SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:40 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Walkera QR Ladybird V1 gyro poti posistion and effects 101

Gents,
Photo attached. NOTE: the gyro POTI flat is on the left looking down on the fcb with the pcb LB front at the top. With the flat there at the default position, it is at the mid-point of the POTI.

CCW is a decrease in the gyro proportional(strength) and CW is an increase in the gyro proportional. The amount of change is very subtle, but at the OEM total flying weight(AUW) you will notice more nervousness/oscillations with the POTI turned 90-170 degrees from its default position and more looseness in holding attitude when it is turned the 90 to 10 degree CCW from the default position.

A higher AUW usually requires a bit more "CW" gryo proportional to decrease the wobble of death(WOD) during rapid descending and wind gusts.

The 170 and 10 limit I stated is so you do not hit the null point on the POTI which could cause no gyro proportional changes or random gyro proportional results.

Caution: Only make changes to the POTI when the lipo is disconnected!! There is great potential to short the board with power applied while adjusting the POTI. NOTE: The POTI value is only read at power on so you will not see any changes until you repower anyway.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Don't have mine so someone else can chime in in stock setting. But you are correct in that it has no stopping point and "resets" itself at a certain point within one full turn. So your not going to cause issues if you turn it multiple times and can't remember how many turns you made. Maybe check some close up pics in the thread and it might help you see the stock setting.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Feb 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:45 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Nov 2008
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Photo attached. Note the gyro poti flat is on the left looking down on the fcb with the pcb LB front at the top
Cheers,
Jim
Perfect - thanks!

Curious if anyone has adjusted this pot and if so any idea on which direction does what?
nanobot9000 is online now Find More Posts by nanobot9000
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Hi N,
I added more info. Pls read and let me know if it is clear enough...
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanobot9000 View Post
Perfect - thanks!

Curious if anyone has adjusted this pot and if so any idea on which direction does what?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:59 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,293 Posts
You the man J
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:31 AM
Italy
Joined Oct 2005
228 Posts
Quote:

Caution: Only make changes to the POTI when the lipo is disconnected!! There is great potential to short the board with power applied while adjusting the POTI. NOTE: The POTI value is only read at power on so you will not see any changes until you repower anyway.
Cheers,
Jim
thank you for your intervention.
now I understand why I did not notice any difference when I turned the pot! I will try tomorrow

but how do you know this?
galaxy1 is offline Find More Posts by galaxy1
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Hi G,
I figured it out by doing lots of flying and experimentation ...Knowing how some of the other flight controllers code works might have helped too The manual only mentions decreasing sensitivity when the POTI is turn to the left and increasing gyro sensitivity when turned to the right. I did not notice any changes either when I first tried that. Removing power then making the gyro POTI change and repowering did make a difference.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy1 View Post
thank you for your intervention.
now I understand why I did not notice any difference when I turned the pot! I will try tomorrow

but how do you know this?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:31 AM
Italy
Joined Oct 2005
228 Posts
Quote:
Hi G,
I figured it out by doing lots of flying and experimentation ...Knowing how some of the other flight controllers code works might have helped too The manual only mentions decreasing sensitivity when the POTI is turn to the left and increasing gyro sensitivity when turned to the right. I did not notice any changes either when I first tried that. Removing power then making the gyro POTI change and repowering did make a difference.
Cheers,
Jim
perfect! now I see the difference.

I would like to ask your advice. to fly out as you have set?
galaxy1 is offline Find More Posts by galaxy1
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:24 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,189 Posts
I have had my First L/B V1 since last July. After extensive flying it still a great flyer. Mine is bound to Devo 7 TX. Since then I have added several orthers to join the fun. Three V1's/ one V2/ and one Exceed V2. All fly very well and enjoy them. The Walkrea Ladybird is finest 4 ch Quad available and V1 leads the pact. Next is V2. To small for you ?? The Hoten-x is a big L/B V1.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:25 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,818 Posts
Dankar is right, the Ladybird is an awesome micro quad that started it all in it's type/size class that I believe has still not been equalled or surpassed in all it's capabilities. Because of it's abilities and agility (twitchyness) it may be daunting to learn how to fly quads on, but it is well worth the efforts as you can grow into it's "big quad" manual flip and roll capabilities too, if you so desire... a very rare thing in this size class.

My trustworthy Ladybird is "still giving" even after owning one since last May/June? 2012, I'm still learning and growing into the Ladybird to this day.
I was getting stir-crazy with all the snow and sub zero temps and not flying, so when It finally got warm 'nuff today I took my Ladybird out for some sport mode flying.. yah! what could go wrong?

I caught the "over-bank dive" from the balcony once or 2wice, but the last one ditched her... doh!
Ladybird v 1 short stunt mode flight (3 min 20 sec)

So thar I was "sittin 'n thinking" during the cold spells and thot, hey what if I tried a big-boy delayed-flip with my Ladybird? 'specially since my LB does such quick flips... I thought it'd be neat to see her(and me!) do a "delayed" so I went and tried to with my 2nd LiPo....
Ladybird v 1 delayed flip attempts (3 min 11 sec)

(I was very lucky.. with plate re-inforced frame... only 1 loose boom from the "acro" and no bent props!)
This amazing Ladybird doesn't cease to impress me!

Happy flights!
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:35 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,189 Posts
When I fly my L/B's I just amazed this ting klittle Quad just flys awesome. They should do a L/B thats copies Hoten-X. Lights/ L/G etc. The Exceed version looks great flying. The V1 is top of the class. The V2 outshines all the reast.
Do I like the L/B V1? .....> Yes sit I surely do. With the Devo 7 TX that has ball bearing gimbals its awesome.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Mar 01, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Im trying to use the 808#16 powered from the main board i have to v2 which only as the bind socket, i have got power from that 4.1 v but it just wont power the camera for some reason, i have run leds from this ok.

any ideas? i have tried the camera with its case and own battery but its just to heavy
bings is offline Find More Posts by bings
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Hi B,
It is not a best practice to use the LB bind sockets for powering cameras or LEDs. It is best to go directly from the lipo or where the lipo attaches to the flight controller. There is less chance of inducing noise into the controller or causing a brown out or reset in the processor. Get a 50-80mah 1s and use that for the camera. After stripping it down you can get it to about 9g.

Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by bings View Post
Im trying to use the 808#16 powered from the main board i have to v2 which only as the bind socket, i have got power from that 4.1 v but it just wont power the camera for some reason, i have run leds from this ok.

any ideas? i have tried the camera with its case and own battery but its just to heavy
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
19 Posts
I have purchased QR Ladybird v2 Arrived today
After the first flight stopped working!! A quick flash can not be linked with the transmitter, all attempts have failed: (

Another question Can I link to another transmitter device??
ams7 is offline Find More Posts by ams7
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:05 PM
Gear Up And Locked
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Lady Bird Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by yud View Post
Thanks @BD Murdock.
I downloaded the 7E manual when I first got it, but I am so new that many of the settings and most of the terminology did not mean anything to me. I wanted to learn to fly before any tweaking so I did not go to far with the manual.

I will try the settings you mentioned when I get my spare parts and can build a new bird.

On the last day of the holiday my son spotted the LB in the tree!
She is resting on some branches at the very top of the tree, about 10m high. No way we could have got there.
So we left our details with the owners of the property and I'm hoping a strong wind will drop the bird to the ground.

Back home from my holiday I was expecting to find some of the parts I ordered and was very disappointed. It's been 5 weeks since Banggood marked my order as shipped (previous orders arrived within 2 weeks).

So the waiting game again!
Hello Mini Quad Group,
I just received my Lady Bird V2 from Xheli. It Didn't come with a manual. Where did you get the manual download from. I look on the Walkera website and couldn't find anything. Do you have any available sources for a manual? This little thing is really squirrley. I like what your suggestions wre about hoe to tame this thing down.

Thx,

Wicker Bill
wicker_Bill is offline Find More Posts by wicker_Bill
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:11 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ams7 View Post
I have purchased QR Ladybird v2 Arrived today
After the first flight stopped working!! A quick flash can not be linked with the transmitter, all attempts have failed: (

Another question Can I link to another transmitter device??
I hope your ladybird is Ok, usually "No-bind" is due to crash-damage to the RX board... "fast blinking" while binding is bad, slow blink means it is binding(talking)

Can remove canopy... start TX, (radio) power Ladybird, press different chips and see if it "slows blinking" trying to bind. If so, the chip got loose from crash and needs to be re-soldered, or buy a new RX board to replace.

Can only "bind" to a Devo TX or with a "magic cube" can bind to older Walkera TX and some other devices.... not sure which tho.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb