HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:24 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
keychain cam

I had some free time this weekend, and inspired by the new v959 quad I decided to take my 808 #16 that's been collecting dust and see if I could shed some weight on it and mount it to one of my LB's. my goal was to make the project and execution as simple as possible.

after trying several ideas I found the bare camera stuck surprisingly well to the bottom of the battery cradle using some hobbyking foam tape. I wanted to ditch the camera's battery, so I used the bind plug and soldered a male micro connector to the other end to plug into the camera. lastly, since I decided to keep this setup for now, I glued the lens to the camera and coated the bottom of the camera with some liquid electrical tape. hopefully it will help protect the bottom a tad and help prevent moisture getting in.

without the casing and battery, the camera sheds almost 10g and the LB handles the remainder of the camera pretty well. there's just enough clearance underneath without any modifications, and it's nice to be able to use the stock motor bumpers. I may mess around with extending the landing gear for more clearance, but for now it's ok.

the only issue I've had so far running off the flight battery is that the camera cuts out a bit early and shuts off. I guess the voltage is dropping too low for the cam to operate and it powers down. this isn't a huge problem because the quad only lasts about a minute afterwards before I have to land, so I only really miss the end/landing (unless I land a little early). I may look into this if there's an easy fix.

I'm thinking about going a little larger on the flight battery to compensate, maybe 350mah. I'm using the 300mah nano-techs right now. any suggestions?

I added some expo to smooth out the movement and tested it outside, but it was overcast and windy. still, it captured decent video and still flew well in the wind with the added weight. my old mqx/808 combo would not have been able to handle this wind at all. I may post it up later, or wait till I get some better footage.

enjoy!
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Last edited by flying toaster; Jan 06, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:04 PM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
Nice work!

In my opinion "300mah nano-techs" have big voltage drop after some charging cycles (bad battery).

Probably you get a little more video time with walkera original 240mAh, 260 mAh nanotechs or UDI batterys.

Also fully charging to 4.25Volt in normal room temperature give more capacity compared to 4.20V end voltage.
Stenkryparen is offline Find More Posts by Stenkryparen
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:41 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
Nice, I was trying the same with my 808 and a vtx. The V2 ladybird board doesn't have that second connector, I never checked to see if I could pull power from that, as I'd read noise from the motors makes a vtx useless.

What kind of flight times are you getting?
sidneylopsides is offline Find More Posts by sidneylopsides
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:10 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
@ Beer...

So you've checked your vids then and digital noise isn't a problem? I tried the same set-up more or less and the resulting picture quality wasn't good enough, imo anyway, to stay with it. I ended up going with a separate battery, little 30 mAH.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:32 AM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneylopsides View Post
Nice, I was trying the same with my 808 and a vtx. The V2 ladybird board doesn't have that second connector, I never checked to see if I could pull power from that, as I'd read noise from the motors makes a vtx useless.

Flying time is between 4:00 - 5:40 minutes, depending on battery, wind and flying style. When slowly cruzing outside average time is 5 minutes. Hovering inside give me 6 minutes.

A lot of altitude change or fighting wind is most battery consuming.

I have no problem with motor noise with my setup.

I think motor noise could be reduced by fitting a big condensator (tantal) close to voltage feeding on camera board.

Only time my picture/video is not perfect is when fast descending, then the bird wobble.

What is a "VTX" ?
Last edited by Stenkryparen; Jan 07, 2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: More info
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:13 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
I get the same wobble, I think that's down to prop wash and struggling with the weight.

Vtx=video transmitter. I think the noise might only affect the vtx rather than the 808 itself.
sidneylopsides is offline Find More Posts by sidneylopsides
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:16 AM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Joined Aug 2010
442 Posts
Quote:
What is a "VTX" ?
"Video transmitter" for flying FPV

You and Beerassasin are just recording video, no interference.
XFM is online now Find More Posts by XFM
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:21 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
I blew one of my output mosfets due to a shorted arm wire. Ordered some for 59 cents each from Digikey. I hope thats the only component I have to replace. Anyone fry theirs?
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:48 AM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,957 Posts
Nope (with crossed fingers!) I don't think I'd have the skill to do board level repairs. If you do, could you record and post videos? Maybe if I saw it done, it would give me courage to try. Or at least, I know where I can send my board to get fixed!
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
There are some very good videos about SMT soldering repairs on Google. I recently just started doing my own board repair. Fixed my Genius Board of a transistor component less then half the size, so this one should be easier. One does not have much to lose when you can buy the tiny solid state components for small change. Just need a magnifier, soldering iron solder and most important- that magic flux that puts all that magic smoke back in the board. lol
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:04 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenkryparen View Post
Nice work!

In my opinion "300mah nano-techs" have big voltage drop after some charging cycles (bad battery).

Probably you get a little more video time with walkera original 240mAh, 260 mAh nanotechs or UDI batterys.

Also fully charging to 4.25Volt in normal room temperature give more capacity compared to 4.20V end voltage.
thanks!

I agree regarding the 300mah nano-techs (I've used both the newer "45C" and older "35C" versions). they provided great punch at first, especially the 45C, but since then have suffered reduced flight time. the 35C even more so than the 45C. maybe parallel charging would help keep them in good shape?

I had tried the 260mah nano-techs initially before getting into the 300mah nano-techs. I had the same result, they worked great but for only a relatively short amount of charging cycles (leading me to try the 300mah variety).

I still have some of the original 240mah stock packs, I'll give those a try. maybe I'll purchase a few UDI batteries moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneylopsides View Post

I've read that as well, I would only power the camera using the flight battery if the camera's being used for recording only, not for fpv

regarding flight times, my response to Stenkryparen above this is relevant, because my initial testing was done with 'old' 300mah 45C nano-techs. other factors include:
-my initial testing was done in strong wind, stronger than I would record video in normally
-I was not merely hovering to test flight times (I have a bad tendency to skip ahead in my flight testing lol). I was doing a lot of fast forward flight, ascending, descending, etc.

that said, the camera lasted about 3 minutes in the air each time recording flight before the camera shut off. flight time lasted maybe an additional minute, so under 5 min total.

with better batteries/flying conditions I see these figures going up no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
@ Beer...

So you've checked your vids then and digital noise isn't a problem? I tried the same set-up more or less and the resulting picture quality wasn't good enough, imo anyway, to stay with it. I ended up going with a separate battery, little 30 mAH.
this was one of my main concerns going in, but to my surprise it does not appear to be an issue. watching the videos, I saw a couple isolated instances of what is likely some digital noise from the motors (in the form of horizontal lines for a split second), but it's hardly noticeable and for the most part the video seems unaffected. definitely not enough digital noise to make me want to ditch the setup at this point. I'll have to post video here when I get a chance.

from what others are saying here, and from what I've read previously, it sounds like more of an issue when using a vtx for fpv, rather than recording only. it sounds like you were just recording though? how bad was it? I only intend to use this setup for recording purposes, I have other plans for fpv heheh
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Last edited by flying toaster; Jan 07, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:09 PM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFM View Post

Thanks for clarifying.

I try FPV when done with video recording.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:17 PM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
I blew one of my output mosfets due to a shorted arm wire. Ordered some for 59 cents each from Digikey. I hope thats the only component I have to replace. Anyone fry theirs?
Not happened yet, despite many many flying ours.

Please tell us the result after FET change.

What is the labeling of the FET?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenkryparen View Post
Not happened yet, despite many many flying ours.

Please tell us the result after FET change.

What is the labeling of the FET?
OOBF
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:21 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,814 Posts
Nice job Beerassasin, I did the same with my LB and 808 #9? cam last summer.
I only had a few flights on mine before a "drained LiPo"? caused my cam to brick.
I haven't tried again yet, but I think I will try again when I go FPV in a month or 2... now that'll be a learning curve!
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb