HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:54 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
So no battery hit from the telemetry function? All I've heard is the opposite. I guess so much that I haven't bothered to mess with it. This is good news if I'm understanding correctly lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
@Dankar04
I was a bit bummed when I thought the telemetry reception on the 7E would shorten flight times too so I asked on another thread...

Originally Posted by BD Murdock
So in other words all V1's are sending telemetry all the time as it is?

This response from FDR_;

Yep.
There is nothing in the sent out binding and data packages, that would instruct the rx whether it should send telemetry data or not...

So in other words the telemetry is already being sent by the Rx therefore flight times shouldn't change at all while monitoring telemetry. It might affect the Tx batteries, by how much I've no idea.
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:25 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,582 Posts
I was under the impression that telemetry needs to be enabled (firmware upgrade) before it will transmit.
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined May 2011
655 Posts
The QR Ladybird v1 already had a telemetry enabled firmware when it came out.
There is no fw for it without telemetry.

The rest since the LB came out without telemetry, but it is probably to not have to have an FCC id, which is an expensive procedure.
If the user upgrades it to send telemetry, it will be his reliability...

While with a non-telemetry fw it will consume less power, I think it is nearly negligable to the power consumed by the motors...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:22 AM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
310 Posts
I have two LB QR. Never upgraded the software.

Always use telemetry enabled on my Devo7E. The feature prolongs battery cycle life, and provides the opportunity to conduct controlled landings nearby before battery is empty.

Flying time is between 5-9 minutes, depending on flying style, battery manufacturer, battery status, outside temperature, and the condition of the bird.

When using quality, healthy batteries (with low internal resistance), the battery alarm is set to 3.4Volt. Then there is some 20 seconds battery life left when the alarm beeps.
Stenkryparen is offline Find More Posts by Stenkryparen
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:59 AM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenkryparen View Post
I have two LB QR. Never upgraded the software.

Always use telemetry enabled on my Devo7E. The feature prolongs battery cycle life, and provides the opportunity to conduct controlled landings nearby before battery is empty.

Flying time is between 5-9 minutes, depending on flying style, battery manufacturer, battery status, outside temperature, and the condition of the bird.

When using quality, healthy batteries (with low internal resistance), the battery alarm is set to 3.4Volt. Then there is some 20 seconds battery life left when the alarm beeps.
I use the telemetry on the Ladybird V2 with my Devo10 but I set the battery alarm to 3.7V. A healthy fully charged LiPo will be at 4.2V so it's better not to discharge below 3.7V to prolong battery life.

I usually get 6-8 minutes of flying time.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:33 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Anything between 6-8 minutes works for me honestly. I'm going to run a few packs through tonight after work and play with the telemetry function. Never really took a look at it. I've just been keeping my flights to about 5 minutes. A couple of random checks have always shown the battery to be a safe bit above the 3.4-3.7v range... as I've mostly just flown it leisurely around the living room.

I should try to be more concerned and monitor more carefully actually. I'm usually good about my batteries, but I've gotten a bit lazy with these little $2-3 batteries.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Mar 2006
769 Posts
You all are making me want to get a 7E to use this function...
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:49 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
I just bought one a few weeks ago, and honestly haven't had the time to really play with it. Going to make a point to over Christmas though I need to read up on the forum and program it for mode changes etc. All I've done is fly a couple of quick packs with it once so far.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Mar 2006
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Twoskids View Post
I just bought one a few weeks ago, and honestly haven't had the time to really play with it. Going to make a point to over Christmas though I need to read up on the forum and program it for mode changes etc. All I've done is fly a couple of quick packs with it once so far.
can you do me a favor when you get time and measure this TX. Length and width. I'm curious if i can fit it in my lunch box like i do my Helimax TX now.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:31 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777 View Post
I picked up another Ladybird and the body was black.
So I looked through my junk box and found a V911 heli body.
I added a bit of foam to fill in the rear and added a tail.
It sure makes orientation a lot easier!
Very interesting...kinda looks like the Area Ethos canopy a bit.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Regarding the telemetry function of the Devo 7E, I've seen advertising pics of it that also appear to show altitude and GPS readings as well. I guess this is probably too much to hope for though eh?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:04 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
@ Muck... Sure no problem. I'll be glad to when I get home from work this evening.

Murdock, I've never heard of that one, but honestly I'm embarrassed to say I know nothing about that transmitter, even though I own one.

All this talk though is making me itch to get home and start a few days vacation to become better acquainted though lol
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Mar 2006
769 Posts
Quote:
@ Muck... Sure no problem. I'll be glad to when I get home from work this evening.

Murdock, I've never heard of that one, but honestly I'm embarrassed to say I know nothing about that transmitter, even though I own one.

All this talk though is making me itch to get home and start a few days vacation to become better acquainted though lol
no worries, i googled it. Wigth*Height*Thick: 154*150*56* mm
Now you can just go play LOL
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to stay in touch with you on this as I have a Devo 7E on the way. This will be my first programmable radio so I'm really looking forward to it.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
LOL... that saves enough time to throw another one on the charger!!