Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:51 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Man I tried flyin outside...24 degrees F...batt lasted about 4 minutes and the LB just didn't seem very happy. With wind chill it probably was half that maybe 12 or so actual to the bird. Doesn't like thin air. Not to mention the lack of non-snow covered landing sites. Relegated to the inside.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:02 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,830 Posts
Yea, I had some bad experiences with 1s micro planes in the winter. Made me take the entire thing apart to try to figure out what was wrong, in the end I threw it out and later on finally figured out that the cold really really effects these small lipos...
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,391 Posts
Hi Gents,
Yep. Multicopters of all sizes have specific cold weather operations procedures to help performance of the lipos and the flight controllers. Erratic operation and excessive gyro drifting and trimming during flight can be mitigated by following a few simple steps.

From the Project Quads/Hexas/Octos section in the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

--TIP 10: For cold weather operations: 1. Completely cover the flight controller in soft foam. 2. Attach an old lipo and let it sit disarmed for at least 10 minutes to acclimate to outside air temperatures. Replace with a fresh warm lipo for flight. 3. Keep your lipos warm before use or use a lipo warmer in the form of one of those muscle ache chemical heat pads. Reasons are that there are multiple factors affecting cold weather operations and drift. Besides the IMU and lipo temperatures, even ESCs without and with crystals can cause drifting as they warm up. So let the model acclimate while powered for the best results.

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:53 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,448 Posts
Good info, I'll keep it in mind for all my models!
Thanks
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Mar 2006
764 Posts
I really like using this bird for inside and small areas. My Helimax just doesn't have what this has for that are.
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:25 AM
yud
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
so, here is my story so far with the LB.
I bought v2 without research and only came here after I ordered. I also ordered 7E. The wait was long but they finally arrived and I took them for a test flight in a small park. A few attempts to control it, almost lost it, then got it back with a broken motor. So I ordered some. A few days later I discovered the frame was also cracked. So I ordered one, as well as a v1 board. The motors arrived before the festive season holiday but the frame did not. So I ordered more frames and had them sent to my holiday address. Needless to say, the wait was unbearable...
The holiday was in a perfect spot, with perfect weather, 100m from the beach with a huge oval between the house and the beach. Perfect for flying!
My frames arrived, I repaired the bird and flew it with my 13 years old son for 4 days. I started getting the hang of it and REALLY enjoyed flying her. (I'm a total newb).
My son got it straight away and was controlling her easily. He was also guiding me.
but then...
on the 4th day (2nd session...) my son got too confident, flew her too high and too fast, lost control of the bird and got her stuck in a 10m tree. We could not see her and once the battery went flat could no longer hear her. She was gone!
We spoke to the property owners but chances are 0%.
so...
I had some spare parts left and with the v1 board which should be waiting for me back home I almost had a new bird. Ordered the remaining from Banggood (together with more spares) and am hoping to fly again in a couple of weeks or so... hopefully this time with better luck...

and just to throw another angle to the story: just before the holiday I was given an e-flight Blade 400 3D and a Turnigy 9x. So I really need to learn to fly...
yud is offline Find More Posts by yud
Last edited by yud; Dec 31, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yud View Post
and just to throw another angle to the story: just before the holiday I was given an e-flight Blade 400 3D and a Turnigy 9x. So I really need to learn to fly...
Wow the 400's a fairly serious heli and a major detour from the LB. Nice gift...if you decide you don't like it just send it to me

Sounds like you've gotten the in's and out's of tearin the LB down and puttin it back together, that's a good thing and something we all end up learning how to do sooner or later...if you keep flying that is. You mentioned that you'd gotten a Devo 7E with it. Have you researched all the different programming aspects of it you can plug in for the LB? I've just recently started using a 7E and you can make some substantial changes to all of the LB's flight characteristics. You can hot rod it up or tame it way down or parts of both together. If you just took the LB out and lit the fires with the 7E right outta the box the quad should have been fairly aggressive and very responsive.
You can affect all of that, along with monitoring the battery, loss of signal, throttle hold all sorts of good stuff.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:04 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
I would definitely mess around with setting up the various options such as dual rates etc. The experience of programming the transmitter will be invaluable when you step up to other things such as the Blade 400. That's a big step in between though !
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:27 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,620 Posts
A wee video practicing back-flips after some holiday hooch , and finishing wrapping gifts. (not recommended btw!)
It's got a re-inforced heavier than stock frame, so she's not as agile as a stock LB. doh... always seem to crash if I try and track the quad while flipping. lol
*may contain unsavory bkgrnd posters in video*
Ladybird v1 Holiday flips (1 min 17 sec)

@sis's I only got a chance to fly my X250 outside for 1st times, got woogly with the gloves... and ditched.
PTDC0001 (3 min 38 sec)

Happy New Years!
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Nice wallpaper V...first thing..or things...that caught my eye
Oh ya the flippin was okay too.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:13 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,448 Posts
There was an LB in that clip???? Oh yeah, had to watch it again Nice flips!
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:07 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
I just built my V.2 Ladybird and tried a back-flip over my bed and almost beaned myself in the head with it! It does a backflip in a lazy 3ft diameter loop, while my V.1 does it in a tight 1ft. diameter loop! ...
Question: in a post on this thread (above), you mention doing a 1ft. or 3ft. diameter loop for a backflip,

while in post 260 of the v2 thread (below), you mention needing a 1ft. or 3ft. radius (that is, 2ft. or 6ft. diameter) to perform a backflip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
I did NOT see it mentioned that V.2 also suffers from slow acro. response too? I tried a back-flip over my bed and it near hit me from the laaaarge 3ft radius it needs to perform it. I then fired-up my V.1 and did a back-flip.... V.1 completes the back-flip within a 1ft radius! compared to the 3ft radius of V.2 Just thought i'd mention my findings.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:58 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,830 Posts
i'm pretty sure both v1 and v2 need more than 3 feet of height.. mine takes like 5-6 feet to recover nicely... with a v949 though, 1-3 feet is reasonable...
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCut View Post
i'm pretty sure both v1 and v2 need more than 3 feet of height.. mine takes like 5-6 feet to recover nicely... with a v949 though, 1-3 feet is reasonable...
Check out the V202 review thread, I've pulled off some and recovered in 1 to 2 feet pretty easily and Massive's video shows many more flips where he recovers at virtually the same height as the flip.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:05 PM
Joined Mar 2006
764 Posts
Reconfigured leds since I lost one red one. I like it better this way actually. Before at a distance they would blur some or get blocked by a motor when they were under a leg.
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76