HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:30 PM
Queensland, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
Question
Quad Build Using HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V3.0 (Atmega328 PA)

hi all,
i've decided to build a quadcopter using the "HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V3.0 (Atmega328 PA)". As i am a noob to multi rotors of any kind, i am looking for the best set up for flying in + configuration. as mentioned by HK the control board firmware is already set to this config.

I have a couple of questions, mainly concerning the number of lipo batteries that is normal to have running the one quad, and the best frame design.

(as a side note: i will be building the frame myself, and want the quad to be fairly small 405 mm from the tip of the blades along the arms is the maximum length.
Also i have a 10x750 hollow carbon fibre tube which i was planning to use for the arms)

cheers to all that can share help in one way or another.
SJackson is offline Find More Posts by SJackson
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:15 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,659 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I would adjust the size to either a 5" or 7" prop. One 2s or 3s battery should do the job depending on the size and weight you end up with.
pug398 is online now Find More Posts by pug398
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:02 PM
Queensland, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
im using 5" prop and a ZIPPY Flightmax 1000mAh 2S1P 20C, ive got 4 of them, but if im only using one on the quad at one time, ill need to make my own split cable to power the 4 esc's yes?
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:16 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,659 Posts
For that size (actually most) I use a spider harness. Solder all black esc power wires together and all red esc power wires together. Solder a power pigtail (short two wire cable with battery connector) across the spider harness where all the wires are soldered together and tape or coat the soldered connections. All esc are then powered when you plug the battery in. A few esc have very short power wires on them but I just solder extension extension wires to them and still wire it up the same. The 2s 1000ma battery may get you 10 min or so flight time if you are just under 200g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJackson View Post
im using 5" prop and a ZIPPY Flightmax 1000mAh 2S1P 20C, ive got 4 of them, but if im only using one on the quad at one time, ill need to make my own split cable to power the 4 esc's yes?
Last edited by pug398; Mar 02, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:20 AM
Queensland, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
For that size (actually most) I use a spider harness. Solder all black esc power wires together and all red esc power wires together. Solder a power pigtail (short two wire cable with battery connector) across the spider harness where all the wires are soldered together and tape or coat the soldered connections. All esc are then powered when you plug the battery in. A few esc have very short power wires on them but I just solder extension extension wires to them and still wire it up the same.
cheers, this infomation is very interestng and helpful. this will certainly save in connectors as well.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:37 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,659 Posts
I recently built three of them so it is fresh in my mind

With 5" props you will need a minimum of 2000kv on 2s to hover 200g in the air about half throttle. They pull about 4A each. 3000kv motors with 5" tri blades pull about 5.9A .
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:46 AM
Queensland, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
I recently built three of them so it is fresh in my mind

With 5" props you will need a minimum of 2000kv on 2s to hover 200g in the air about half throttle. They pull about 4A each. 3000kv motors with 5" tri blades pull about 5.9A .
the current motor im using is 2100kv with the suggested prop 5x3, supposed to pull just over 300g, so i think it would be fine
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, AZ, Seligman
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
You can also use one of these for connecting ESCs. http://www.goodluckbuy.com/multicopt...ion-board.html
Also you will like the board you chose. I am flying with a Hobby King v2 (now v2.1) board, also still in + mode. Flys really good right out of the box, even before you "dial it in" (gyro pots).
Dave8888 is offline Find More Posts by Dave8888
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:25 PM
Queensland, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8888 View Post
You can also use one of these for connecting ESCs. http://www.goodluckbuy.com/multicopt...ion-board.html
Also you will like the board you chose. I am flying with a Hobby King v2 (now v2.1) board, also still in + mode. Flys really good right out of the box, even before you "dial it in" (gyro pots).
thats great news, i built a tricopter before this, but have had no luck at flying it... my friend has got a couple of years experiance flying planes and heli's helped build it, and programed the tx so it wold work... just having a few problems taking off (ie. the motors start at different times and it wants to flip over cuz the motors arnt pulling (roughly) the same at the same time)

cheers for the new about the control board though, this has increased my confidence in this project.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Did you calibrate the throttle on the ESCs?
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:17 PM
Queensland, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8888 View Post
Did you calibrate the throttle on the ESCs?
no im not sure how to do that on these esc's
they are hobbyking 40-50amp esc's
if you could help that would be great
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:29 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2010
150 Posts
This will help you with your build and set up. beast of luck
[URL="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/David/Desktop/ALL%20FOLDERS/Quad%20Set-up/KK%20flight-controller%20Quadcopter%20setup%20guide.htm"]
Flightbox is offline Find More Posts by Flightbox
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:54 PM
Queensland, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
wel i think i calibrated my escs for my tri... it flew about 0.5m off the ground.
and then had a bit of a spaz, the escs are still running at different times. but they seem to hold it in the air sortof well
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:55 PM
Queensland, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightbox View Post
This will help you with your build and set up. beast of luck
[URL="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/David/Desktop/ALL%20FOLDERS/Quad%20Set-up/KK%20flight-controller%20Quadcopter%20setup%20guide.htm"]
sorry mate but this doesnt want to open...?
Last edited by SJackson; Mar 03, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJackson View Post
no im not sure how to do that on these esc's
they are hobbyking 40-50amp esc's
if you could help that would be great
This is how I did mine. I have Hobby King SS Series 18-20 (card programmable) ESCs and now they all start at the same time. Are yours the SS Series?

Calibrating the throttle range on the ESC’s
This is to ensure that all the ESC’s have the same throttle range end points. This step only
needs to be performed once. Fail to do this calibration can result in an uncontrollable
platform. If you ever install new ESC’s this step needs to be performed again.
Never perform this step with the props mounted!
- Make sure that the flight-controller is turned off
- Turn the Yaw pot to the MIN position
- Turn on the transmitter
- Move the throttle stick to top (full)
- Turn on the flight-controller
- Wait until the ESC's beeps twice after the initial beeps. (Plush and SS ESC's)
- Swiftly move the throttle stick fully down (closed). The ESC’s beeps
- Power off the flight-controller
- Restore the yaw pot to around 50%