HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:47 AM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,474 Posts
Alert
F3K pilot now retired and chained to building board

Well, as some of you might know, I worked for Baltimore County MD. They offered a retirement incentive program and after looking at all the possibilities I elected to take it. Won't go into details but the RIP was offered and I took it. So now I'm home and pondering my newly acquired freedom. Would certainly like to expand some part construction activities and brush up on flying skills as well. I don't have too bad of skills with epoxy etc. and am looking to maybe break into some more building time in the near future. So if you have some ideas or maybe would like to collaborate on something, give me a shout and I'd be glad to entertain anything F3K related. Thanks for the bandwidth and launch high - range far and by all means, stay thirsty my friends. ... Kev.
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,661 Posts
Lucky you. I wish that would happen to me...

Sean
sporter is offline Find More Posts by sporter
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:18 PM
GasBag
Stewartstown PA
Joined Oct 2005
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSharbonda View Post
Well, as some of you might know, I worked for Baltimore County MD. They offered a retirement incentive program and after looking at all the possibilities I elected to take it. Won't go into details but the RIP was offered and I took it. So now I'm home and pondering my newly acquired freedom. Would certainly like to expand some part construction activities and brush up on flying skills as well. I don't have too bad of skills with epoxy etc. and am looking to maybe break into some more building time in the near future. So if you have some ideas or maybe would like to collaborate on something, give me a shout and I'd be glad to entertain anything F3K related. Thanks for the bandwidth and launch high - range far and by all means, stay thirsty my friends. ... Kev.
Sounds good Kevin! If you want to learn how to use my CNC router to make some wings and tails that OK with me. Just give me some parts for the use of it .I just don't have the time to do make scale planes and DLG stuff. Would like to see you do some 3D cores on it. Maybe someone will give you some code that you can use.

Erich
eschlitzkus is offline Find More Posts by eschlitzkus
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:53 PM
Make Flying Fun
Joined May 2003
1,474 Posts
Sounds like a plan Eric, ... trolling for some code now I suppose!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:10 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,488 Posts
Number of people in the area can generate code...
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:15 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,428 Posts
Congratulations Kevin.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:54 AM
Make Flying Fun
Joined May 2003
1,474 Posts
Thanks guys, staying tuned ! Cut some cnc cores yesterday and locked in the basement for a while! Trying some experiments that have been on the back burner for a whiile.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:59 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Kevin,

You have won! Congrats!

J
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:05 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,738 Posts
Nice.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:06 PM
Make Flying Fun
Joined May 2003
1,474 Posts
Ditto Tom, I just read your treatise on tail and boom moments over in Jiim's group build thread, excellent!
Quote:
I did some straight math on tail sizing when I did the design for the Fr3aK, which is where the tails come from. This is the second generation of tails on the Fr3aK with very similar sizing but different shapes and airfoils. The smaller tails on the Edge are designed to provide adequate stability and control when at 660mm. The horizontal on the Fr3aK was scaled up a bit under 10% as I wanted to keep the overall length of the boom a bit shorter. It will fly great at 630 or 660mm, whichever you choose. I have flown both with these tails. They are different but not significantly for the most part.

That's the simple explanation. Here's the nitpicky stuff.

Longer tail moment means more noseweight, and that increases the radius of gyration of the aircraft after release, resulting in a pinch more tail wag. It typically increases damping in the pitch axis as well, which results in an airplane that doesn't "show" active air quite as well. Larger tails allow you to carry a more aft CG position if you'd like, which alot of the expert pilots prefer, without the airplane getting "pitchy." The larger tail with an aft CG will have plenty of controllability with very little elevator deflection, which creates less drag when maneuvering. Larger tails also give better controllability as your airspeed decreases, which can bail you out of situations when you're not flying "perfectly" because of turbulence, distance, or generally nervous thumbs.
Wherever you choose to put them (within reason) will result in a decent flying model. Remember that 30mm is only a bit over an inch, so we're not talking about an order of magnitude difference. In theory, assuming linear scaling, my tails are still quite a bit oversized even at 630mm considering that the 30mm difference in length (4.5%) is smaller than the sizing difference (8.4%)
I think it's important for you guys to build them similarly, and I would defer to Jim for that decision. We had a brief conversation about the boom length a couple of weeks back but it wasn't very detailed.
RCG Plus Member