Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:56 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Twoskids View Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of adding some LEDs, and the 0805 smd's mentioned earlier in the thread seem like a great option. They're tiny little things though, and my soldering skills are weak to say the least.

I'm found some available with wire leads already soldered for $3.60 a piece. Seems reasonable to me, although I know the unwired ones run much less. Probably going to order a handful for the ladybird and maybe some other projects. Before I did, I was wondering if anyone found them for less on the web.

Searched a bit today and a bit under $4.00 a piece is the best I could do. Thought I'd ask as I'd laugh if people were getting them for $1.00 or something
Quote:
I also went ahead and ordered some LEDs to play with this morning. I love this little guy.
Hi Tony,

I solder all my own stuff. I buy 0805 SMD LED's in quantities of 50 or 100 and they end up costing me between 15 and 20 each. It does require a bit of technique to solder the magnet wire to the 0805's which takes a little time.

You should have fun playing with them...I know I do.

Post pics when you get finished.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Jun 2008
375 Posts
Banking turns...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
Killed three battery packs today. Getting much better at flips and rolls. I can actually flip it everytime without crashig now i like the way it flies on roll mode, but wishing i could dial in just a smidge of expo in both directions. Its a bit touchy for normal flying. But man, it picks up some speed and does some awesome banking turns.
Can't get over how awesome it flies
How are you able to do banking turns, its the big complaint that Ladybird owners have.....??? When using rudder it cancels out aileron ccontrol.....!!!
N3SHXX is offline Find More Posts by N3SHXX
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,778 Posts
I have not noticed that. I do all my banking turns coordinated with rudder. Just like fling a heli with HH tail....
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined May 2011
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I have not noticed that. I do all my banking turns coordinated with rudder. Just like fling a heli with HH tail....
Do you fly it in normal or flip mode?
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3SHXX View Post
How are you able to do banking turns, its the big complaint that Ladybird owners have.....??? When using rudder it cancels out aileron ccontrol.....!!!
Which LadyBird v1 or v2 ?
mystman is offline Find More Posts by mystman
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:58 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,195 Posts
I think maybe you are meaning more quick sliding turns, a banking turn is putting the lb up on it's side which as far as I know really can't be done at least I can't due to the mixing described above. If you aren't noticing it while outside give it a lot of rudder and aileron at the same time then let off one of the sticks. You will see it quickly jerk that way. The reason being is because the board does some type of mixing between these two attributes.

@ mystman mine is a v1
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:07 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Hi all,

Thought I'd post some battery information.

When I received my Ladybird V2 I wired up a few, new in package, Hyperion 240mAh 25C batteries I had on hand for it. Starting with a full charge of 4.2V using the telemetry function of my Devo 10 to set the discharge voltage of the LiPo to 3.7V, I get 5 minutes 30 seconds of outside flight time.

This is my Ladybird with 8-0805 SMD LED Position Lights and 1-1.8mm LED ultra bright Headlight as pictured in post #511.

Just for general information.

Regards,
John
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,778 Posts
I have V2 and been flying mostly in flip mode. Allows you to really bank the crap out of it . I'll have to get some video.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Mar 2006
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
Hi all,

Thought I'd post some battery information.

When I received my Ladybird V2 I wired up a few, new in package, Hyperion 240mAh 25C batteries I had on hand for it. Starting with a full charge of 4.2V using the telemetry function of my Devo 10 to set the discharge voltage of the LiPo to 3.7V, I get 5 minutes 30 seconds of outside flight time.

This is my Ladybird with 8-0805 SMD LED Position Lights and 1-1.8mm LED ultra bright Headlight as pictured in post #511.

Just for general information.

Regards,
John
is there a post on building these lights and driver or resistance?
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:59 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muck76 View Post
is there a post on building these lights and driver or resistance?
No, unfortunately I've been away from flying and the forums for most of the last year due to health reasons. I'm doing better now and really enjoying getting back into this great hobby.

The LDCCD I build isn't really resistance based. I only use 1 very small SMD resistor when I build my little current driver.

Regards,
John
Last edited by 1Hammer; Nov 01, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
A Devo7 for $59.90 + free shipping : http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...r-p-38733.html

A Devo7e for $78.00 + free shipping : http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...r-p-48117.html
How do these transmitters compare to Spektrum? I know they are cheaper but sometimes cheaper is not always better. Thanks!
spazmanian is offline Find More Posts by spazmanian
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:43 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Thanks for the information John. I believe it was your posts that put me on to the 0805's to start with. So thanks for that, as well as the last couple of posts. It's really helpful information.

I noticed they were much cheaper if I did the soldering myself, but I don't quite have the fine touch needed Figured I'd pay $3 a pop to save the inevitable aggravation I would cause myself hehe. ( In the future I may buy a few and practice a bit though. )

I'm also going to order a couple of the knock off arm/motor pieces, and steal a connector off of one probably, to connect to the board. Unless of course I break one in the meantime and use the connector off of that lol.
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazmanian View Post
How do these transmitters compare to Spektrum? I know they are cheaper but sometimes cheaper is not always better. Thanks!
You can use them with the LadyBird! The Spektrum can't be used as it's using another protocol (DSM2) the Ladybird doesn't understand.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:56 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the information John. I believe it was your posts that put me on to the 0805's to start with. So thanks for that, as well as the last couple of posts. It's really helpful information.

I noticed they were much cheaper if I did the soldering myself, but I don't quite have the fine touch needed Figured I'd pay $3 a pop to save the inevitable aggravation I would cause myself hehe. ( In the future I may buy a few and practice a bit though. )

I'm also going to order a couple of the knock off arm/motor pieces, and steal a connector off of one probably, to connect to the board. Unless of course I break one in the meantime and use the connector off of that lol.
You don't need to buy extra parts to steal connectors from...you can purchase these connectors separately.

From Chinese Jade Motors, ESC's and Connectors, scroll down to the bottom of the page ...only 5USD shipping no matter how much you order and Terence is a great seller.

Regards,
John
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
You don't need to buy extra parts to steal connectors from...you can purchase these connectors separately.

From Chinese Jade Motors, ESC's and Connectors, scroll down to the bottom of the page ...only 5USD shipping no matter how much you order and Terence is a great seller.

Regards,
John
This looks expensive.
Better take a look at this ebay seller : http://stores.ebay.com/HobbyMart-Shop

I always get my 1.25 JST Plugs/Cables for my LB hybrids there