HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Hey Y'all,

I thought you might like to see my boy in action. He's been a fan of retrieving a downed LB for a while, but this is the first time he tries to take the tx out of my hand. Enjoy,

Rafa

The boy seems to enjoy remote control. (1 min 23 sec)

The boy seems to enjoy remote control. Part 2. (0 min 58 sec)
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
You know he is small enough to be lifted by a hexacopter. I'm sure he'll live to see the day when he can summon a human transport multirotor to go shopping. Just use an app on his smartphone (or implant) and one shows up at his door.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,607 Posts
haha, awesome.. Won't be too long before he's flying his own around

How old is he? My daughter just turned one.. I hope she is in to RC aircraft!! She likes the Ladybird, just points at it and watches it the whole time.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:19 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
That's too cool...wonder what kinda flying toys he'll have when he's your age...
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:24 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Thanks y'all. He's a year and two months. Given all that's happened in our r/c world in just the past few years, it's pretty scary to think about the things these kids will be playing with. Jetson's, here we come!

Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
You know he is small enough to be lifted by a hexacopter. I'm sure he'll live to see the day when he can summon a human transport multirotor to go shopping. Just use an app on his smartphone (or implant) and one shows up at his door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
haha, awesome.. Won't be too long before he's flying his own around

How old is he? My daughter just turned one.. I hope she is in to RC aircraft!! She likes the Ladybird, just points at it and watches it the whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
That's too cool...wonder what kinda flying toys he'll have when he's your age...
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,607 Posts
Finally picked up an 808 cam! Found it in the classifieds, it's a #11 720p.

The ladybird lifts it fine, but I'd like to see about using the ladybird's battery to power it and save weight... I'm guessing just wire the 808 power wires to a motor plug and plug into spare port on ladybird board?

I want to be able to connect the stock battery back for use on other models too though..

Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
I've done the exact same thing Turbo, the problem you run into with powering the cam from the flight battery is the digital noise from the brushed motors of the LB. It ended up looking like static horizontal lines across the picture. I ended up getting a little 3.7V 30mah lipo to power the cam. It would easily get 4-5 5 minute segments during tests.

The other problem I ended up running into, and still haven't figured out, is that my cam would just shut off in flight as if there was some signal it was getting from the LB. It'll just shut down after a few seconds. Doesn't do it detached from the LB, just during a flight. Not sure what the issue is.

In any case good luck and post some vids when you're airborn!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Oct 2002
1,607 Posts
Ahhh. I see.. Makes sense!! I will look into a tiny battery for it.. Thanks for the recommendation!

Here is first video - just a quick test flight in the backyard. I am going to hook it to my Sbach next!

QR Ladybird with 808 #11 keychain cam (0 min 0 sec)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:58 AM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,255 Posts
Don't forget BD, the temperature will just kill that batt really fast if it's exposed to ext air. Even the LB gets very short flight times when it's cold. I have 2 #16 cams, one on the plane, and one on my cap, In this season, the batt in the plane dies so fast the cam doesn't have time to close the file, making the film it does take useless, while the one on the cap works fine. I know it isn't the batts themselves as I used two lb batteries to power the cams.
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Oct 2002
1,607 Posts
Huh - just happened! Worked fine on LB, but I put it on the Sbach and it cut off after 1.5 mins or so... Could have been cold or interference or whatever.. Will have to play with it some more!!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
Don't forget BD, the temperature will just kill that batt really fast if it's exposed to ext air. Even the LB gets very short flight times when it's cold. I have 2 #16 cams, one on the plane, and one on my cap, In this season, the batt in the plane dies so fast the cam doesn't have time to close the file, making the film it does take useless, while the one on the cap works fine. I know it isn't the batts themselves as I used two lb batteries to power the cams.
Makes sense, problem is when this shut down problem started it wasn't cold yet, at least 60 to 70 degrees F.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
Ahhh. I see.. Makes sense!! I will look into a tiny battery for it.. Thanks for the recommendation!

Here is first video - just a quick test flight in the backyard. I am going to hook it to my Sbach next!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsXv7b8sNtE&hd=1
Nice vid Turbo, very nice. Little shakey but still great stuff. So you're a pincher...I've never been able to use my thumbs and index fingers, just can't do it. Always been just thumbs. Everybody tells me there's better control because you have instant counter (push / pull) but it doesn't matter just can't do it.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:43 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,255 Posts
What's the temp there? Wind chill is definitely a factor. I had um Corsair, and gets 45 seconds to lvc in cold weather.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:44 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,255 Posts
How old is the battery? The batteries in the #16 cam went bad really fast, so maybe they're just dead. (probably just a weensy little thing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
Makes sense, problem is when this shut down problem started it wasn't cold yet, at least 60 to 70 degrees F.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,607 Posts
Here's the Sbach vid. Cut out at 1.5 mins for some reason.

808 Keychain cam testing onboard the UMX Sbach 342 (1 min 35 sec)