HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:51 PM
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Nov 2012
419 Posts
Wow.. That altitude hold is dialed in real nice. I have tried mine outside and today I noticed that you have to be in a real smooth hover before switching to altitude hold. Then it seems to be good for a few seconds, but when a bit of wind causes extra lift (like what happens to a heli in wind) then it starts to hunt up and down. I would like to know the PID and Control settings that pilot has to see if tweaking can improve my altitude hold.

Also, I have found that when in balanced mode the quad will fight you as you move around the field causing a tendency to drift rearward no matter how much back trim you input. It was fighting me so much I was holding about 3/4 forward stick to just get it to stay in one place. I think the FC has to be tweaked as the balancing is actually too strong.

I also tried Normal Mode and this thing became very agile and fast. It was grooving like a heli in Fast Forward Flight and I might get up the nerve to try a loop or roll sometime soon.
Sundayflyer32 is offline Find More Posts by Sundayflyer32
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:31 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
394 Posts
That guy is brave! But he seems to have that very well tuned!
Joshy131 is offline Find More Posts by Joshy131
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:54 AM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Ifly4 issues

Thanks Sunday Flyer and Startazz for your 411.. Yes, unfortunatly, I have reviewed all of that and was flying in auto level mode when my crazy flip occuired..I am using one of those $6.99 HK receivers so this morning, I am going to install a spektrum 6 ch and see if that was the problem.. The only thing I did between the good last flight and the first uncontrolled one was install the ifly4 camera mount and plugged in the one servo (Tilt Control) to the P1 port and connect S-2 output to the AUX port in the receiver.. But I disconnecting all of that on my last flight and it still went crazy.. Leave it up to me to foul this thing up..Thank goodness I was flying on soft grass so at least nothing broken at this point..
Vern1960 is offline Find More Posts by Vern1960
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:23 AM
Österreich, Wien, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
14 Posts
hey i joined the club and got the ifly 4.
like most of you i had the beep problem in the 2 flights i got inside.
I calibrated my DX6i for balance and manual mode.

it would be nice from idea fly to release some settings for the flight controller
we have a "import button" in the ifly software... lets use it!

import newb_settings.cfg

btw. can someone explain the Altitude and Balance settings under the control tab in the ifly software to me - thx!

hope to get outside soon
compa is offline Find More Posts by compa
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Nov 2012
158 Posts
i ran 2 batteries through my ifly today, and my first time outdoor in a wide open space.
for some reason it banked left a few times for no reason, not sure if it's my cheap radio gear or the FC but thankfully it didn't cause me to crash just a few hairy moments, just uploading a video now i'll post it once it uploads to youtube
IflyaIfly4 is offline Find More Posts by IflyaIfly4
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Ifly4

Just spent 3 hours starting from scratch installing a new spektrum 6 channel receiver and for the 3rd time, reloading all of the Firmware settings and double and triple checking all of the settings per the manual, and the quadcopter still will not fly.. Even in Manual Mode when you increase the throttle to just start to get it light on its landing gear, it starts increasing the throttle on its own and flips over on its top.. I know it is in the right mode because the LEDs are blinking correctly, once for manual, twice for balance, and 3x for balance and hold.: I hope the IDEA IFLY staff will contact me next week with some suggestions other than reload the firmware. I have a $300 paper weight right now..
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:25 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,733 Posts
I can understand your frustration Vern as i'd be a little pissed to say the least as well mate,i've just finished reading the last posts since i posted the video of that Ifly-4 in altitude hold,and as you said you thought it might have something to do with the HK orange RX but as you have found out it isn't that and i was going to say thats what i'm using and i've had none of them problems.

Well i'm scratching my head now as i don't know what could be doing this mate,from what i've read you have been in the Ifly-4 tools right,what settings are you showing in your Gyroscope pitch,roll and yaw and your advanced settings for the Gyro?

My gyroscope are showing bang in the middle on the pitch,roll and yaw plus they are showing 0 in the advanced Pid settings.

Then in the Control box they are in the middle again and all the other settings in the Control box are at 0.

If you are showing the same then i'm well and truly stumped but i would try calibrating your control sticks again,if not i'm sure Joe from IdeaFly will be on here soon and will help you out.

Vern check your PM mate as i'm now going to send you a message.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:15 PM
I try to Fly
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Reggio nell'Emilia
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
Does anyone know what this connector?

p.s. subscribed
compa71 is offline Find More Posts by compa71
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:05 PM
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Nov 2012
419 Posts
Vern1960: My very first attempt to hover caused me some concern as it just wanted to pitch sideways to my left. As it did so, I fed in more "right" stick to compensate, which only made things worse.

After a couple failed attempts, I realized that I actually had the quad turned around on the ground with the nose pointing toward me!! So my "aileron" controls were backwards to what my eyes were seeing..As I tried correcting I was adding the wrong inputs and it just made things worse.

I had forgotten to make sure the tail is towards the pilot. As these things aren't as obvious where the nose and tail are compared to a heli or plane, it is very easy to become disoriented

I apologize if this seems trivial but my first IFLY4 flight was only 3 days ago and I am learning from my mistakes so please check that the nose (small arrow on the FC points toward the front) is pointing away from you. I have since used a lot of flourescent trim tape (red for the front and green for the tail) to keep my old eyes from losing orientation.
Sundayflyer32 is offline Find More Posts by Sundayflyer32
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:59 AM
Joined Nov 2012
158 Posts
here's video from my mounted gopro from my first outdoor flight with the ifly4, a bit boring but you can see it twitch/bank left every now and then on its own
learning to fly a quadcopter ifly4 (21 min 37 sec)
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:13 AM
Pilot in Training
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IflyaIfly4 View Post
here's video from my mounted gopro from my first outdoor flight with the ifly4, a bit boring but you can see it twitch/bank left every now and then on its own
I just got word that my I-Fly 4-S will be arriving this Thursday - YAY!!
Not bad at all man! Cool, gives me an idea of what to expect when I get mine.. Hopefully I'll be able to share some nice review vids like this.. Despite some twitches, flying seemed pretty smooth & steady though..
MJS88 is offline Find More Posts by MJS88
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Nov 2012
158 Posts
cheers mate, it's quite smooth apart from it suddenly banking to the left at random, i'll upgrade the radio to a DX6i and hopefully that'll solve that issue
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Thanks Sunday Flyer.. Yes sometimes you just forget one basic thing and wham a crash.. I thought of that even before my first flight and installed RED foam cushion on my front landing skids.. So I will continue racking my brain on this little stinker..Just cannot figure out what is going on..Still no reply from Ifly folks..will press on and hope to get his figured out.. but it is killing me seeing all the great footage that I wish I was capturing. LOL.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Startazz: Thanks for the encouragement. Just went into IFLYtools and here are my settings after loading firmware again and reloading default settings.. In control strength it is 2 clicks above dead center, Pitch Roll is right in the middle, Altitude control is 100 speed 70 x12, mingas 350 maxgas 700, balance p 800 I 500 D 0, Gyro simple adjust pitch and roll are in the middle, yaw is one click left of center, advace PID settings are P-pitch200/roll200yaw334 I-pitch400/roll/400yaw/500,Dpitch400/Roll400/yaw/400, my latest firmware is ID 2266384213 Flight control sw:330278,HW10.. Thats all I've got.. Please let me know it something you have is way different.. Or if Joe from IFLY would like to chime in at anytime, with assistance, that would be much appreciated..Thanks for your time..

Looked at Chernabog's settings in his post and it is pretty close to matching on control speed min and max gas and balance..not enough off to cause the wild flights I am getting..
Last edited by Vern1960; Dec 03, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, VT, Burlington
Joined Nov 2012
75 Posts
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by IflyaIfly4 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InVpL...&feature=g-upl

I had a similar spontaneous hook happen to me, except to the right, when in Balance mode and the wind hit it on my first outdoor flight today. Seems like the leveling went nuts when the gust of wind caught it.

Copter ended up taking a pretty hard double-tomahawk when it snagged on the high grass where I was.

Thankfully everything just bounced, and I picked it up and everything was OK.

After that I slammed it to Manual mode and had zero issues on 3 more flights later in the day. After messing around with some curves in the Tx, I'm much more comfortable flying it in Manual than I am in Balance.......

Gotta order some more batteries and connectors - converting the rest of the Turnigy bullet connectors on the batteries over to XT60 that came on the copter and the charger
Bangor is offline Find More Posts by Bangor