Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Contest
The march big sky international electric soaring contest

THE MARCH BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC LAUNCHED GLIDERS
THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING
RULES AND INFO:
Contest will run from 12:01 am March 1 to 11:59 PM March 31 Eastern US time.
The contest is for ALL electric launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills.
The contest is open this to all e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.
In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into two classifications, 2-meter and under, and Open class.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor. I expect to see themal times in excess of 30 minutes and slope times in excess of an hour. But you are welcome to post any flight time you wish. Get your name on the list and be famous!

THE PLANES:
* Any electric motor system
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction

BIG SKY - THERMAL SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. I have multiple timers on my radio so I can do this with my radio alone. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.

BIG SKY - SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.

Report Format:
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
Thermal or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.
I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 10 Thermal (2 meter class) top 10 Thermal (Open class)and top ten Slope reports. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.

THREAD CONTENT -
This thread is for contest reports and for discussion about the contest only.

Contest Records:

Thermal:
Palo Lishak (aka TENDER in RCGroups)
Glider name: supra Stork electric
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: October 29th 2011, start of flight 15:50 CET
Duration of flight: 1:45:40 (11 s climb with motor)

Slope:
Hunnerbunner
Duration: 2:33:14
Date: 4/26/11
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Mar 02, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:20 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Thermal Leaderboard:

2 Meter Class

Nigel Sheffield
Date/Time: 3/13/12 1100
Plane: Art Tech minimoa
Duration: 76 mins

VegasFlyer
Plane: Radian RET
Date/Time: 03-04-12 1:30 PM
Duration: 61.58 min flight

Don Bourdon
Glider: Zepher 60" wingspan
Date: 3/17/2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Duration: 30:48

Robert Hubbard
Glider: Radian Pro 2M
Date and Time of flight: 30Mar12, 1250
Duration of flight: 28:00

Jumpysticks
Plane: Radian Pro
Date and Time of flight: 3/24/12-1 pm
Duration of flight: 17.55

Bryan Roller (aka "chickenwing")
Glider: Radian 2m
Date and Time of flight: March 10, 2012 4:00pm
Duration of flight: 14:07

Lance Brown
Glider: Radian
Date: 3/11/2012, 2:21PM EDT
Duration of flight: 12:20 (30s motor run) CAM limited

Tim Lynch
Plane: Graupner Elektro Junior S - with Thermal Scout & Eagle Tree Altimeter
Date/Time: 3/3/12 11:30
Duration - 09:09
Max Altitude - 939' AGL
Weather - partly cloudy, low 80's, winds 10-15
Sportsplex @ Coral Springs, FL

320 pilot
Glider name: Poly Pulsar 2m
Date and Time of flight: 3/17/15:00
Duration of flight: 6min 16sec
Motor run 18.3 seconds

Open Class

Forest Flyer
Plane: High Aspect 3.1M
Date: March 31, 2012
Time: 1:30 pm
Duration of flight: 81 min, 21 sec (20 second climb already subtracted)

Palo Lishak
Glider name: Sensor Q
Date and Time of flight: March 16th 2012, start of flight 15:00 CET
Duration of flight: 48:30

Steve Burns
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Hyper Ava Pro-e 3.95 meter
Date and Time of flight: 11/3/12 About 1pm
Duration of flight: 26.20 (flight was 26.46 inc 26 sec of motor run)

Leadchucker
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Pulsar 3.2m
Date and Time of flight: 21 Mar12 @ 13.10
Duration of flight: 25.55
on 200 meter launch with CAM

Slope Leaderboard:
Last edited by JumpySticks; Mar 31, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:50 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Gentlemen.......charge your batteries!
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:09 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
407 Posts
Tim Lynch
Graupner Elektro Junior S - with Thermal Scout & Eagle Tree Altimeter
Thermal -2M class
March 3, 11:30
Duration - 09:09
Max Altitude - 939' AGL
Weather - partly cloudy, low 80's, winds 10-15
Sportsplex @ Coral Springs, FL

Just a little something to get things going ....

I was able to find some good lift, but it was too far downwind - she was getting mighty small. I had to leave the good area & come back upwind.
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:58 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Belem
Radian
3/4/2012
12:30pm
12:42 with 40 sec motor

Nice day but I got out too early. Yesterday around 2pm there were turkey vultures circling everywhere. None when I was out today. Such is the fate of the domesticated male- got honeydos to get to.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Radian RET
2 meterThermal entry
03-04-12 1:30 PM
61.58 min flight
North Las Vegas, NV

winds were aprox 0~5mph
30 sec climb to 622 feet
max altitude 3050 feet
My Vario battery died about 15 min into the flight......
Vegas_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Vegas_flyer
Last edited by Vegas_flyer; Mar 05, 2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added log
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:22 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem View Post
Belem
Radian
3/4/2012
12:30pm
12:42 with 40 sec motor

Nice day but I got out too early. Yesterday around 2pm there were turkey vultures circling everywhere. None when I was out today. Such is the fate of the domesticated male- got honeydos to get to.
Hate to do this Belem, but the rule changed to 30 second motor run this month. Sorry!
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:29 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
A little windy, but did manage to find some short term lift today.
Jumpysticks
Date and Time of flight: 3/3/12-3 pm
Duration of flight: 11:02
30 second burn to a whopping 300 feet AGL

Gonna have to repower this bird.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Mar 05, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:58 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
No worries, the time wasn't much anyway. Will keep it in mind next time out.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:15 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
A little windy, but did manage to find some short term lift today.
Jumpysticks
Date and Time of flight: 3/3/12-3 pm
Duration of flight: 11:02
30 second burn to a whopping 300 feet AGL

Gonna have to repower this bird.
Why not just replace the stock spinner & blades JS? No need swapping motors, with 11x6 blades and a 50mm aluminum spinner the stock motor will make 600' in 30 seconds no problem, (200m in 25 seconds or so). Last time I flew there were two other Radian Pros being flown, both were stock and their owners were amazed at the improved performance I was getting with a $30 set of spinner/blades over what they were getting on the stock set up. They finally had me write down Esprit's website for them so they could order new ones for themselves, and they liked that a motor change wasn't necessary. Other than that I haven't modified my RP at all, and despite my thumbs it flies great every time, (at least every time I remember to not invert the plane, and lose the canopy and the lipo pack at the same time!!;;;;jeeeez!). Already replaced the canopy, so hopefully I can post a time soon.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:13 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
Why not just replace the stock spinner & blades JS? No need swapping motors, with 11x6 blades and a 50mm aluminum spinner the stock motor will make 600' in 30 seconds no problem, (200m in 25 seconds or so). Last time I flew there were two other Radian Pros being flown, both were stock and their owners were amazed at the improved performance I was getting with a $30 set of spinner/blades over what they were getting on the stock set up. They finally had me write down Esprit's website for them so they could order new ones for themselves, and they liked that a motor change wasn't necessary. Other than that I haven't modified my RP at all, and despite my thumbs it flies great every time, (at least every time I remember to not invert the plane, and lose the canopy and the lipo pack at the same time!!;;;;jeeeez!). Already replaced the canopy, so hopefully I can post a time soon.

Sonny
That makes more sense than replacing the motor. I have several props/spinners that I had ordered for the Ventus rebuild, I'll see if there is an 11X6 in the mix. If not I'll try Esprit.
Thanks for the tip!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Added flight log (graph) to my entry above:
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:21 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_flyer View Post
Added flight log (graph) to my entry above:
Great log.
Did you have to hunt around for new thermals or was this in and out of generally the same one?
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
I was moving around from one end of the site to the other. West, North, East and some in the South but was trying to avoid the sun. The thermals were somewhat weak. I was flying over four hours and had a lot of 15+ min flights. I also found out that my logger was set to overwrite. Almost lost the flight log, one more flight and it would have trimmed it off.

Hope everyone is enjoying this as much as me..........
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:52 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_flyer View Post
I was moving around from one end of the site to the other. West, North, East and some in the South but was trying to avoid the sun. The thermals were somewhat weak. I was flying over four hours and had a lot of 15+ min flights. I also found out that my logger was set to overwrite. Almost lost the flight log, one more flight and it would have trimmed it off.

Hope everyone is enjoying this as much as me..........
Yeah....keep em coming!
So you kept flying after this one? I would have been pooped out (and very satisfied with that "meditation" session, as I like to call them).

Glad you didn't lose this log....textbook thermal soaring!