to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:03 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundayflyer32 View Post
Matt: I received my HK mount a week ago and it is a tight fit assembly. To mount it to my 4 I made another set of "plates" that fit into the top of the mount. I had some old fibreglass circuit board material around and the used the small mounting screws to attach them to the mount. Then I drilled holes in the fibre board material to match the mounting holes on the bottom of the 4. I used 4 bolts with rubber servo grommets through the board to isolate the bolts from the board. I also used 4 heli skid, soft silicone "nuts" to act as the main spacer/separator between the 4's frame and the camera mount.

I used 2 micro digital servos to operate the pitch and roll which worked OK. I tried it yesterday and used my wing cam enclosed in foam to see if I could get rid of the jello. Unfortunately, when coming back to land, a prop came off and I crashed on the driveway and broke a motor pod off. HK has the arms so I ordered spares today.

I will take a couple pics and post later tonight to show how I mounted the camera.

BTW, still getting jello so different foam or padding is required. The pitch and roll has to be calibrated through the I fly camera control page of the software. Be careful of the direction to make sure your pitch and roll is working correctly to stabilize the camera. Also, I found that the roll servo is actually moving too. Much but I can't seem to reduce the overall throw. Have tried reducing throw with the tx, but doesn't seem to stop the overall movement.

Lots of learning still. I am attempting to fix the broken motor pod with some JB weld and an aluminum strap around the pod and screwed to the boom. I will know tomorrow if this works.

Many thanks for the description and photos, I was thinking on similar lines, but you have made it much simpler!

I'll do that tomorrow, I think I have some FG board knocking around here somewhere.

Regard the jello issue, it's really hard to be rid of, and I can see the GoPro is a pretty tight fit in there, with only around 3mm (1/8") spaces above and below the camera, and I love how my bubblewrap idea worked, but it's going to be a challenge to do the same with this, because the camera has to be almost loose in there to stop it being affected by vibes.
I do intend to take my motors out and balance the motor cans with my android phone (seizemometer or something the app is called, can't recall right now)

If I cannot cure the vibes easily with bubblewrap etc then I think that is the logical next step.

Thanks again for your time given to describe and post pics

Am sorry to hear of your crash, always checking the dome nut tightness on my props for that very reason, but at least spares are easy to procure at the moment I hope your JB / Strap fix holds out for now so you can still fly.
I'll let you know how the roll servo setup comes out on mine, seems odd that it's not letting you limit the movement, but won't know until I try after attaching my servos (next job)

I'll let you know how my installation goes, am determined to finish the job tomorrow.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Last edited by Matt Halton; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:17 AM
Upside down, downunder in Oz
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
249 Posts
Quote:
Also, I found that the roll servo is actually moving too. Much but I can't seem to reduce the overall throw. Have tried reducing throw with the tx, but doesn't seem to stop the overall movement.
Try moving the arm from mount to servo to a hole on servo arm closer to servo, and/or the one on the mount further out. That will reduce movement
Moby58 is online now Find More Posts by Moby58
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:54 PM
France, Aquitaine, Bordeaux
Joined Dec 2012
128 Posts
fiugitive, you have a PM
h.300 is offline Find More Posts by h.300
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:45 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby58 View Post
Try moving the arm from mount to servo to a hole on servo arm closer to servo, and/or the one on the mount further out. That will reduce movement
Good idea, but the servo output horns, or disks are directly fitted to plates on the cam mount, it's direct drive, so isn't possible to alter the geometry as such, like you can on planes.

I have just finished mine, servos are mounted and just leaves fixing to the quad body, then I can try this out.

Still not sure if I can beat the jello yet, but will see, will also let you know how my roll servo is after configuring it through the board.

Here's a tip for anyone else using one of these HK cam mounts, install the servo splined horns as you go, I had to take mine half apart again to install them

cheers

Matt
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:55 AM
France, Aquitaine, Bordeaux
Joined Dec 2012
128 Posts
hi,

person has a good plan, I wanted to order from Hobbyking,

but backorder

I find has all the prices, but for less at the Hobbyking

I hope they will soon it receive!
h.300 is offline Find More Posts by h.300
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:53 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Tilt/Roll HK mount finished.

Here's my version of cam mount installation.
I used the same mounting plate as supplied with the cam mount kit. If you check the existing plate, and remove the side pieces with the large holes intended for the Bumblebee, you will see two long slots intended for the side plate tabs.
As it turns out, these are perfectly aligned over the quad's 4 threaded mounting screw recesses on the base of the centre section of the quad.

Simply glued the additional approx 20mm sq extra 4 pieces of plate which came with the kit, and overhang them slightly, but drill holes in first to pass the screw through. Glue with ca, then drill through your pre cut hole, to open the slot beneath.

I used foam and rubber washers, not overtightened, with carbon tube sleeves, and now is fixed to my frame.

With the camera in the carrying box on the cam mount, there actually is only about 1.5 mm clearance top and bottom, so I used rubber bands cut in half (the wide bands) and glued the cuts with an overlap using ca, bicycle repair kit glue would be better, but don't have any..
Anyway, just there for testing. The camera fits in there just right, not too tight and the rubber stops the camera from sliding around in there, finally secured with one loop of velcro wrap.
Pictures hopefully will explain.
Last thing to do now is set up the roll and tilt servos with the board. I used one small digital servo, and one analogue servo (all I had handy) Will report back later!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Oct 2010
167 Posts
Good job Sundayflyer32 and Matt Halton.
Now we're waiting for your new videos
fiugitive is offline Find More Posts by fiugitive
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:54 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiugitive View Post
Good job Sundayflyer32 and Matt Halton.
Now we're waiting for your new videos

Thanks
Unfortunately, the next 5 or so days weather forecast is windspeeds above 20 mph

But at least it's ready now, am really looking forward to seeing how this checks out.

Matt
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:09 PM
Montreal
Joined Feb 2004
410 Posts
Wooohooo

I received my IFLY4 on tuesday.
Work kept me busy so I wasn`t able to play with it until tonight.
I soldered new connectors on two LiPos (2650 45C Zippies) and did a brief test after calibrating everything indoor to make sure the props were spinning OK.
Everything checks out.
I set up my transmitter with 2 modes only: Stabilize and Stabilize with Alt Hold.
I have very little experience with quads so I did not enable the manual position on my 3 way swicth. (It's Ok to call me chicken...)
I did a brief hover about 2 inches of the ground, tested the controls, yaw, pitch, roll seem to behave OK. The buzzer started beeping non-stop, I suspect it it because I tested it with an uncharged LiPo.
I am charging both batteries now, tomorrow, outdoor test weather permitting!
After that, I need to build a gimbal with pitch and roll for my Sony Action Cam.
I am very pleased with this bird so far.
Also very pleased with the Sony's picture quality. Yes, I know, it's not a GoPro3 but the image quality is excellent and it is much lighter than the GoPro3 so it will do the job for now.
I have done RC cars, planes, sailboats, they are all fun but I can't remember when I was this excited to try something new, this is something else.
Once I get the hang of it, I will install the FPV gear. Until then, just HD footage from the bird. Coming up soon!
EDFFanatic is offline Find More Posts by EDFFanatic
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:39 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFFanatic View Post
I received my IFLY4 on tuesday.
Work kept me busy so I wasn`t able to play with it until tonight.
I soldered new connectors on two LiPos (2650 45C Zippies) and did a brief test after calibrating everything indoor to make sure the props were spinning OK.
Everything checks out.
I set up my transmitter with 2 modes only: Stabilize and Stabilize with Alt Hold.
I have very little experience with quads so I did not enable the manual position on my 3 way swicth. (It's Ok to call me chicken...)
I did a brief hover about 2 inches of the ground, tested the controls, yaw, pitch, roll seem to behave OK. The buzzer started beeping non-stop, I suspect it it because I tested it with an uncharged LiPo.
I am charging both batteries now, tomorrow, outdoor test weather permitting!
After that, I need to build a gimbal with pitch and roll for my Sony Action Cam.
I am very pleased with this bird so far.
Also very pleased with the Sony's picture quality. Yes, I know, it's not a GoPro3 but the image quality is excellent and it is much lighter than the GoPro3 so it will do the job for now.
I have done RC cars, planes, sailboats, they are all fun but I can't remember when I was this excited to try something new, this is something else.
Once I get the hang of it, I will install the FPV gear. Until then, just HD footage from the bird. Coming up soon!
I concur with your comments, I'm finding it as exciting as you, having flown planes for years, it's a new slant on an old game, and I love it!

Enjoy your new quad

Matt
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:13 PM
Montreal
Joined Feb 2004
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
I concur with your comments, I'm finding it as exciting as you, having flown planes for years, it's a new slant on an old game, and I love it!

Enjoy your new quad

Matt
Thanks Matt, your setup looks great, can't wait to see how the gimbal performs.
The next few days have wind in the forecast then wind with rain (sound familiar??) so I am not sure I will get to play with it much. We have a huge hangar at work with very high ceilings but I am somewhat reluctant to mess around on a concrete floor. Grass or snow would be more forgiving for my first few flights. For sure I will turtle it a few times so it might as well be on something reasonably soft. I am thinking of coating the circuit board and any exposed contacts with a waterproofing film of sorts in case I crash in snow. The motors can handle a few snow flakes but everything else will have to be protected somewhat. I am also considering moving the battery below the tray for added stability (pendulum effect). There are a few quads on the market with the battery sitting above and it always puzzled me, since it is the heaviest item in the payload. I imagine it is for camera clearance but the Sony is so small I could get away with a bottom battery. I will experiment at a later time to see if it helps in overall stability.
Fair weather and happy flights
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:15 PM
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Nov 2012
423 Posts
Interesting Phenomena today

After the last crash due to a prop coming off (check your nuts!!), I fixed a broken motor pod with some JB weld and an aluminum strip. It is sort of like a splint as I am waiting on some new arms from HK. I will post pics later in case anyone needs to make a repair.

However, the interesting thing that happened was because I changed the props to Slow Flyer 10 X 4.5 flexi plastic props. On the first flight with these props I had a fast although small oscillation happening! I flew it around gently to see if it would stop but it didn't. I thought that maybe the FC was pooched after the crash, but then I thought the only thing I changed was the props. So I put the Gem-fan CF props back on (my last good set) and tried it again with no problems encountered.

Anyone else tried flexible slow flyer type props on the Ifly 4?
Sundayflyer32 is offline Find More Posts by Sundayflyer32
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:44 PM
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Nov 2012
423 Posts
Ifly 4 Broken Motor Pod Repair

I broke a motor pod off one boom after a crash and parts are on the way from HK. In the mean time I tried a repair that is working for now. I know there are purists that will say this will unbalance the quad, but if it keeps me flying, I will just have to live with it.

Unscrew and remove the motor and check for a bent shaft. If OK then you can try re-using it but if in doubt replace it. Use some masking tape to identify which motor lead came from which ESC bullet connector so the motor runs in the correct direction when re-installing.

I used 1 thin aluminum strip that wraps around the motor pod and is held in place by SHORT sheet metal type screws. You don't want them hitting the motor can or shorting out the motor power wires. There are 3 in the pod and 4 (2 in either side) in the arm. Make sure you use a suitable small drill for pilot holes for the self tapping screws.

As the pod was broken off the arm right at the junction of the pod and arm, I used JB Weld to epoxy the pod in place before screwing the aluminum strip on.

Use lots of masking tape to hold the pod in place until the JB sets up and then wait 24 hours for a good bond. The strength of the joint is in the metal strip not the JB Weld. That is just to hold everything in alignment so you can screw it together snugly. I don't think there is any suitable glue to bond this kind of fibre reinforced plastic so a mechanical connection is probably the best way to go. I had 3 flights so far and all is good. I tried CA and it did not bond very well so resorted to a heavier bodied epoxy like JB Weld.

I don't notice any imbalance, but if concerned then you can always add the same amount of weight to the other booms to even it out.

Its not a perfect repair but it will get you flying again until parts arrive.
Sundayflyer32 is offline Find More Posts by Sundayflyer32
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:47 PM
Montreal
Joined Feb 2004
410 Posts
Quote:
After the last crash due to a prop coming off (check your nuts!!), I fixed a broken motor pod with some JB weld and an aluminum strip. It is sort of like a splint as I am waiting on some new arms from HK. I will post pics later in case anyone needs to make a repair.

However, the interesting thing that happened was because I changed the props to Slow Flyer 10 X 4.5 flexi plastic props. On the first flight with these props I had a fast although small oscillation happening! I flew it around gently to see if it would stop but it didn't. I thought that maybe the FC was pooched after the crash, but then I thought the only thing I changed was the props. So I put the Gem-fan CF props back on (my last good set) and tried it again with no problems encountered.

Anyone else tried flexible slow flyer type props on the Ifly 4?
Hi SundayFlyer32.
I religiously check my nuts every morning
Before I did my test flight, I noticed one of the nuts wasn't that tight so it is a good idea to check prior to every flight to be on the safe side.
Quads don't like soft props. The bigger they are, the stiffer the props have to be. They are maneuvered around using Gyroscopic Precession, which are small changes in the vertical plane if you picture your props as a disk. The softer the prop, the less ''responsive'' or ''precise'' the control input or reaction. Up to a point where the prop will actually cause oscillation if it is too soft. This is why the big boys use carbon props. The trouble with them is that they are not forgiving in crashes, they are so stiff the frame of the quad ends up taking the brunt of the shock, with usually devastating results. You want props that don't bend on the vertical plane yest bend easily in crashes to prevent the arms from ripping off. The trick is to find the happy medium. Slow flyer props flex way too much. Not a big deal with an airplane but not good for quads. Airplanes are less prone to that issue because they have forward momentum. Quads on the other hand are all about minute vertical changes so flexing blades makes the flying difficult.