Next Angle in from the outer most part? 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:55 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
312 Posts
Jeeeesh................

Thanks for that info Lee, very interesting.
Now, I have even more doubts if my B-2 is going to fly, I'm sure it's not even remotely close to any of the specs you've mentioned.
DelRay is offline Find More Posts by DelRay
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:09 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelRay View Post
Thanks for that info Lee, very interesting.
Now, I have even more doubts if my B-2 is going to fly, I'm sure it's not even remotely close to any of the specs you've mentioned.
Of COURSE it will!!

And the more attention to detail, incl.those I mentoned, the better it will.

....but fly it will [sorry, Yoda]

xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:55 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
312 Posts
My B-2 wants to be one..............

Slowly, the progress is going forward to completion. Adding the retracts set the schedule back a little, but I'm hoping it'll be worth the time and effort.
It's foam, and being on the build table for so long, it's received more than it's share of hangar rash, so I'm doing a little fill n' sand with light weight filler before prepping it for the color coat.
I've got the plastic canopy and air scoops cut out and shaped and ready to epoxy onto the wing, I think they add a lot of pazazz to the project, and I'm trying to copy Josh's as closely as I can.
The wheel wells were filled in with some block foam I had, I made patterns and installed them through the openings in the wing. This would have been a lot easier if I was installing the retracts on the start of the project before the top sheeting was down, but it worked out.
When I bought the retracts and struts from a club member I never thought I'd be using them so soon, they're perfect for the B-2, and the price was perfect also.
My first plan was to "maiden" it before going on to the finishing/detailing steps, well, that plan got changed and changed again.
I'm hoping to have it finished and ready for the mall show in March, I'll probably wait to "maiden" it until after the mall show just in case I break it.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:24 PM
PecanPatch's Son
USA, GA, Griffin
Joined Feb 2011
265 Posts
Awesome! Looks great
Jmurdock is offline Find More Posts by Jmurdock
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:45 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,733 Posts
Thanks for sharing Jim.... am I gonna have to fly up to Iowa and test hop that thing for ya?
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:00 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
312 Posts
There's no anchor attached to your backside, is there?

Mark, that would make my day, c'mon up and let's get er' done.
Be sure to bring Josh and his B-2 along, we'll get some formation flights in.
The topside is all precoated for final finish, now to do a little fill n' sand and precoat on the bottom.
I filled in the two slots in the air scoop pieces , just some minor fill n' sand there and they're ready for paint.
Today I'm going to cut the back portion of the canopy, get it shaped and ready for paint. I've got some large chunks of nice foam, I think I'll use some of it for this piece.
Mark, let me know what time your flight arrives, I'll be at the airport to pick y'all up.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:38 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
312 Posts
Gettin' closer, a little bodywork goin' on ..

Wow, I look at the dates on the beginning of this build thread and it's been a year already. Time flies when you're havin' fun.

I did finally get the 3000mah battery from Grayson, it's a little different in size, but fits the canopy perfectly.

I was surprised when I called the hobby shop and she had three cans of Testors Gunship Grey paint, so I have that waiting to be applied after the maiden flight.

I still have to get the C.G. set and then it's ready to fly.

Then I'll finish the plug for the rear of the canopy and apply the gunship grey paint.

This project has taken me a little longer than I thought it would, but stuff happens.

I hope mine looks and flies as good as Josh's, thanks Josh for a fun project.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:17 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,733 Posts
It looks Fantastic Jim!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:22 AM
PecanPatch's Son
USA, GA, Griffin
Joined Feb 2011
265 Posts
Looks Great!
Jmurdock is offline Find More Posts by Jmurdock
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:05 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,733 Posts
Josh's B2 had one engine acting up... we have to get her ready for SEFF.
I snapped a coupla shots of the lexan vertical fins we installed. We proved it would fly with out them. But now he is ready to just have fun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:20 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
312 Posts
Fins....

A little P.M. now is time well spent, one doesn't need the workbench time at an event.
The twin fins look great, they won't be that easily seen being clear, but what the heck, if they improve flight performance.

Maybe there will be another B-2 at SEFF, hopefully, someone has been building stealthy.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 07:03 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
312 Posts
Patio paint shop......

The weather is finally letting me get outside for a little paint work on the B-2, the smell is a definite NO-NO in the basement, per the wife's orders.
I did sneak a few small spots awhile back, thought I'd better not press my luck.

I've found that the white, light weight spackling compound doesn't make good fillets for me, it tends to crack out. I'm using a water based , natural color wood filler by Ace. It smoothes out nicely and sands easily, and stays where it's put.

The primer is light weight, fast drying, and sands very easily. It helps fill in some of the dings, etc. I need to remember this is foam and it ain't gonna ever be perfectly smoothe.

The final color coat of gunship grey and detailing will come after the test flight, which will be soon if the weather continues to improve.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 07:15 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Looks SUPER Del !!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:56 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,276 Posts
How many sheets of FFF foam required for this plane? Thanks
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old May 01, 2013, 04:53 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar View Post
How many sheets of FFF foam required for this plane? Thanks

the leading edge is the original fold in the material.
So you need 2 sets. Make sure you also orient the ugly writing to the inside as well.
RCG Plus Member