HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:08 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
Thats a good bit of filming Tony, you say hardmounted, did you have anything in the mounting to cut out vibrations (rubber gromets or whatever)? as that vid doesn't seem to have any of the jello type effect I have seen on others.

Got my new reciever all hooked up and working, transmitter calibrated and no explosions this time Props are balanced after a bit of sandpapering (used a very basic method, only one of the stock ones seemed a bit out, but three of my spare ones were very out). Motors might need a bit of balancing but will get to that later.

Maiden flight set for tomorrow afternoon up here in scotland, should be light winds, no gusts, sunny but baltic ... hopefully I won't crash it, just going to be using balance and might try balance alt hold (have made sure manual mode is not available to me!). Will be flying without payload to get used to it (using 2200 and 2650 mah S3's).

I am actualy testing this quad as part of my uni dissertation, which will be about using light UAV's for conservation management (basically mapping vegitation), so as the tests progress and I get time to properly write up the results, I will post on here. Going to be taking env measurements every flight (wind and temp), doing endurance tests, photo mosaics, 3d mapping, loads of stuff really, if it all works as planned anyway!

C.
I hope it goes well for you, I look forward to hearing how things go. Doesn't sound to warm up there! Glad you have your receivers working well.

Matt
Matt Halton is online now Find More Posts by Matt Halton
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Oct 2012
154 Posts
Here's some picts for mounting camera. Seems to remove jello from video pretty good and easy. For longer flight times the 808 #16 key chain camera works pretty good also. But since I got the GoPro with the Wi-fi I love it just better video, for the money can't beat a 808 though. Also just balanced blades with a tooth pick at end of table spin blade and the one that point toward floor just shave a little plastic from top side of blade with sharp knife, when balanced both prop ends line up with the table. Also if thinking GoPro look and the GoPro 3 with wifi built in faster frame rates, and lighter.
TonyTronicWSP is offline Find More Posts by TonyTronicWSP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iris fpv
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:42 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x View Post
I will look I had all 4 of them
Drop me a PM if you find them. Thks!
dtm360 is offline Find More Posts by dtm360
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
Thanks for those pics tony, I get what you mean about mounting it with the rc fuel line now

First flight wasn't exactly succesfull, in fact it ended with the shredding of the top cover, when it popped off and met a prop. This I think was fated to happen as I was thinking of not using it anyway to save on weight, so it just made that idea a permanent solution

There wasn't all that much wind where I was flying (not enough to register with the wind meter I had, might need to get a more sensitive one) but there was certainly some wind, it was about 7 C, so a bit chilly, 65% humidty.

Crashed it every time I flew it, so one thing is for sure, its durable (apart from the top cover anyway). Seemed to me to be difficult to control, I could keep it in the air but I could not get a good hover from it, continuosely having to try and correct the flight. Only the first crash was a proper crash (caused by the top cover), the rest were on trying to land as the grass where I was testing was a bit tussocky so the skids got caught up, probably had too much lateral movement as well. So decided to cut my losses for the day, before I did any real damage.

Learnt a bit from today, such as making sure the battery lead can't come into contact with the props (that might be what caused the top cover to pop off), and that forward and backwards appears to be reversed on my transmitter (for the way my mind works anyway), and not so keen on the rotation being on the same stick as forwards/backwards (might change that so rotate is on the throttle stick, with fwd/bkwd lft/rght on the other), and my transmitter is mode1, might convert it to mode2 as I am a righty ... so quite a few things to digest

Matt, thanks for that suggestion about the mini helicopter, but I think I am going to get that phoenix simulator program so I can learn to fly properly without breaking anything, does anyone know if that program would work with a Turnigy 9x transmitter? (researching that atm). I am guessing that the GAUI 330x simulator model would be fairly similar to the ifly...

Hope everyone else is doing good with their ifly4's, will update when I have learnt how to fly

Regards,

C.
Chernabog is offline Find More Posts by Chernabog
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Oct 2012
154 Posts
You need to start in auto level mode, then alt hold, then manual mode. Might also adjust pitch and roll slider to fly more or less responsive. Then write or upload new settings before disconnecf from software. Should fly very stable in autolevel mode. Get a little altitude thenswitch to alt hold, and practice leaning with right stick pitch and roll. I use mode 2 tx. I dont fly much in manual mode. Keep at it they fly nice. Will put a smile on your face.
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
Ahhhaa !!!

Think I just found out why it was being a bit erratic ... my transmitter was set to helicopter mode!

Had set this to acro mode before I blew up my first transmitter so I am guessing it re-set itself when I setup the new transmitter, and I didn't notice it (foolish me).

Well, if the weather is any good then I will try again tomorrow

C.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTronicWSP View Post
You need to start in auto level mode, then alt hold, then manual mode. Might also adjust pitch and roll slider to fly more or less responsive. Then write or upload new settings before disconnecf from software. Should fly very stable in autolevel mode. Get a little altitude thenswitch to alt hold, and practice leaning with right stick pitch and roll. I use mode 2 tx. I dont fly much in manual mode. Keep at it they fly nice. Will put a smile on your face.
Tony
Cool, thansk tony, have it currently set to be in balance mode as default, with a switch to set balance with alt hold (have only got a 2 pos switch, so not having manual mode in there at all).

I think the prob I had was with the transmitter being in heli mode, silly me, still this is all a learning curve

C.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:08 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,892 Posts
You'll get there Chernabog, but get some simulator time!

Took mine outside today in my yard. Doesn't like 20c batteries, the alarm sounds continually. It doesn't do this on 25c or higher.

Here's my video from today:

IFLY-4 Quadcopter First outdoor flight test. (2 min 36 sec)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
24 Posts
Dear all,
I bought IFLY-4 ten days ago. Quadro nice flying, but it sometimes happens that
I added power and roll.
I can not solve this problem.
ifly 4 crash (1 min 29 sec)

Goran, Montenegro
goran scekic is offline Find More Posts by goran scekic
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:42 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,892 Posts
Maybe reinstall firmware? Might fix the problem.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2012
24 Posts
I tried to install "IFLY4 fIRMwAREfw30275"
and "IFLY4 FirmWare3253" Quadro but I often add gas once or twice during the life of the battery
hope that's the correct controller fly
I can relax in flying, as can be expected at any time IFL4 crazy.
goran scekic is offline Find More Posts by goran scekic
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Oct 2012
154 Posts
Did you perform a auto level? Both transmitter sticks down on throttle side right lights bink then throttle stick other way to make rotors spin. Make sure you take off on level ground when i fly 4 starts it will set level within 30 seconds then fly inautolevel mode, connect computer and adjust pitch and roll red blue sliders. The further right will make transmitter more responsive, to the left more slow I believe.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:13 AM
Joined Apr 2008
8 Posts
does any one know if the esc are programmed with a number motor 1 or 2 ect so they can only go in one position doing motor test with ifytools testing motor 1 .. 1and 3 motors start up at the same time
many thanks
ozchris is offline Find More Posts by ozchris
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:20 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,892 Posts
My motor tests worked individually, one at a time with the toolkit. I don't think 3 are meant to run at all during this process..No one from IFLY comes on here anymore, so again all I can suggest is a re install of FW,
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
You'll get there Chernabog, but get some simulator time!

Took mine outside today in my yard. Doesn't like 20c batteries, the alarm sounds continually. It doesn't do this on 25c or higher.

Here's my video from today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqtd3...ature=youtu.be
Looks like you've got the hang of it

Got my simulator today (Aerosim RC) been playing with it this morning and seems good, has a fair few multirotor models which is nice (as the 330x model is very hard to fly compared to some of the others) and an good trainer program, so should be able to get me up and running a bit quicker (especially as its still raining here!).

Also switched me turningy 9x from mode 1 to mode 2, which makes things much easier! Maybe have another go outside this weekend, if the weather is any good anyway...

Regards,

C.