HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
IOM Vector vs Triple crown performance.

Well as title says really, I'm going to be building a IOM, but not sure which one to build.

I'm not to worried which one will be easier to build, but which one do you all think has the best performance?
quigs84 is offline Find More Posts by quigs84
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
From Bantock's web page:

VEKTOR – 2006
A round bilge hull of moderate beam for planked construction. The lines have been tuned to
give best performance on courses where there is a lot of reaching and/or straight line sailing.
A lot of club races have courses that are predominantly reaches because the race committee
does not take care to adjust the start line, first mark, or overall course to give the type of course
that is normally strived for at a major event. Some manoeuvrability has been sacrificed but this
should be less important as there will be less tacking involved. First reports are encouraging.
Gregg28 is online now Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:34 PM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
245 Posts
I think both are oriented towards club racing.

I'm tempted by Brad Gibson's Ska which I've watched performing well against top commercial boats such as Pikanto, V7, Shark.

Lines only 6 too.

Jerry
expat flyer is offline Find More Posts by expat flyer
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:34 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat flyer View Post
I think both are oriented towards club racing.
I think some one forgot to tell Graeme Howie of Western Australia that, just have a look at just about every ranking event held this year over here

http://www.rsawa.asn.au/index.php?op...d=56&Itemid=73
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:35 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
531 Posts
I built a Triple Crown and raced against Vectors. I would not hesitate to choose the Triple Crown again.

It is narrower than the Vector and very much in the design theme of the Widget (Same designer). The Widget themes can be found in the SKA and Britpop. (narrowish, lots of rocker, and plenty of fullness in the underwater bow sections)

Presently I am racing a SKA and am very pleased with it and highly recommend it.

If I were to start a new build tomorrow and wanted a boat with chines, then I would build the Goth from Frank Russell. It is also in the same design theme as the Britpop including the chines. (Personal note - I would move the fin and mast back 20mm from that shown on the plans.)

http://www.frankrusselldesign.com/Plans.htm

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:29 AM
Malaysia, Melaka, Merlimau
Joined Nov 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
I built a Triple Crown and raced against Vectors. I would not hesitate to choose the Triple Crown again.

It is narrower than the Vector and very much in the design theme of the Widget (Same designer). The Widget themes can be found in the SKA and Britpop. (narrowish, lots of rocker, and plenty of fullness in the underwater bow sections)

Presently I am racing a SKA and am very pleased with it and highly recommend it.

If I were to start a new build tomorrow and wanted a boat with chines, then I would build the Goth from Frank Russell. It is also in the same design theme as the Britpop including the chines. (Personal note - I would move the fin and mast back 20mm from that shown on the plans.)

John
I'm agree with you John. I move the fin and mast back 15mm in my Noux IOM building as a result ,It reduce nose diving in during surfing.Hope you post Goth building thread .I'm just to see her performance.
basha is offline Find More Posts by basha
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:52 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post

John
Thanks John. I am up in the air between building a Ska and a Goth. Sailing will likely be in 10kts or less. Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Gregg
Gregg28 is online now Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Jul 2011
531 Posts
I don't see much to distinguish light vs heavy air performance for the Goth compared to Ska.

The main issue with the Goth would be if you want to make a mold, to finish an FG hull, as the shape would cause issues to remove a hull from the mold. (My Ska is all FG as that is lighter than I can make a glass over balsa hull)

John
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:56 AM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
295 Posts
I am in the slow process of building a goth. How much difference in performance do you think moving the mast / fin back 15-20 mm will make?
A.B. is offline Find More Posts by A.B.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Jul 2011
531 Posts
HI Alan,

I think it will help a lot, especially at top of range for each rig.

I built the Frank Russel EMO and put the fin and mast as shown on the plan. This kept the weight forward and caused the bow to dig in, slowing the boat noticeably in gusts. Adding a 3 oz. corrector weight at the transom transformed the performance. The new owner has (or plans to) moved the lead back on the fin. to achieve this balance without the excess weight on the transom. The Goth has the fin and ballast shown similar to the EMO.

My suggestion is to float the bare hull in the bath and place the ballast in the hull and move it fore and aft to see the effect on the waterline position. I would want the waterline to be well back from the bow at this point in the construction (up to 6 to 10cm?). Just watch that the stern does not immerse.

Fin forward will give the boat greater direction stability (My EMO would point like the devil and track easily) compared to fin aft. Fin aft will increase maneuverability as the expense of directional stability.

John
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:43 PM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
295 Posts
John,
So if having the fin forward is also good, would you recommend just moving the weight back, leaving the fin where it shows on the plans?
Andrew
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Jul 2011
531 Posts
Hi Andrew (sorry I called you Alan - senior moment),

Moving just the ballast back should work fine. Maybe the best of both worlds.

Moving both mast and fin has slight additional benefit of putting more volume ahead of the mast to help resist nose dives.

John
Last edited by hiljoball; Mar 01, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:30 PM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
295 Posts
John I have been called worst things, thank you for your advice.