SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:43 AM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
291 Posts
New Product
GAUI 500x/ GU-INS GPS Owners Thread - Tips, Problems And Experiences

Let's start a owners thread about the GU-INS controller from Gaui so we can share experiences, tips and problems.

I bought the GU-INS in December 2011 and have had a few problems with it.
Got it to work, but experienced sudden irratic control behaviour with the 500x dropping from the sky in split second with no pre warning at all.
In the 2nd chrash it fell into a small stream and i had to retreive it by going out in the 0 degC water up to my chest to retreive it. Needless to say it was pretty cold.

Gaui have been great, and replaced the GU-INS for me since I had a lot of problems with it.
I also bought new ESC's, motors and new RX's and a new DX8 radio for the 2nd try at the 500x/ GU-INS, so ALL the electronics was new.

Been flying the new GU-INS 25 flights or so indoors to regain trust and confidence in the system. All has been working perfectly indoors. Both in "manual" and "auto balance" mode.

This last weekend, I brought the 500x with me when we went out to fly jets as I wanted test it outdoors and film a little.
It was a windy day with 10-20 kts winds. And bearing in mind that I felt it was a bit "jerky" on the controls in auto balance mode and the little I tested it in GPS mode before, I kept it in manual mode all the time and it flew great with no problems.
Video here:
RC Jets at Notodden - Birds eye view from a quadrocopter (6 min 19 sec)

Today I went out to test GPS mode for the first time with the 2nd GU-INS controller, and after a few minutes of light, testing GPS and RTH (working OK), it suddenly became irratic and dropped from the sky in a split second, exactly in the same way as before.

After the prior problems and mishaps and having to convince about what had happened, I decided to fly with a GoPro on every flight to be able to document everything IF there was to be a new problem in the future. So thuis time, I have a video of what happened + a look at the 500x after the crash + testing the battery etc.
I am uploading the video to youtube at the moment. The video is totally unedited.
Of course sent a new email to Gaui as well.

I will post the video here once it's uploaded.

This is a shame really, as the GU-INS seems so good when it actually works as it's supposed to, but these random hickups and becoming uncontrollable is ruining all the positive sides and makes me have zero trust and confidence in the GU-INS at the moment.
All I want is to have it work reliable as it is supposed to.

I will post again when the video is uploaded.
Please share your experiences good and bad about the GU-INS, and please tell if you have any affliance with Gaui or dealers.
sap_2000 is offline Find More Posts by sap_2000
Last edited by sap_2000; Mar 01, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:45 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
291 Posts
Video is online now.

Have a look and take your guess.
The exact same thing happened before in exactly the same way.
Everything stable and working well.. Then suddenly out of nowhere it starts jerking very violently and drops ot of the sky in a fraction of a second.

The LiPo monitor/ alarm was solid blue after the crash.
Steps are from full to empty: Solid blue, flashing blue, solid red, flashing red and last flashing red with alarm (that does not stop)
I put back 1950 mAh on the 4000 pack.

I have 4 of these packs, and also using them in planes with 4-5 times the current draw of the 500x. All well, and I often put 3500 mAh back when charging.

So. What to do now? Go out and crash again?
This is my 2nd GU-INS, and all the motors, ESC's, receivers and even the radio is new from the last time. Yet the excact same thing is happing.
Those of you flying the 500x/ GU-INS combo. What are your experiences?

I've sent a new email to GAUI. Waiting for the reply now.

Video:
GAUI 500x GU-INS Problem and Crash under GPS Mode 720p HD (12 min 34 sec)
Last edited by sap_2000; Mar 15, 2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Dec 2011
15 Posts
random hickups seems like Tx/Rx problem.
Do you use JR satellite receiver or traditional connection?
Nasamit is offline Find More Posts by Nasamit
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
I often think that problems could be in project but after some checks there's always a human or settings mistake. I just wander why a magnetometer is needed while using GPS. The magnetometer infact is very sensitive and many things can interfere with it: wiring the cables badly, some battery packs, magnets or strong electricity fields on the flight place.... It would be a nice option to be able to switch it off. Anybody experience the same?
Giorgiottero is offline Find More Posts by Giorgiottero
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:54 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasamit View Post
random hickups seems like Tx/Rx problem.
Do you use JR satellite receiver or traditional connection?
JR satelite receivers plugged into GU-INS.
1st GU-INS was flown with a JR 12x Radio and 2x satelites - crash
2nd (new) GU-INS now has a new DX8 radio and new satelites - crash

The JR 12x I use for turbine jets (2-300 flights a year or so) and no problems.
The DX8 is used everything else + FPV and no problems.

All the problems i have with all the rc stuff i am doing, is with the 500x/ GU-INS. Everything else just works!

If the GU-INS can't hande the satelites like it's designed to do, I will claim my money back for the two 500x/ GU-INS combos I have bought + all the parts I have bought and replaced for post and future crashes.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:57 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
291 Posts
Where are all the GU-INS/ 500x owners?
I can't be the only one on RCG with GU-INS....?

What are your experiences?
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:07 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
291 Posts
Got the following comment on the youtube video:

"I have the same Problems with my GU-INS. Works great in manual- and auto balance-mode. In GPS-mode it holds position for a while before it starts shaking, jumping or just falling down within a split second. Has definitely nothing to do with the Battery."

Clearly I am not alone having these problems
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:05 AM
Austria, O, Linz
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
Hello sap_2000,
i started a new test today, keeping my camera on, for documentation if it crashes again. And it did. I started in GPS Mode, crusing around slowly, then I moved throttle stick to about 75 % with no reaction for some seconds till it suddenly started climbing like throttle was full open. When i reduced throttle it began shaking and crashed. While dropping down i switched off GPS-Mode and tried to recover with no chance.
It's disappointing, because my intention for buying the GU-INS was to prevent my equipment from crashing but until now it was the reason for all crashes.
Looks like we are beta testers and GAUI has not finished it's work yet.
mapwog is offline Find More Posts by mapwog
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:34 AM
Austria, O, Linz
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
GAUI has released Firmware 1.2 but i can't find any documentation about the changes.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:55 AM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
291 Posts
@mapwog.
Are you using a seperate receiver, or stelite receivers plugged into the GU-INS?
Welcome to this thread. I saw your video of your crash at youtube. Please post the link in thread also

I have been talking with GAUI in emails for the last few days and got a notice about the software update.
I asked what the changes vere, and this is the answer i got:
"Hi Staale,

The firmware solves,
→ possible problem while using JR satellite receiver
→ output frequency for camera gimbal servo 50hz→ 400hz.
"

I have been talking to Gaui about that I think the controls coming from the GPS or when activating RTH is to violent and maybe cases wagging. I was hoping they would incorporate softer controls as well soon....

I am getting signals that it may be the BEC's in the ESC's that maybe is causing problems. I certanly not think it is ideal to plug 4 cheap regulators (BEC's) together as they maybe fighting eachoter causing noise or voltage drops to the controller/ RX.
Maybe that is why 1,2 or 3 ESC's get hot even when not flying??
Also go the advice to turn down the gain 10% or so for softer controls when executing RTH.

The next thing I will try is use a separate UBEC and disconnect the positive wires coming form the 4 BEC's to the controller + install the new firmware.

Let's keep this thread updated and get this problem figured out and solved.
It's very quiet from the other GU-INS owners. Pleasepost your experiences in this thread also

One thing is for sure, I won't be flying without a camera as I want to document everything....

Crossing my fingers.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:22 AM
Austria, O, Linz
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
Here is the link to my youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oTpeKrpmXs

I am using a AR 8000 receiver with one satellite. 2 weeks ago i removed the positive wires of the BECs and installed a Jeti-SBEC but this didn't change anything concerning behavior of the GU-INS. The only difference is that BEC No. 1 keeps cool now.

My camera will also be on for future flights.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:42 AM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
291 Posts
very usefull information mapwog.

That means that we can rule out the following:
  1. -External RX or satelites does not matter.
  2. -Power from the ESC's or from external BEC does not matter.
  3. -Not happens in manual mode.
  4. -If it was a problem with ESC's, BEC's, external BEC or motors, it would happen in manual mode also.
  5. -Lower gain on main and Z-Axis does not matter (I have tried).

My opinion: The control inputs from GPS under RTH or keeping the position are far too brutal. Kind of like jerking the sticks and release them from the end point.
Could be what's starting the shakes/ wagging before it falls down.....

After fiddeling with this problem for 2 months, it looks like all the external componets has been ruled out as cause of the problem.

That leaves the GU-INS software and/ or hardware.
Last edited by sap_2000; Mar 02, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
Gu-ins

I climbed 100mt or more and everything worked quite fine in GPS mode. Before each flight hoover a while at low quote, switch on GPS and see if it keeps position without wagging in circle. If so switch to manual or assisted mode, land and adjust "gain" (yes it's on the manual but I guess almost everybody aspects to switch-and-fly). The magnetometer is probably the cause of 500X problems and the lack of an efficient (interferences-free) power distribution design board helps accidents. Be SURE your power cables under the GU-INS are completely twisted.
Hope that helps.
p.s.: I just crashed hard today anyway but it was my fault... never lift under a tree :.(
Giorgiottero is offline Find More Posts by Giorgiottero
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:09 AM
Austria, O, Linz
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
I think sap_2000 is absolutely right. If everything works perfectly in manual mode as in attitude mode, then it should do so in GPS mode. External RX, extra BEC and different gain-settings did't change anything. Power cables are twisted too. In best case we can get this problem solved by software update or we two have buggy hardware.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:20 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
291 Posts
Cables twisted to max here also.
Also applied alu tape to the underside of the monting platform for the GU-INS to help shield of any interference or magnetic fields coming from the leads under the platform, and guess what....... NO difference

I have been getting emails and PM's from other people also having GU-INS problems, so we are CLEARLY not alone having these problems.

Looks like the ones not having problems, is the dealers/ testers, or maybe they are just not speaking about it...?

@Giorgiottero
Thanks for replying to this thread.
Can you please share with us what your setup and configuration is?
RX, BEC vs UBEC, gain settings and so on.
Have you ever had the same problems as we have had, or has it been working perfectly?