HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Thank you, Wave. What kind of flight time are you getting? I'm thinking of making some kind of cage out of thin gauge wire for my U816. I thought I might try 24g wire and hammer it for strength.

I was trying to brainstorm what would be the best material per strength and weight. I came up with plastic (cable ties), thin wire, carbon fiber, and maybe reeds/cane/wicker strips, as the best bets.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
I'm getting around five to six minutes but that's guessing, I weighed the ties and its not bad at all for the amount of protection you get.

2.7 grams give a ton of protection, with them on I haven't even bent a prop yet alone destroy a motor or brake a frame. I haven't timed it yet, just feels about a minute shorter than usual. I will time it with different batteries, the nanotechs make it seem like they are weightless that's for sure. I have made lighter versions, like this one..

LB roll cage lighter version (0 min 20 sec)
waveOmatic is offline Find More Posts by waveOmatic
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:21 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muck76 View Post
Where did you find the Leds with wire on?
They are the ones I mentioned a bit earlier in the thread, from here :

http://store.sbs4dcc.com/leds.aspx

I bought a few of the 0805 smds. They come with the magnet wire soldered on, as well as a resistor. My plan weeks ago was to experiment a little bit and check the brightness of the leds and adjust the resistors used etc. They are certainly more expensive than buying the bare ones, but it's going to save me some serious frustration... and honestly, that's worth an extra couple' buck in my case lol.

There is alot of good information that people have provided me on the thread, I just got busy right before Thanksgiving and haven't had a chance to really play around with it like I wanted to do.
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Mar 2006
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Twoskids View Post
They are the ones I mentioned a bit earlier in the thread, from here :

http://store.sbs4dcc.com/leds.aspx

I bought a few of the 0805 smds. They come with the magnet wire soldered on, as well as a resistor. My plan weeks ago was to experiment a little bit and check the brightness of the leds and adjust the resistors used etc. They are certainly more expensive than buying the bare ones, but it's going to save me some serious frustration... and honestly, that's worth an extra couple' buck in my case lol.

There is alot of good information that people have provided me on the thread, I just got busy right before Thanksgiving and haven't had a chance to really play around with it like I wanted to do.
that's right, you bought the ones meant for trains.
I had some one build mine. I'll have to grab a magnifying glass and see what resistors he used..
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:29 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Yeah, the lights are fine, it's just the resistors I need to swap out. I'm hoping in the next week or so I won't be using my hobby time to catch up on work, and I'll be able to mess around a bit more with em.

To add insult to injury... I just received a new Devo 7 to use...
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:56 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
There's a specific technique to 'micro' soldering, it's probably a bit different for everybody.

I've gotten fairly good at it just learning along the way. I'm working on a NAV light set for my LB, just haven't had time to finish it up yet.

The LED in these pics is .5 mm x 1.25 mm domed with a 130 degree viewing angle. The copper pad to solder to is just the area beneath the magnet wire. I've added a pic with a stock flight battery for size comparison. The resistor on this red LED is 56 Ohms, the LED itself is 850 mcd. I'm using greens also with a 100 Ohm res. because they're 2500 mcd. It's an odd thing the way the human eye perceives brightness, red always looks brighter.

Takes bright light, clean tools and a steady hand. It's a lotta fun though.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:34 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
There's a specific technique to 'micro' soldering, it's probably a bit different for everybody.

I've gotten fairly good at it just learning along the way. I'm working on a NAV light set for my LB, just haven't had time to finish it up yet.

The LED in these pics is .5 mm x 1.25 mm domed with a 130 degree viewing angle. The copper pad to solder to is just the area beneath the magnet wire. I've added a pic with a stock flight battery for size comparison. The resistor on this red LED is 56 Ohms, the LED itself is 850 mcd. I'm using greens also with a 100 Ohm res. because they're 2500 mcd. It's an odd thing the way the human eye perceives brightness, red always looks brighter.

Takes bright light, clean tools and a steady hand. It's a lotta fun though.
Hey BD, I knew you'd figure it out.

I'm planning on soldering up some 0805's for a couple of 8 LED sets for the Laydbird this afternoon.

It is fun when you get the hang of it.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Last edited by 1Hammer; Dec 05, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,929 Posts
If someone decides to sell a PNP light set for ladybird, can I be first in line?! I made a light set but needed another battery. I can't find good LEDs to use.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
Hey BD, I knew you'd figure it out.

I'm planning on soldering up some 0805's for a couple of 8 LED sets for the Laydbird this afternoon.

It is fun when you get the hang of it.

Regards,
John
Thanks for your advice along the way John, it helped a lot.

I only solder in the afternoon or evening now, after the affects of the morning coffee have worn off lol. That's the only time my hands / fingers are steady enough. I use a pair of small needle nose pliers with a rubber band on the grips to hold the LED while I solder, actually pretty easy once you figure out the holding of the parts while you work on them.
Last edited by BD Murdock; Dec 05, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Finished them up, got a wild hair and just did it. I was going to install them on the outside of the motor housings, pointing outwards but this way ended up being easier and they're still very visible. On to the next project...
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:30 PM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,619 Posts
If it yaws slightly left occasionally and leans left and back when punching the throttle is that a dodgy left back motor? Still flyable but likes to wobble on the spot slightly too. Is there an efficient way to tell which motor is playing up?
microrcfiend is offline Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:00 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,964 Posts
Go to wot from hover, and the quad will go in the direction of the weak motor.
Mitchie is online now Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:56 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Made a super cheap and super bright light all thanks to the 99 cents store, who could imagine you can find so many things there to mod with I bought a couple of these key chain leds that are quite britght, I was actually impressed I'm thinking of putting one on my key chain lol. I'm going to go grab a pack of colored leds from Radio Shack and try some things out tomorrow, but I made a cheap bright navigation light on one side for now that works like a flying flashlight.

It's really bright and is really light, I also get 3 batteries for my pocket microscope.

Soldered them to jst xh connector but used the bind plug because the ones I ordered were the smaller three pins. Not bad for 99 cents and bit of wire, a plug and some heat shrink. Works great for just being one light.

waveOmatic is offline Find More Posts by waveOmatic
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:14 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
Finished them up, got a wild hair and just did it. I was going to install them on the outside of the motor housings, pointing outwards but this way ended up being easier and they're still very visible. On to the next project...
That's a very clean and sweet looking installation. Wow! You powering 'em off the aux plug right?

@WaveO ... That is VERY bright Guess it lives us to the "Super Lite" on the package lol
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:44 AM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Joined Aug 2010
463 Posts

@WaveO ... Why is E.T.'s finger sticking out of your quad ?
Does it help point to HOome
XFM is online now Find More Posts by XFM
Last edited by XFM; Dec 06, 2012 at 09:20 AM.