Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:06 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
Hi BD,

I'm an architect and building contractor by trade, it took me about 2 years to figure out how to build the LDCCD...I don't think I'm willing to give that up just yet.

BTW, it's "Heat Shrink" not "Shrink Wrap", shrink wrap is what the box is covered with when you buy a new product.

Regards,
John
Ya I know it...I work with shrink wrap way too much. I totally understand about the LDCCD...I just need to keep learning and figure out how to get rid of the resistors. They're ok...just creates that damn 'rats nest'.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
Hey BD, you may find this page useful.
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ing-regulators

I have a purchased unit that has a pot for a range of voltages out and uses switching for efficiency. It's much bigger at about the size of a thumb nail but can take a couple amps and under a tenner. I'm new to electronics so can't help on an exact schematic yet.

I'm sure something built for a specific voltage in and out would be much cheaper and smaller

What about those motors guys, are they all the same?
Thanks Micro...looks interesting.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:12 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Hey BD, you may find this page useful.
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ing-regulators

I have a purchased unit that has a pot for a range of voltages out and uses switching for efficiency. It's much bigger at about the size of a thumb nail but can take a couple amps and under a tenner. I'm new to electronics so can't help on an exact schematic yet.
With these very small quads and helis, it's all about weight.

When Walkera designed the Ladybird they had a specific flying weight in the program for ultimate performance, a gram or so centrally distributed would not affect that very much if at all. A thumbnail sized potentiometer alone would be enough to cause wright problems with a quad the size of the Ladybird.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:53 PM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,381 Posts
Jon, i'm not trying to take any credit or business away from you or anything but while the larger unit I have may be oversized and overpriced for the job it does only way 1.3g. Just something I had left from a project I though may help and the link was more for the tutorials at the bottom.

I have a range of batteries from 7.8g to 9.4g that all fly great in the LB, that tells me it would work if central. Less than ideal, I agree but hey i'm at the limits of my knowledge here and trying to help.

When I first got into RC stuff and found out that power reduces as the battery voltage drops I always wondered why this constant stable voltage approach wasn't an option for higher power stuff for consistent performance through the entire battery pack with the trade off of a shorter run time. The links at the bottom of that page really helped shed some light on it for me.
microrcfiend is online now Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:22 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Jon, i'm not trying to take any credit or business away from you or anything but while the larger unit I have may be oversized and overpriced for the job it does only way 1.3g. Just something I had left from a project I though may help and the link was more for the tutorials at the bottom.

I have a range of batteries from 7.8g to 9.4g that all fly great in the LB, that tells me it would work if central. Less than ideal, I agree but hey i'm at the limits of my knowledge here and trying to help.

When I first got into RC stuff and found out that power reduces as the battery voltage drops I always wondered why this constant stable voltage approach wasn't an option for higher power stuff for consistent performance through the entire battery pack with the trade off of a shorter run time. The links at the bottom of that page really helped shed some light on it for me.
No problem, this is not my business nor will it ever be, it's just my hobby.

I know that the Ladybird is capable of lifting a few grams but it's not intended for lifting and flying well with a lot of extra weight. I'm just experimenting with very light weight solutions.

BTW it's John not Jon,
Regards
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:43 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
I tried some various led configurations, I am no electrician by any means I just am having fun learning as I go along. I must need a LDCCD, hehe, because I tried using two 3mm orange, two 3mm green, and one 5mm white, did not work at all when I did a series circuit, only two on a circuit would work, but did a compound circuit and worked....but the orange turn red and the green turns yellow and I am guessing too much juice and they need to be regulated. I used a resistor but it dims to the point you barely see them. I will try more configurations, add a voltage regulator and see if that helps.

Has anyone tried these? I was at my LHS today and they have these and one of the employees told me they work great, showed me video of them on his plane and really did look nice.....

tinybritelights.com product install (1 min 13 sec)
waveOmatic is offline Find More Posts by waveOmatic
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:17 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
Gents,
Do an RCG search for "LED driver circuit" and "light weight LED driver". You will get many good simple and light-weight DIY options.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Dec 09, 2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
So I decided to run down to the hobby shop before the close, grabbed a set of the tinybritelights and did a test installation and looks nice and will really help navigation at night. The set comes with a red, green, white, and a white strobe led. Having fun setting them up. Going to solder them to the bottom of the boards leads. Just plugging them in between the battery connectors for now.

LB Quad led lights (1 min 5 sec)

I also made some motor arm extensions for the UDI motor arms I'm using and as you all know they don't have much "shock" value, a good hard slam on them and might have to order another few. I used heat shrink and shrunk it around the bottoms to fit nice and snug. Works really well. Sorry for the bad pics.

Thanks everyone for the inspiration, I'm having fun modding and learning a lot doing so. I am not going to be using the bind or update plugs on the board anymore because I almost had a short doing so. Jesolins, your advice you give to others as I have been learning from all that, its really solid. Thank you and the others for contributing so much here.
Last edited by waveOmatic; Dec 09, 2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:09 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
Hi W,
Nice idea on the light-weight shrink wrap motor shock absorbers. Did you put any foam or a bit of silicone in the base, or just use the shrink wrap? Thanks for posting!
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Well I'm poppin for a new Tx and it's either the 7 or the 7E. If I understand correctly the E is basically a Devo 10 in a Devo 6 body? I have another motive for this, at some point early next year I'm poppin for the Rx and gettin one of the Armattan quads as well. There's not a great deal of difference in price, anybody have any input as to why the E might be / not be a better choice?

Just for some context, I do not now own a programable radio and the main intention is to be able to use this with it's Rx later as I mentioned. This seemed like a good idea because I'd be able to use it / learn it now with the LB and then later as well.
Last edited by BD Murdock; Dec 10, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi W,
Nice idea on the light-weight shrink wrap motor shock absorbers. Did you put any foam or a bit of silicone in the base, or just use the shrink wrap? Thanks for posting!
Cheers,
Jim
Thanks Jesolins, no I did not, I was going to add some hot glue after I shrink them to fit, apply some from the bottom into the center but after some test flights they don't seem to need anything else. The fit is very snugg, shrinks to its shape so nice you can take them on and off easily but they won't come off on their own easily and do great absorbing the impact.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
1SQ Canopy

In case anybody's still curious, it does fit. It's tight though with shortest clearance being 1.5 mm from prop edge to canopy edge. Clear air beneath though all around. Fits very well, nice and tight, better material or at least same but thicker / sturdier and flies great. Orientation is easier, even with nav lights. Not sure if I'll leave it stock, I'm not a big fan of leaving brands on from other OEM's so my guess is I'll paint it. I'll leave that slick 'canopies canopy' though, I like that and will leave it nice and shiny black. Maybe instead of painting the entire thing I'll just find a cool decal to cover the '1SQ'.
Last edited by BD Murdock; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:18 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,558 Posts
Now that's a pretty nice looking canopy. Maybe I'm going to have to check it out!
Mitchie is online now Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,381 Posts
any help on motors guys?

Anybody?

Quote:
Are all the direct drive 7mm motors the same? Can I mix and match 939 and ladybird motors?

I find the ladybird motors are actually cheaper than the 939 ones. Are they better or longer wires or something?

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-7m...l?currency=GBP

and

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...6-p-49473.html
microrcfiend is online now Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:52 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Are all the direct drive 7mm motors the same? Can I mix and match 939 and ladybird motors?
Post 554 and elsewhere on this thread describes testing various 6 and 7mm motors:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710948
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama