HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:50 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawli1836 View Post
* Although I trimmed the settings on my RC, the quad is still flying backwards when I release the stick right stick (mode 2). The trim on the RC is set to its highest position, but it still flies backwards. Has anyone experienced the same problems? How could I solve this? I fly with the standard RC that came with the IFLY-4. Should I upgrade to a better one to remedy this issue? any suggestions?

Geert
Hello,

Reset your trims to zero then do an IMU calibration with the quad level (section 5.3 of the pdf manual).
If it is still flying backwards with no stick input, tilt the quad slight forward and re-do the IMU calibration, test fly again.
You should see it gradually improving until you get it to an 'almost' hands free point.
That's the best you will get. Do not expect it to perfectly hold position. That requires GPS and very good software!
dtm360 is online now Find More Posts by dtm360
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Nov 2012
158 Posts
got my ifly today, not bad ordered 7 days ago from hobbyking HK to UK
i'm a bit stumped at the moment though, i bought the cheap 6CH hobbyking radio and that has come with no instructions.
after a bit of a search i think i've found a manual, would i be right in thinking i need to hook my radio up to a pc first to configure? then i'm unsure as to what wires go to and from receiver to ifly
any help would be appreciated thanks
IflyaIfly4 is offline Find More Posts by IflyaIfly4
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:06 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IflyaIfly4 View Post
got my ifly today, not bad ordered 7 days ago from hobbyking HK to UK
i'm a bit stumped at the moment though, i bought the cheap 6CH hobbyking radio and that has come with no instructions.
after a bit of a search i think i've found a manual, would i be right in thinking i need to hook my radio up to a pc first to configure? then i'm unsure as to what wires go to and from receiver to ifly
any help would be appreciated thanks
No need to connect your radio directly to a PC, just look on the FC board, on the side there is a small USB (mini) socket. Run IFLY Tools on your PC or Laptop, connect a mini USB to your PC, and plug into the FC. Before this, connect your receiver to the wires at the front of the machine. E to Elevator, T to Throttle A to Aileron R to Rudder, the remaining wiring is for your camera gimbal (if you use one) Switch on your radio transmitter, then run IFLY tools. REMOVE THE PROPS FROM THE QUAD FIRST.Make sure you put your props back in the correct order when replacing. If you aren't sure, use temporary labels from masking tape or whatever, and mark each prop and motor A B C D, or 1 2 3 4.
You will see it say on your PC screen that the USB connection was successful.
When calibrating, make sure the elevator stick when pushed forward, corresponds with the blue slider on the programme.(Pushing the elevator forward dips the nose of the quad to fly forward, pulling back will make it fly backwards)
Do this for all controls, then move all sticks forward, backwards, side to side.
Click calibrate on the screen when done, voila, done!

Do this and you should be ok. Next, and most imortantly, if you have never flown a quad or heli, GET A SIM and practice, or buy the excellent V911 heli from eBay, kit's what I did, helped a lot.(and was fun to fly too, still is) Just make sure it's the same mode as your quad controller. Throttle right, elevator left is Mode 1. Throttle left and elevator right, is mode 2. Although this quad is very simple to control, it's only with experience of flying these types of machines beforehand, you need to understand the controls fully before going ahead with flying, 4 out of control spinning props are potentially lethal.
I wouldn't, under any circumstances attempt to fly it if you are unfamiliar with controlling these types of aircraft.
If you do buy a small indoor heli, they are very forgiving to learning mistakes and don't break very easily.
Make sure you tighten the props down adequately, if one comes off in flight, you will definitely crash.

Ensure all batteries are fully charge before use, any other questions, please ask, if you are still unsure about what to do, PM me and I'll send you my tel number (Am in UK too)

Cheers!

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Last edited by Matt Halton; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Nov 2012
158 Posts
Cheers Matt, i've flown CP helicopters in the past and have recently flown my mates hubsan x4 in expert mode, these multicopters seem so much easier and stable compared to CP helis.
the receiver i got with my radio is labelled ch1 ch2 ch3 etc so i'm not sure which is which. i.e. is channel 1 elevator?

thanks again Matt for your informative post
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IflyaIfly4 View Post
Cheers Matt, i've flown CP helicopters in the past and have recently flown my mates hubsan x4 in expert mode, these multicopters seem so much easier and stable compared to CP helis.
the receiver i got with my radio is labelled ch1 ch2 ch3 etc so i'm not sure which is which. i.e. is channel 1 elevator?

thanks again Matt for your informative post
Ok, cool. Was just worried that if you hadn't done this before etc etc, but you should fly this easily then!

Ok, On Futaba sets, it goes like this: Ch 1 is Ail, Ch 2 is Elev Ch 3 is Thro Ch 4 is Rudd.
Different on 2.4 Spektrum systems (which is likely the same layout as you)
Ch 1 is Throttle, 2 is Ail, 3 is Elev, 4 is Rudder. I'd plug in as the Specktrum layout, connect to your tools on the PC, and see if moving the sticks correspond.

Well done on getting yours in 1 week, mine took around a month..Did you get hit with any customs duty?

If you're still stuck, please ask away.

Matt
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:47 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,535 Posts
Matt H, i've been reading most of this thread and i've seen you refering to Unmanned as a source for spare parts for the Ifly-4 here in the UK,for some reason i can't seem to find them so is there any chance you could give us the full name or even a link please mate,i'm in the UK and i'd like to check them out.

Thanks in advanced for any help on this and my Ifly-4 should be touching down from HK tomorrow morning.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:55 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
Matt H, i've been reading most of this thread and i've seen you refering to Unmanned as a source for spare parts for the Ifly-4 here in the UK,for some reason i can't seem to find them so is there any chance you could give us the full name or even a link please mate,i'm in the UK and i'd like to check them out.

Thanks in advanced for any help on this and my Ifly-4 should be touching down from HK tomorrow morning.
Congrats! You'll love it.

Of course, here's the link, parts are not advertised, so I am not sure what exactly he has, so best thing is to email them.

http://unmannedtechshop.co.uk/featur...opter-rtf.html
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm360 View Post
That's because 'I' was the original author of that pdf.....
Thankyou!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Nov 2012
158 Posts
Matt, i didn't get any charges luckily i marked the value to 30% but thought i'd still get charged a bit, nice to not get charges for a change
you say ch 1-4 are what they are but i have 7 cables coming from the ifly and 7 ports on the receiver so will be stuck with 3 left over wires not knowing where to put them. 1 i pressume will go to the battery but not sure what the other 2 are for....i'll be hooking it all up soon so will post my progress, thanks for the help
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:13 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,830 Posts
Hold tight and I'll post a picture of mine later.I have to go out this am, will be back by 11-11.30.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Nov 2012
158 Posts
Cheers Matt, i appreciate it mate
the receiver was set up like a futaba i.e. throttle was channel 3
i've hooked up channels 1-4 but i cant get the 5th one which i believe is for altitude hold connected to the switch on the controller, if i put it in channel 5 or 6 it goes to one of those turning knobs on the controller
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Nov 2012
158 Posts
just been trying to set it up some more and figured i must need a 3 position switch on my radio, which it hasnt got, so for now its in 2 modes that can be toggled by turning the knob(manual and balanced).
i then tried setting it up according to the manual, used ifly tools, now i get to where it says throttle at the lowest and rudder pushed left should slowly start the motors up, it does this now it says i need to go in armed mode, but this is where i get stuck. how do i arm it? says in the manual to have throttle at its lowest and to push rudder left which described what i've already done...help please
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:50 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,830 Posts
Sorry, been out all morning, just got home.
Left rudder starts, right rudder stops. Try and see what your throws are, try increasing rudder throw on your TX, maybe it isn't enough to activate it. Not sure how you do that on your radio, is it a Turnigy 9x? You should get it to arm if you get more rudder movement. Increase throws to the max on right and left rudder then try again.
Only thing I can suggest, let me know how you get on.

Matt
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:07 AM
Good Times
Portland . Dorset . England
Joined Jun 2009
290 Posts
Mine arrived today , not customs charges , but as said above , was marked up as 30% cost

I set mine up , Into an 8 channel RX with the Multiplex cockpit sx , everything worked well , so i tried a bit of floor hovering to make sure the control worked , it did .

Right up till it twatted the leg of a chair and broke a prop . Doh!
Oh well now i cant play till i get new props , Are the 10,45 props that giantshark sell ok to use , cos these props on the Ifly have flats that locate with the shaft of the motor .

Any advise or help will be appreciated .
cant believe it broke the prop on its first flight .

Bob
Bobbyr is offline Find More Posts by Bobbyr
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:12 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyr View Post
Mine arrived today , not customs charges , but as said above , was marked up as 30% cost

I set mine up , Into an 8 channel RX with the Multiplex cockpit sx , everything worked well , so i tried a bit of floor hovering to make sure the control worked , it did .

Right up till it twatted the leg of a chair and broke a prop . Doh!
Oh well now i cant play till i get new props , Are the 10,45 props that giantshark sell ok to use , cos these props on the Ifly have flats that locate with the shaft of the motor .

Any advise or help will be appreciated .
cant believe it broke the prop on its first flight .

Bob
Bob, the GS props will work fine Sorry to hear of your incident. If the shaft hole is too small, you may need to ream out the hub a bit, but they are good replacements for this quad.

Matt