HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:23 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
@ Sharonx

Is this some new 4 wheeled six rotored mutitasking vehicle?
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Last edited by BD Murdock; Oct 07, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:35 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,702 Posts
Bird died in flight

I recently bought two Ladybird's V1's. One from T-mart bnf/ other from Xheli.RTF.
Anyway both fly wonderful but bnf after last flight one minute in falls to my bed.doa. Nothing/ plain cold nothing. Batteries are new/ no damage as I fly over my bed and nice soft landing. I'm so disapointed as Walkrea stuff for me has worked fine. My other L/B no issues/Y-6 no problems.etc. No warning just stopped dead in flight. Battery flew other bird fine. Sent T-mart a message, but online vendors suck big time when a problem. Bird never went in and no damage at all. I hear Walkrea is another outfit that doesn't care much about customers. Anybody know how to get some resuts with defective merchandise ?? Sad part this quad really flew nice.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:54 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I recently bought two Ladybird's V1's. One from T-mart bnf/ other from Xheli.RTF.
Anyway both fly wonderful but bnf after last flight one minute in falls to my bed.doa. Nothing/ plain cold nothing. Batteries are new/ no damage as I fly over my bed and nice soft landing. I'm so disapointed as Walkrea stuff for me has worked fine. My other L/B no issues/Y-6 no problems.etc. No warning just stopped dead in flight. Battery flew other bird fine. Sent T-mart a message, but online vendors suck big time when a problem. Bird never went in and no damage at all. I hear Walkrea is another outfit that doesn't care much about customers. Anybody know how to get some resuts with defective merchandise ?? Sad part this quad really flew nice.
Sorry to hear that, I wonder if there's such a thing as 'manufacturer's warranty' for overseas transactions. If the defect is not packing or shipping related, would the vendor take responsibility? Are they even expected to? I think it's worth a try, I think a vendor w/ a good reputation would rather take a loss than ruin their good name.

I had an issue w/ an item I bought from Banggood a while ago, and they promised to send me a replacement; but that item was DOA, so I could argue they were negligent in not ensuring 'merchantability' before shipping. (Or they simply did that as good business practice.)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:59 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,591 Posts
D,
Take a clear and detailed close-up photo of both sides of the flight controller board and maybe we can see the problem. Also a photo of both sides of the connector on the lipo you used would help.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:21 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,702 Posts
I will check it out and perhaps just a bad conection. T-mart replied with a sort of replt ?? Telling me change batteries in TX, charge li-po. Well thats not issue, but wait and see. Worse case senanrio is some real good parts. New board is allmost $50.00 wow !! Walkrea shoulf have direct support for their items. I have tried in vain with other makers.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
My QRLB might be here tomorrow according to UPS tracking, if not then Thursday for sure. Very anxious to get it in the air. I've never flown anything with '6 degrees of freedom' before. I grabbed the sale package with the 2402D, I'm sure for my present needs and experience it'll do fine and then some.

I'd appreciate any tips / advice you guys using the 2402D could post, I'm sure it would be very helpful.
Also is it worth the trouble to track down and purchase the UPO2 Firmware update gear? I would sorta assume that the newest V1'S have the latest upgrade / fixes installed but it's anybody's guess if the hardware you're getting has made it to the latest updates.
Last edited by BD Murdock; Oct 09, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,591 Posts
BD,
If you are wanting mode 2, then the Tx is already set, or should be when you get it. There is an undocumented 2402d Tx expo, by setting the AUX to "on" if you need softer sticks.

I have the UP-02. I flew the LB for a week before I loaded the new firmware. Unfortunately after updating the firmware, as others have observed, the application still says v1.0. Some say the older firmware had a slower throttle response and hover was above mid-stick. Mine starts hovering at 1/3 stick with the firmware it arrived with and seems to have decent throttle response. After I loaded the new firmware I noticed no difference in the throttle response. As I said the firmware program still will say v1.0 even after you load the v1.1 firmware. So for me it appears that the V1.1 firmware was already loaded when I received it and likely yours will be too. Long way around the barn for that answer, but then again...there you are
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
My QRLB might be here tomorrow according to UPS tracking, if not then Thursday for sure. Very anxious to get it in the air. I've never flown anything with '6 degrees of freedom' before. I grabbed the sale package with the 2402D, I'm sure for my present needs and experience it'll do fine and then some.

I'd appreciate any tips / advice you guys using the 2402D could post, I'm sure it would be very helpful.
Also is it worth the trouble to track down and purchase the UPO2 Firmware update gear? I would sorta assume that the newest V1'S have the latest upgrade / fixes installed but it's anybody's guess if the hardware you're getting has made it to the latest updates.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Thanks Jesolins...yep mode 2 is the only mode I know. The day I'm forced to switch will be the day I learn to program lol.

I'm just dyin to have a hands on real time comparison to my 929. I've gotten pretty good at flying that with all of its twitchy goodness & only the standard 3 axis gyro so I'm kinda anticipating with this 6 degrees of freedom I may experience something totally different and new.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:02 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,261 Posts
I think Jim pretty much got it all. I think you will really enjoy feeling the difference of direct drive vs. gear driven. I loved my mqx, but then I got this and it was a total new ball game for me.

Mine also came with the v1.1 installed so I am positive yours will as well, so I wouldn't worry about the UP02 part. This thing is so stable to be honest I have a hard time telling when it's in 6 axis or 3 axis. I mean obviously I can tell by the led and also by doing 3d maneuvers, but even in 3 axis it is rock solid stable.

There's really nothing I can say you need to do to it. I know the one thing I did do was take off the props and put the orange on front and black on back before flying, but that was just my preference because I'm used to the colored props being on the front on my mqx.

After a few flights another thing I did was spray my canopy flat black. Once again just preference, however I do feel it made the orange blades pop more, which helped with orientation at further distances.

Lastly, it did take me a few times to switch from 6 axis to 3 axis mode. The directions for this are a little lacking in the full description and I know some have had issues as well so here's a quick video I made the other night that will hopefully help if you're having issues.

You are going to love this little quad. It's my pride and joy right now and I fly the thing non-stop.

Walkera Ladybird / 2402D Engage 3 & 6 axis flight mode (3 min 59 sec)
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:51 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,702 Posts
Has anybody had a problem with conector or solder joint to board/ or board. My bnf V1 failed in flight just went south. Battery was good. I flew it my other V1 no problem. ?? All looks good and know battery conector is good just wondering about board conector.
I had one bound to 2402D other to Devo 7TX. Both work fine but Devo 7 Tx is better being has bb gimbals. The Ladybird does indeed outfly clones. While clones do fly nice, they take back seat to real deal.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:05 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
I have a question. I am tossing up between the V1 with 2402D tx for $100, or the V2 with Devo4 for $60. I do not want a higher grade radio as I do not plan to use the Walkera system beyond this quad.
At some point I will be looking to convert the LB to DSM2 (yes it is possible, search RCG)
If there was a DSM compatible clone already available in an RTF package I'd probably just get that, but since there isn't, the Walkera original is the next step.

Reason for The DSM path is I plan to get serious with planes rather than heli's and Walkera just doesn't have the focus for planes, so many ARF or PNP kits are DSM
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:41 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
I have a question. I am tossing up between the V1 with 2402D tx for $100, or the V2 with Devo4 for $60. I do not want a higher grade radio as I do not plan to use the Walkera system beyond this quad.
At some point I will be looking to convert the LB to DSM2 (yes it is possible, search RCG)
If there was a DSM compatible clone already available in an RTF package I'd probably just get that, but since there isn't, the Walkera original is the next step.

Reason for The DSM path is I plan to get serious with planes rather than heli's and Walkera just doesn't have the focus for planes, so many ARF or PNP kits are DSM
There is a bnf dsm2 compatible ladybird now available and no it's not the hybrid. It's using a dsm2 board that's the same size as the walkera board and has the correct plugs. I started a thread about it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1745470

Other than that if you plan to just go the spektrum route and build a hybrid then why buy a v1 or v2 and rather just buy an mqx board, frame and then 4 ladybird motors/booms and set of props and you are good to go.

Much cheaper then buying a full rtf package then having to purchase a mqx board and frame on top of that amount.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:46 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
There is a bnf dsm2 compatible ladybird now available and no it's not the hybrid. It's using a dsm2 board that's the same size as the walkera board and has the correct plugs. I started a thread about it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1745470

Other than that if you plan to just go the spektrum route and build a hybrid then why buy a v1 or v2 and rather just buy an mqx board, frame and then 4 ladybird motors/booms and set of props and you are good to go.

Much cheaper then buying a full rtf package then having to purchase a mqx board and frame on top of that amount.
I am aware that this is not the ideal path, but I am currently a student with minimal income and can't afford a Spektrum TX as yet. I'm only reasonably new to RC and have no hobby grade equipment with the exception of a battery charger.

The LB is a gift idea for my Fiancée to get me for Christmas.

I merely would like to know the differences between the two low cost RTF options, and whether the $40 difference is worth it.
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:43 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,261 Posts
Oh okay. Sorry about that. I was under the impression you already had a spektrum radio. Sorry if I missed reading that. I tend to miss things when reading on my little phone screen. .

It's really hard to say but I would say yes the extra money is probably worth it because the tx to start off with is way nicer, you can use 6 axis mode, but mostly if its not until Christmas you can watch for the next few weeks and find a good deal maybe at nitroplanes or xheli. I picked up mine 2 weeks ago when they had them on massive sale for $58.08, so essentially I paid the same price for it as I would have for the v2 with cheaper devo 4 tx.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,591 Posts
D,
These tiny wires and connectors on the mini and micro multicopters require very careful handling. The wires and pins can be pulled from the board and or connectors if not very careful. Never pull on the wires themselves to remove the connectors. The wires can stretch and break internally and also be pulled from the pins and flight controller solder pads..Since I have fat fingers, I sometimes use two small wire cutting pliers or needle nose pliers on the tighter ones, and gently grip the plastic ends of the connectors and pull them apart. Some Gents will trim some of the plastic rails on the fcb connector to make the connection easier.

If you post detailed close-ups of both sides of your flight controller and connectors, we might be able to help you trouble-shoot.

Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Has anybody had a problem with conector or solder joint to board/ or board. My bnf V1 failed in flight just went south. Battery was good. I flew it my other V1 no problem. ?? All looks good and know battery conector is good just wondering about board conector.
I had one bound to 2402D other to Devo 7TX. Both work fine but Devo 7 Tx is better being has bb gimbals. The Ladybird does indeed outfly clones. While clones do fly nice, they take back seat to real deal.