is a squirelly wee quad to learn on. It doesn't have the let-go-of-the-pitch stick "auto hover" that the "clone quads" are programmed with so it's easier for newb kids and beginner pilots to fly.
The Ladybird is programmed more like a larger hobby quad with "attitude hold" if you pitch the Ladybird forward... it'll keep going that way until you give it opposite stick to slow/stop the forward flight. Clone quads are more like a co-axial/FP helicopter in that if you go forward and let go of the stick.... it'll "auto-brake" into a safe hover for you.
So if you want to tame-down a Ladybird... I'm afraid you'll need a programable TX like a Devo6,7,8,10. and add 25-40"+exponential" to the Pitch/Roll to make it much less sensitive around center stick.
Flying with dual rates might help too... Low rate indoor / Hi rates outdoor? With most DevoTX's you can change the Low/High rates too... so you can customise how sensitive the sticks are in both modes.

Plus, flying in a "nose forward" box pattern is a relatively easy way to get comfortable with flying the Ladybird, thus enabling you to gain confidence with her and to start learning orientation flights when ready to.

Luck!
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:34 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,296 Posts
I just received a Ladybird V1, after a few indoor flights I took it outside to get some more space. I switched her into 3 axis for its first flip,and poof she let out a little puff of smoke.it land smack on its top in a dirt patch. Inspecting the board a transistor is blown, and that boom has instant on when the battery is plugged up. The fall also busted up the canopy. I have a V939 and V929, but wanted a quad more smooth and compatible with my Devo 7 TX. It stinks that a new RX is about the same price as a new V1.
Jasen40 is online now Find More Posts by Jasen40
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:25 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,666 Posts
See if you can get a replacement. I bought a bnf V1 from T-mart and bird fell from flight after sixth round. They sent mailer postage and took time but got a new replacement. Since that time I have flown my V1's and one V2 hundreds of flights. I have two V929's and they hold up well but don't fly anyware as good as L/B V1 or V2. That said still a great flyer.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:49 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Hi V,
Hmmmm...I'm wondering if you have this confused with another micro quad?? It is far from squirrely and an excellent choice for Noobs.

The Ladybird QR V1 does indeed have a self-leveling mode In both the normal and 3d modes. Of course that is also in the manual. I don't own a V2 but others have said it flies similarly, I would expect like the V1 in the 3d mode when it does not use the accelerometer which the V2 does not have populated on the pcb. The 3d mode has self-leveling when you do not exceed about 30 degrees, after which you do have to pilot it back to level. The 3d model allows very fast flips. The normal self-level mode quickly comes back to level when you release the sticks at all angles. If you got the better Walkera Ladybird set with the 2402D vs the DEVO4 then you also have the ability to ad some expo on the sticks by turning on the AUX. Some of the sets come with the nice DEVO7. It is very precision and tame to fly. As you stated even more precision and stability with the better Walkera Tx's. Also the ability to adjust the gyro strength so you can get the best performance when you add some weight such as camera or a larger lipo is a plus. All that with the ability to upgrade the firmware makes it a leader.
--Micro quads comparisons 101
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
Oy!... hoe's are people too.

I'm pretty bad with manuals, I never read them... and therefore miss some good tidbits. doh!

The Ladybird is a squirelly wee quad to learn on. It doesn't have the let-go-of-the-pitch stick "auto hover" that the "clone quads" are programmed with so it's easier for newb kids and beginner pilots to fly.
The Ladybird is programmed more like a larger hobby quad with "attitude hold" if you pitch the Ladybird forward... it'll keep going that way until you give it opposite stick to slow/stop the forward flight. Clone quads are more like a co-axial/FP helicopter in that if you go forward and let go of the stick.... it'll "auto-brake" into a safe hover for you.
So if you want to tame-down a Ladybird... I'm afraid you'll need a programable TX like a Devo6,7,8,10. and add 25-40"+exponential" to the Pitch/Roll to make it much less sensitive around center stick.
Flying with dual rates might help too... Low rate indoor / Hi rates outdoor? With most DevoTX's you can change the Low/High rates too... so you can customise how sensitive the sticks are in both modes.

Plus, flying in a "nose forward" box pattern is a relatively easy way to get comfortable with flying the Ladybird, thus enabling you to gain confidence with her and to start learning orientation flights when ready to.

Luck!
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:03 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi V,
Hmmmm...I'm wondering if you have this confused with another micro quad?? It is far from squirrely and an excellent choice for Noobs.

The Ladybird QR V1 does indeed have a self-leveling mode In both the normal and 3d modes. Of course that is also in the manual. I don't own a V2 but others have said it flies similarly, I would expect like the V1 in the 3d mode when it does not use the accelerometer which the V2 does not have populated on the pcb. The 3d mode has self-leveling when you do not exceed about 30 degrees, after which you do have to pilot it back to level. The 3d model allows very fast flips. The normal self-level mode quickly comes back to level when you release the sticks at all angles. If you got the better Walkera Ladybird set with the 2402D vs the DEVO4 then you also have the ability to ad some expo on the sticks by turning on the AUX. Some of the sets come with the nice DEVO7. It is very precision and tame to fly. As you stated even more precision and stability with the better Walkera Tx's. Also the ability to adjust the gyro strength so you can get the best performance when you add some weight such as camera or a larger lipo is a plus. All that with the ability to upgrade the firmware makes it a leader.
--Micro quads comparisons 101
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Oops, you are totally correct my bad... Normal mode does indeed have some self-centering and Stunt mode has a little centering too but not as pronounced.
I got confused from playing with too many quads and my needs sleep methinks. hehe
Squirrely was more what I hear some new Ladybird pilots call it, so I really shouldn't have said. 'specially since I've set my Devo10 to 115 Ele/Ail and 150 Rud in Trav Adj for my v.1 and with those settings it was very fun to even do delayed-flips with her.

Jim is right.... Ladybirds are an amazing micro quad! my younger bro. with zero quad experience was hovering it pretty darn good within the 1st min. @Xmas, and my heli-bud with no quad exp. did the same and he even wanted to trade his 6ch heli for it! i said no! lol
(so please consider what i wrote b4 a brainfart)
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
Hey guys. Fairly new here, must say these quads are pretty addictive. I got in a tragic accident at work on Feb 18th and just recovering slowly from it. It will be a long time until I can walk and lots of therapy etc.. I am just happy to be alive TBH, could of been way worse. These keep my minds off things, flying them around etc.... And believe it or not they have played a major role in helping me quit smoking, everytime I want or think of one I would charge a pack or two and do some flying lol. Keep the brain busy. Its been a few days short of 2months no smoking

Now, I have a Ladybird V1 waiting for me at home to be unpack-aged. As I understand this little guy does not have LEDS? But the board does have a place to connect them right? Or do they have to be soldered, I don't want to do any micro-soldering. So if there's a place to connect them.

Where can I buy a set of 4. I want 2 white for the front, and 2 red for the rear. What exactly do I need and where can I buy this. Thanks in advance

My current fleet:

- Syma X1

- V939 (Man I find it a little unstable and hate how it flips at %100 rates, and the top right button on my Radio does nothing?)

The next 4 are at home and waiting for me to open them,

. Ladybird V1 BNF, V202 Scorpion, LadyBird V2 w/Devo4, and a Hubsan X4.
Stephan81 is offline Find More Posts by Stephan81
Last edited by Stephan81; Mar 05, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:49 PM
Spain, Murcia, Cartagena
Joined Nov 2012
86 Posts
need this component, they know where to buy JJ=T08

thank
toscatara is offline Find More Posts by toscatara
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscatara View Post
need this component, they know where to buy JJ=T08

thank
Sorry, no clue what you mean. Can someone eleborate please.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:09 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
Hey guys. Fairly new here, must say these quads are pretty addictive. I got in a tragic accident at work on Feb 18th and just recovering slowly from it. It will be a long time until I can walk and lots of therapy etc.. I am just happy to be alive TBH, could of been way worse. These keep my minds off things, flying them around etc.... And believe it or not they have played a major role in helping me quit smoking, everytime I want or think of one I would charge a pack or two and do some flying lol. Keep the brain busy. Its been a few days short of 2months no smoking

Now, I have a Ladybird V1 waiting for me at home to be unpack-aged. As I understand this little guy does not have LEDS? But the board does have a place to connect them right? Or do they have to be soldered, I don't want to do any micro-soldering. So if there's a place to connect them.

Where can I buy a set of 4. I want 2 white for the front, and 2 red for the rear. What exactly do I need and where can I buy this. Thanks in advance

My current fleet:

- Syma X1

- V939 (Man I find it a little unstable and hate how it flips at %100 rates, and the top right button on my Radio does nothing?)

The next 4 are at home and waiting for me to open them,

. Ladybird V1 BNF, V202 Scorpion, LadyBird V2 w/Devo4, and a Hubsan X4.
I hope your mending is quick and relatively painless. I had a Quad(bike) no-brakes accident a few years back... I have like 13 screws and pins below my left knee to hold me leg 2gethr. These R/C quads have been a real life-saver to me too, they keep my minds busy and gets me outdoors more and my leg gets to excercise to boot.
Congrats on the no stink-stiks, who knew quads can help quit smoking! haha

There are 2 empty RX ports on the Ladybird v.1 board, I think the port to the front can power LEDs Ok.
There are 2 members on RCGroups I know of that can make an LED harness for the LB, OnceAFly and 1Hammer.... PM them for info (be very careful when handling.... wires are very thin)

This is how my LB looked last summer with a "Onceafly" kit (need a new one now)
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:18 PM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
Awesome that one option for sure. Thank you and I'll make sure to look into it and PM one of them.

It's to bad that Banggood or TMart doesn't have some sort of LED strip that plugs directly in the board with different colors/sizes etc...
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:33 AM
Spain, Murcia, Cartagena
Joined Nov 2012
86 Posts
Hi I also need to repair my ladybird, my regulator is not working and ladybird wont power up. it is marked JJ=T08

where I can buy?

sorry for my English
thank
toscatara is offline Find More Posts by toscatara
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:15 AM
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
Here's my (work-in-progress) attempt to add tiny surface-mount LEDS.

Decided to go for white 'headlights' and red 'tail lights'. Hiding/protecting the wires by putting 5mm shrinkwrap tubing around the boom and the extra wires (just for the part outside of the canopy, otherwise the canopy won't clip back on)

Very fiddly job, but it's working out OK so far:

bluescrn is offline Find More Posts by bluescrn
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:00 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,737 Posts
Nice work on the smd LEDs, you can save a bit of weight using a couple of tiny dabs of hotglue instead of heavier shrinkwrap for the boom wires.
Was it hard to solder the resistors? I just got a bunch of blue/green V939 bulb type LEDs from BG and I'm pretty sure they need resistors too, so i need to calculate which resistors are needed... and then buy them from eBay? this part is all greek to me. lol
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:44 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscatara View Post
Hi I also need to repair my ladybird, my regulator is not working and ladybird wont power up. it is marked JJ=T08

where I can buy?

sorry for my English
thank
Hi mine is not working, my LED does not light either so the voltage stops here... A google search finds nothing particualr for this JJ=t08. Anyone have a clue what could be ordered from Digikey to make it fly again. Guess this is a Input Voltage Rectifier SMD.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:18 AM
Joined May 2008
59 Posts
I searched for it already, but cant find any specs. guessing its an voltage converter 3,3V same as on a 939 like in the pic, you can slaughter a pcb and transfer it. I wish i could telling more about this.
easystall is offline Find More Posts by easystall
Last edited by easystall; Mar 08, 2013 at 10:55 AM.