HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:56 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,413 Posts
Hi BD,
Thanks for posting and I hope you are back in the air again soon. Were you only flying for 1min when this WOD occurred? What Lipo were you using?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
The case and the four tiny screws combined only weigh 5.5 grams on my scale but it seems to help to remove it. Since it's a #11 I have to mount it right side up. I have the camera battery taped in place on the underside of the camera, then the camera taped in place directly to the bottom of the flight battery cage. The entire set-up, with electrical tape, weighs in at 45.7 grams. My LB with battery is 33.1 grams so the camera and tape add 12.6 grams. The LB seems to handle the payload well and the added weight seems to calm it down a bit also. I'll shoot more when I get the LB repaired. The fall was from about 30-35 feet and very quick. I measured the crater left by the impact at 14" deep and 25.6" across.....
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:58 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Twoskids View Post
Hey Turbo, is this thing really manageable with winds of that speed? That's insane

Yes! Better than I expected! I just took it outside again, winds have calmed down a bit.. About 15-25mph. It did great! Sure it gets blown around a little, and don't get too high, but other than that, flew much better than I expected!
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:34 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
@ jesolins

I was only in the air about 57 seconds when the WOD smacked me and I was using the stock battery.
Just lousy piloting on my part I believe.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,413 Posts
BD,
Don't be so hard on yourself
A couple of things to consider:
- The stock Ladybird 240mah lipo is just barely capable with the OEM AUW.
- You added 12.6g so an increase of 38% AUW.
- The lift capability of the Ladybird is ~2:1
- Multicopters need reserve power for the FCB to work properly and compensate for hard maneuvers, descent recovery and wind.
- At the end of the lipo power this compensation capability decreases significantly in these 1s micros, so there is a greater chance of WOD if you do not land early with some reserve power.

I suspect that with your increased AUW and the OEM lipo there just was not enough power for the flight controller board to do proper compensation. You probably only have a couple of minutes of gentle flight maneuvers at 45g with the OEM lipo. I would suggest a better main lipo(reverse connector wires as required!), and attempting to further reduce your AUW. Perhaps a smaller lipo for the stripped cam to save some weight.

Nice work and keep having fun!
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
@ jesolins

I was only in the air about 57 seconds when the WOD smacked me and I was using the stock battery.
Just lousy piloting on my part I believe.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:09 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
Yes! Better than I expected! I just took it outside again, winds have calmed down a bit.. About 15-25mph. It did great! Sure it gets blown around a little, and don't get too high, but other than that, flew much better than I expected!
I'm taking mine out after work today... locally we're getting 15-25 mph winds all day yesterday and today.. with some gusts significantly higher. Might as well try it
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Oct 2012
30 Posts
I have a quick question??. Has anyone had problems with the Walkera 2403 not keeping a hover with their ladybird? I ask because I can fly the little bird fine but when I hover it tends to move up and down a little and stay. It seems the 2403 isn't very accurate...Meaning that when I just barely increase the throttle it doesn't seem very proportional everytime (this is indoors). Is it just the 2403, my ladybird, me? I thought about getting a different transmitter as I recall when flying an older helicopter with a JR transmitter it would stay hovering....
Any ideas here. Thanks.
spazmanian is offline Find More Posts by spazmanian
Last edited by spazmanian; Oct 30, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,413 Posts
S,
I use the 2402d and the DEVO 10. Both have the same decent hover control with the LB.
Not sure what a 2403 Tx is?
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazmanian View Post
I have a quick question??. Has anyone had problems with the Walkera 2403 not keeping a hover with their ladybird? I ask because I can fly the little bird fine but when I hover it tends to move up and down a little and stay. It seems the 2403 isn't very accurate...Meaning that when I just barely increase the throttle it doesn't seem very proportional everytime (this is indoors). Is it just the 2403, my ladybird, me? I thought about getting a different transmitter as I recall when flying an older helicopter with a JR transmitter it would stay hovering....
Any ideas here. Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Oct 2012
30 Posts
Hmm. The 2403 (mine is A) does not have the Devo slang built in and as such when I bought the ladybird it came with a magic cube that adds the DEVO part. So when you say decent hover control do you mean that you can basically get it to hover and it will stay there (on a calm day and/or inside) without you having to use much gimble (stick) movement?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,413 Posts
S,
Yep. With the DEVO 2402d Tx(no magic cube) it will stay in a hover with hair-like movements on the stick indoors/no wind. Where did you get your LB that came with a wk-2403 Tx and magic cube?
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazmanian View Post
Hmm. The 2403 (mine is A) does not have the Devo slang built in and as such when I bought the ladybird it came with a magic cube that adds the DEVO part. So when you say decent hover control do you mean that you can basically get it to hover and it will stay there (on a calm day and/or inside) without you having to use much gimble (stick) movement?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
S,
Yep. With the DEVO 2402d Tx(no magic cube) it will stay in a hover with hair-like movements on the stick indoors/no wind. Where did you get your LB that came with a wk-2403 Tx and magic cube?
Cheers,
Jim
From wowhobbies
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
jesolins,

It may have been mentioned by another poster, I'm not sure but why not use the same battery to fly the LB and power the #11?

The internal battery of the #11 cam is a lithium polymer cell (LIPO), which, when fully charged, has a capacity of 4.2V. Oddly enough, it also uses the same micro plug that fits the output socket on the LB, see attached image

All I need to do is manufacture a jumper cable to go out from the LB socket and into the camera socket. The camera battery is 250 mah and will record for 40-60 minutes when fully charged so the drain on the flight battery should be minimal at most, in addition to the fact that now the camera only weighs 6.2 grams for a total AUW of 39.3 grams. Should work right?
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Mar 2006
770 Posts
Do any of you reset the trim on your TX after a flight?
I found my LB was taking a little longer to pair when i had the forward trim set so it didn't wander when hovering.
After reading the manual trying to understand the flashing i saw it said that i needed to reset the trim to zero each time. When i did that it did pair a lot faster.
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,413 Posts
Hi BD,
You certainly can run it in parallel with the FCB. However in most cases with a video cam, the FCB and ESCs can induce noise that is visible in the video. That is why most go with a separate lipo. Test yours and see if you get lucky and noise-free video If not then you would need only about a 50mah lipo for the cam for 10 minutes of operation. And for reasons mentioned previously, the flight controller and ESCs need all the power they can get from a 1s to keep things stable.
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
jesolins,

It may have been mentioned by another poster, I'm not sure but why not use the same battery to fly the LB and power the #11?

The internal battery of the #11 cam is a lithium polymer cell (LIPO), which, when fully charged, has a capacity of 4.2V. Oddly enough, it also uses the same micro plug that fits the output socket on the LB, see attached image

All I need to do is manufacture a jumper cable to go out from the LB socket and into the camera socket. The camera battery is 250 mah and will record for 40-60 minutes when fully charged so the drain on the flight battery should be minimal at most, in addition to the fact that now the camera only weighs 6.2 grams for a total AUW of 39.3 grams. Should work right?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Mar 2006
770 Posts
well maybe the whole pairing with trim was wrong. Tonight it took about 30 seconds after the tx was done doing it's thing before the RX light went solid. It's funny, it goes solid before the radio is done but after the radio is done it goes back t flashing...

on another note i wanted to get a carrying bag/case for this. I see they offer $50 alum cases on ebay and WOW with shipping. I went to my local Menards and they have the same cases with out the cuts made for $30. I actually picked up a $10 12inch tool bag. Works well and all fits. It's not padded but i'm really thinking i do not need that.
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,413 Posts
Hi M,
I have never noticed any trim affecting binding speed on my LB.
Here is a good aluminum case deal: http://www.harborfreight.com/18-x-13...ase-69315.html
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by muck76 View Post
well maybe the whole pairing with trim was wrong. Tonight it took about 30 seconds after the tx was done doing it's thing before the RX light went solid. It's funny, it goes solid before the radio is done but after the radio is done it goes back t flashing...

on another note i wanted to get a carrying bag/case for this. I see they offer $50 alum cases on ebay and WOW with shipping. I went to my local Menards and they have the same cases with out the cuts made for $30. I actually picked up a $10 12inch tool bag. Works well and all fits. It's not padded but i'm really thinking i do not need that.