Latest blog entry: SliderBat - a GeoBat derivative
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
310 Posts
Cool pics................

Josh, the mask of the canopy windows looks great, nice touch.
The UPS man stopped here today with two boxes, one from Grayson and one from Tower, hot dang, stuff to get my B-2 project started.
I did per your recommendation make the heigth of the main spar at center a little shorter than your original one, although yours does have that "slopey" frontal look like the big one, I kinda like that.
Maybe the small difference won't be that noticable, and allow easier assembly, we'll see how it goes.
By listening to the weather forecast for next week I might have a lot of shop time, sounds kinda wet and nasty for at least six days.
I've got no excuses now why a B-2 shouldn't be showing up in my hangar soon, just got to find that "get er' done" feeling, and get er' done.
Thanks for the pics, I printed several of the pics you posted off on paoper so I could have them down on the build board along with the print, they sure help a lot.
DelRay is offline Find More Posts by DelRay
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:08 PM
PecanPatch's Son
USA, GA, Griffin
Joined Feb 2011
265 Posts
Cool. Can't wait to see your progress
Jmurdock is offline Find More Posts by Jmurdock
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:51 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
310 Posts
Kinda a repeat, but.........................

Josh, I'm finally getting some progress made with my B-2 build, I was wondering if the priorities were never going to stop butting in, but that happens.
Luckily, the hobby shop had three c.f. .hollow rods, so I had them put back for me. Their supply of Depron wasn't to my advantage, they only have it in larger sheets, more than I'd really use, but I might still have to buy what I can get to get what I can.
All your build pics have really been a great help, along with the explanations of certain areas, it just kinda flows together.
Per my pics I did manage to get the l.e. c.f. rods installed, along with the c.f. midsection cross brace. Next I'll locate and glue in the main spar and maybe squirt a little foam along the l.e.
Nasty weather up this way looks like I'll have plenty of shop time for at least a week or so, that removes the itch to go fly.
Thanks again for the B-2 build project, I'm really into it now.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:17 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
JM, here’s mine ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:17 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,166 Posts
Awesome Job so far spike........keep the pics coming, you may learn a better way. It was nice having 2 of us when we glued that top wing skin down...... Bet you could use 30 minute epoxy tho and have enough time.
Remember to let the bottom skin lift up in the front so its not a flat bottom airfoil.
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:00 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
310 Posts
So much to do..............

GPW, nice detailing on your B-2, I'm a ways off from doing that yet, but something I hope to do to mine.
Thanks Pecan for the comments, they help. It's easy to not make sure the bottom skin is pulled up. The pieces that fill the sides of the prop tunnel I'll glue to the firewall first, their shape will make sure I pull the t.e. together and negate the flat bottom.
I'm a little vague on what you mean by the "bottom skin lifting up in the front" It looks pretty much like it's built flat on the build board until aft of the firewall.
I'll make sure the t.e.'s of the elevon areas are aligned correctly, this should force a no flat bottom airfoil in that area.
I think we're on the same page.
Josh, the tape on the elevons is just the trick, I have plenty, problem solved there. I was thinking (or not) too complicated.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:32 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
310 Posts
Air in......air out..........................

Not that it will actually do any good, but thought as long as I have to punch a hole in the firewalls for the motor wiring I might as well make then fancy.
The two scoops on the top surely need an exit for all the fresh air they'll be sucking in. The ply firewalls are now glued to the foam firewall crossbrace and it's ready to install.
Today is possibly a "sanding day", a job I'm not looking forward to, but gives good results. I've got a good sanding board that will make this task a lot easirer.
I'll then make the two servo mounts and get them located, there's a lot to do before the top gets glued down, I hope I don't forget anything.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:13 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
Del, Thanks !!! It’s just a printed picture glued onto my Flat “Simple B2” ... Sure looks real huh ... even at only a few feet ...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
Del, Thanks !!! It’s just a printed picture glued onto my Flat “Simple B2” ... Sure looks real huh ... even at only a few feet ...
wow, I didnt see that coming
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:29 AM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
Same!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:08 PM
PecanPatch's Son
USA, GA, Griffin
Joined Feb 2011
265 Posts
I was wondering how it looked so detailed
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:56 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
The magic of Photography !!!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:41 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
310 Posts
Kinda a repeat, but progress...............

I've had a lot of shop time lately, the weather has been nasty, so I've got a lot done on the B-2 project.
I made all the servo "Y" leads to length and partly routed, I still need to tape them down and dress it up a little, it looks kinda messy now.
I also need to make the servo arm extentions, I'm getting the needed pieces made for that project.
The two motors sound nice, I'm excited to hear what it sounds like with the props on it. The left motor will have the pusher 6/4 prop on it, the right will have the tractor 6/4 prop, it should sound very neat, I hope like an" old air raid siren" if I'm that lucky.
This has been a very fun project, thanks to Josh for the build pics and explantations, that sure helps, especially, the pics.
I mounted the speed controllers up on stand offs so a little air circulation could get to them from the air scoops on the front.
So far everything wiggles and moves in the right direction, pretty soon it'll be "glue the top down" time. I might need a few extra hands from what I've been told.
Rainy, wet, cold and windy here today, down to the shop I go.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
PecanPatch's Son
USA, GA, Griffin
Joined Feb 2011
265 Posts
Ashley from higher plane productions!