HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:27 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
umannedtech are selling ifly4 frame for 49.50
just came across it searching for some new motor mounts for my diy jobbie frame..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:02 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
...I think a strip down is called for to check all wiring, maybe it's shorting, or arcing somewhere hence the loss of control...
If you do that Matt, it's worth putting blobs of hot glue or equivalent on the various exposed live + / - contacts underneath the power distribution board. These are rather too exposed to long wet grass etc

I could also hear that low voltage alarm beeping - it's hard to hear over the sound of the motors when it's flying, but a videocam with sound will pick it up. It's worth keeping an eye on the strobe lights, as they switch to fast flickering then full on as a warning, as well...

No idea what that ghostly whispy spirit entity was - perhaps it was the remnants of your guardian angel, who flew a bit too close...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daza
...umannedtech are selling ifly4 frame for 49.50...
I think this is the 'naked' version that some of the Chinese entrepreneurs buy and then sell on eBay bundled with motors, props, ESCs and an FC in order to undercut the fully equipped package...

Buying such a frame from unmannedtech does at least allow you to use conventional ESCs and your preferred motors and FC (even a Naza, if GPS right now is vital...)

Cheers,
Nick
staib is offline Find More Posts by staib
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Croydon
Joined Jan 2013
119 Posts
Sorry guys- yet another question [or 2]

Trying to get my head round gimbals and servos etc. My first aim being simple AP- and maybe later on to FPV.
Am I right in thinking that a 2 axis gimbal would be controlled by the FC, by plugging into the P1 and P2 ports?

Given that I am using a DX6i, and therefore have only 1 channel left, I should ignore the S1 and S2 ports?

IF I had 2 spare channels, and IF I hooked up S1 and S2, what would be the effect?
Would the transmitter over ride the FC?

I am looking at a Hero 2 together with the HK Hero compatible gimbal, which I gather would need a cut and shut to get the Hero to fit with it's case.
Any comment on this idea?
Tony
discv is offline Find More Posts by discv
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:11 PM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
343 Posts
Hi Tony - you are on the right tracks...

I had no interest in manually adjusting the roll angle, so have left it to auto-stabilise, but I DID want to be able to adjust (or over-ride) the pitch stabilisation, so plugged the pitch servo into the appropriate S socket on the FC and it just worked.

You have to take care not to over-extend the servo and potentially lock it up, as at full manual adjustment it can't then stabilise any more as all the movement has already been used up...

Not familiar with HK Hero gimbal. Are unmannedtech out of that 49 quid iFly-4S 2 axis gimbal? It just bolted straight onto the iFly-4 as well...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by staib View Post
Hi Tony - you are on the right tracks...

I had no interest in manually adjusting the roll angle, so have left it to auto-stabilise, but I DID want to be able to adjust (or over-ride) the pitch stabilisation, so plugged the pitch servo into the appropriate S socket on the FC and it just worked.

You have to take care not to over-extend the servo and potentially lock it up, as at full manual adjustment it can't then stabilise any more as all the movement has already been used up...

Not familiar with HK Hero gimbal. Are unmannedtech out of that 49 quid iFly-4S 2 axis gimbal? It just bolted straight onto the iFly-4 as well...
Thanks for this. So with my one spare channel left, I would be able to do the same i.e. over-ride the pitch [look down]?

Cast your eye on this for me- if you would. I'm wondering if it might put the weight of the camera too far forward.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...nk:top:en#shId

Tony
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:30 PM
Russian Federation, Nizhegorodskaya oblast, Nizhny Novgorod
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
I think maybe balanced mode has issues....
It's said STRONG! I'm nearly becoming to conclusion that all of this handkraft is ISSUE... Seriously, I'v got burned ESC AGAIN (at -4deg C outside) !!! My set of new ESC's is still at customs. By the way, while comparing datasheets of MOSFETs used in our ESC's I found that 4407 is not good pair to irf7832. As it seems to me all the burned ESC's got 4407 broken. I think irf9310 will be a good replacement of 4407. I've ordered f9310 instead of 4407 for my repair.

What we got: FC with "issues", "tricky" ESC's, "ratcheting" motors, what remains ?
alxXL is offline Find More Posts by alxXL
Last edited by alxXL; Feb 17, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:15 PM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
343 Posts
Sorry to hear about your burned ESC issues...

I'm afraid I am not technical and wouldn't know a mosfet from a mosquito, but so far I've had no issues, other than that burned out FC and 2 ESCs - and an escaping prop nut, though to be fair all were entirely MY fault. So removing pilot error, I've had no real problems at all, so far

I've tried hovering indoors for around 7 minutes, then landing and feeling the ESCs but they only get warm to very slightly hot. I'm guessing they get more stressed with high acceleration more spirited flying...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:14 AM
Russian Federation, Nizhegorodskaya oblast, Nizhny Novgorod
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
Lucky!! As for me - 2 burned ESC's in flying 10-15m high in square 50m, wind about 3 mps. 2 times already something stops me from installing cam during faulty flies.
alxXL is offline Find More Posts by alxXL
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:30 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by discv View Post
Cast your eye on this for me - if you would. I'm wondering if it might put the weight of the camera too far forward...
It is a bit further forward, but I would think that balancing the battery a little further back will sort that one out? Just balance the quad on your finger tips either side in the exact middle and lift. If it tips forward move battery...
Good price too...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:55 AM
Joined Jan 2013
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by staib View Post
It is a bit further forward, but I would think that balancing the battery a little further back will sort that one out? Just balance the quad on your finger tips either side in the exact middle and lift. If it tips forward move battery...
Good price too...
I decided to opt for the V2 dual axis here;
http://www.ecshop360.com/ifly-biaxia...nt-p-3869.html

Interesting that they also stock the ifly 4 & 4s FC- but they do not appear to be mounted on a distribution board.

I just hope that customs are on a break !
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:14 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by discv View Post
I decided to opt for the V2 dual axis...
Good call. Just be aware that it can shake a little in a strong wind!
But then so can the quad...

Fingers crossed that the parcel sails through UK customs
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:47 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2013
19 Posts
Can anyone suggest more powerful motors/esc Combo that would be suitable for IFLY 4S I would like to upgrade/change motors and esc on my quad.
DroneOps is offline Find More Posts by DroneOps
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:29 AM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
343 Posts
Hi Droneops - this is an iFly-4 thread, and I mention that not to sound unwelcoming to you (you are very welcome here) but because most of us with the iFly-4 are stuck with the default specific ESCs that control each of the motors. So there won't be that much experience here of that upgrade.

Having said that I am curious why you are after different motors, as there seems no shortage of lifting power with the stock motors - I am using a 3,300 battery, FPV gear, a 2 axis gimbal with GoPro clone, and still need to be gentle on the throttle when flying low under trees...

Cheers,
Nick
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:15 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Add me to the Ifly Club

Hey guys/gals/not sure yet

I just ordered my Ifly-4 from HK last night. Been looking at this one for awhile. I have a FPV plane that I am going to take my gear out of and eventually put into this. Actually sold the plane to get this!

I have skimmed through most of the thread and decided after reading the good and bad to get this quad.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:36 PM
France, Aquitaine, Bordeaux
Joined Dec 2012
128 Posts
Welcome to the crazy flying, Lithonion

I think I made a mistake in my order for the engine

I preis that there > http://www.hobbygaga.com/fr-moteur-b...12-p258797.htm

while the latter corresponds more not it ? http://www.hobbygaga.com/fr-moteur-b...01-p260663.htm

I took for ifly 4, while the other is ifly 4S ...

axis is 8 mm, while the other is smaller

Now, is that photos meet really ...

Which one would take you ?
h.300 is offline Find More Posts by h.300