Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:46 PM
Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
174 Posts
Discussion
Which FBL for a newish pilot, Blade 450 X or T-REX 3GX

I'm just getting back into heli flying having not got much further than lazy 8's and the occasional circuit in the past (but am perfectly happy hovering a FP or CP bird) and I want to go for a 450 size FBL as a next model. I don't want to have to convert a FB model so I've narrowed it down to the Blade 450 X or the T-REX 450 Pro 3GX. I know the T-REX is a better quality build being CF & Aluminium but the cheaper all up price and all-in-one spektrum unit of the Blade is very appealing and leaves more money for spares.

Any thoughts please?
Grant Smith is offline Find More Posts by Grant Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:11 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Smith View Post
I know the T-REX is a better quality build being CF & Aluminium
It is better quality but it has very little to do with the materials. Don't be fooled by advertisements which try to correlate quality and materials. Don't be fooled by manufacturing techniques either - "CNC" doesn't mean anything about quality, and yet the marketing department uses the term to imply quality. If you called them on it, they would admit "no that is not a quality statement"

If you want a FBL 450, the Blade is a really good option - I was actually calling around today to see if anybody had one in stock. It doesn't need any assembly and it has BeastX, which is generally considered slightly better than 3GX... but really, the best of both worlds would be to get a 450Pro kit and put your own AR7200X receiver in it - then you would have Trex mechanical quality, BeastX software, and a convenient wiring layout.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,139 Posts
I suggest that you look at the prices of parts and also local support first. You will really want to have some local help and support with a 450. Almost every heli shop and local club will have experience with Align. I am not that sure about the Blade 450, especially if you are in the UK. If you buy the Blade 450X, you should go over the heli carefully before you fly it. I have been hit by a thrown off blade from my 450 and cannot describe how scary and dangerous it was.

I am not really keen on RTF helis that are greater than 250 in size. The assembly is likely to be done by factory girls who does not have the slightest interest in helis. The labour cost must be way less than $10. If you must have a RTF heli, I would recommend it to be built and set up by a professional, even if it costs much more. For example, rc711 has a number of ready built Trex or Clone 450 with BeastX or Align 3GX installed for the radio of your choice. I don't think you will notice much difference between the BeastX and Align 3GX for sports flying, so you might as well go for whatever is cheaper for you.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:17 PM
RC Wirehead
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2011
21 Posts
Just finished bulding my 450 3GX woot! I will maiden flight tomorrow. For me, the other advantage of Align is that you get more familiar with the parts and what they do - for me this makes setup, maintenance and im hoping repairs much much easier. I LOVE my blade mcpx, but IMO as far as quality Align appears way better. I also did a few months of research - origionally i was gonna get the Blade 450 but was convinced many times over (by LHS's, online, pro flyers) to get Align instead.
sendittokeith is offline Find More Posts by sendittokeith
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:38 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,459 Posts
I have the Blade 450X and it is an amazing machine. Stable and powerful. If you are just getting back into heli's, I would recommend it. Mine flew perfectly out of the box. You can start flying immediately at a very reasonable price. Later if you want to build your own then go for it or not but, I doubt you will be disappointed with the blade.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:04 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
450x

I also have a 450 x and have been flying a 450 pro to,if you are wanting to learn then the 450x is brill, it will do anything from just stay in a hover of fly 3d, there again so will the Pro.the differance is which one scars you the most !!!!!!

The Pro !
Madyam is offline Find More Posts by Madyam