SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:52 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,540 Posts
Doug: Looking good. It looks like our Stirling "cousins" are at about the same stage. Maybe they will get wet together?
OBW
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:41 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
302 Posts
Thanks. Sure looking forward to getting them wet but it won't be until next summer. I just put down a layer of glass so now starts the endless sanding. I would like to get the hull painted before the cold weather sets in. It seems like a long way away but it will be here before you know it. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.
Doug
tinknocker is offline Find More Posts by tinknocker
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:42 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
302 Posts
These pictures are almost the same as the last post but taken after many hours of sanding. Next is prime fill sand repeat-repeat-repeat. In my case there will be many repeat steps before it gets top coated. Thanks for looking.
Doug
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:56 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
OOOOOOO! Dat's niccccceeeeee. Ya gonna glass it Doug? Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:18 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
302 Posts
Yeah Pete the glass is already on with three coats of resin and lots of sand time with 60 grit and 150 grit. Primer is next and plenty of filler and much more time with the a sanding block and more primer. Thanks much Pete.
Doug
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:12 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
302 Posts
Hi all
It has been a while since I have posted but that doesn't mean I have not been busy. Got the hull painted outside before the weather turned. We woke up this morning to 40 degree temps. The deck planking took close to 40 hours. The toe rails and motors are just put in place to get an idea how see how things will go together. Now that building season is just around the corner it will move a little quicker. I'll post more pictures as I go. Thanks for looking.
Doug
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:31 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,782 Posts
GREAT looking start !!

Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:43 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
Now that's going to be a beauty. Good work Doug,nice and clean. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:25 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
A very nice job, Doug. As usual, I'm enjoying and learning from your fine work. Thanks for sharing with us.
Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:44 PM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
Hi all
It has been a while since I have posted but that doesn't mean I have not been busy. Got the hull painted outside before the weather turned. We woke up this morning to 40 degree temps. The deck planking took close to 40 hours. The toe rails and motors are just put in place to get an idea how see how things will go together. Now that building season is just around the corner it will move a little quicker. I'll post more pictures as I go. Thanks for looking.
Doug
What kind of wood is that on the sides and window frames.
Very nice build BTW

Gary
P31 is offline Find More Posts by P31
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:33 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
302 Posts
Thanks guys for the encouragement.
Gary All the wood on this cabin will be bass wood and stained. The other two Chris's before this one were done in mahogany but the grain is straight and splits in a heart beat so it is a pain to work with. Areas between the windows would split very easily. So far no problems with the bass.
Doug
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:35 PM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing, using bass wood on my referb build. thanks.
Gary
P31 is offline Find More Posts by P31
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:32 PM
USA, IN, South Bend
Joined Oct 2009
11 Posts
Quote:
Hi all
Doug
Doug, very nice build. What motors are you using and what size props will you use? Are the plans ones you had on hand from a previous build or did you obtain them from another source?

Jim
JimS43 is offline Find More Posts by JimS43
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
USA, IN, South Bend
Joined Oct 2009
11 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys for the encouragement.
Gary All the wood on this cabin will be bass wood and stained. The other two Chris's before this one were done in mahogany but the grain is straight and splits in a heart beat so it is a pain to work with. Areas between the windows would split very easily. So far no problems with the bass.
Doug
Doug, will you be using thin mahohany veneer over the bass wood cabin sides?

Thanks
JimS43 is offline Find More Posts by JimS43
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
302 Posts
Jim The plans came from e-bay several years ago. I haven't seen them around lately. One thought you might want to do is contact Norgale. He had plans for the Chris Craft 63'so he may have plans for the Catalina. The motors are 12 volt Johnsons from All Electronics. I have not given much thought to the props yet but probably 11/4" to 11/2". Al at Ships and Things is my source of information for my hardware so whatever he recommends is what I will use. I used Min Wax Red Chestnut stain on the transom and really liked the way it came out so I what to use it on the basswod. I need to test it first to check the color on the bass. If it doesn't look right then we use a different stain but no veneer will go on the cabin. The bass has a fine grain so I am hoping that it will look like mahogany when it is finished. Hope I have answered your questions.

Doug