HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:31 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Build Log
Scratch Sterling Catalina

Well I finally started the Catalina on Februray 1st. This is going to be a slow build. Getting old I guess. This boat will be 42". I should have blown the plans up to 50" but this is still a pretty good size. Thanks for looking.:
Doug
tinknocker is offline Find More Posts by tinknocker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:17 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
You're off to a fine start, Doug. Sounds like a good idea to have a stronger keel. You will be building in 1:14.3 scale, a good choice. Having seen your work on your earlier Sterling models, I'm going to be eagerly following this project of yours. Thanks for taking the time to share your progress with us via pictures and text; you're a good instructor.
Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:13 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,278 Posts
I'm watching this build.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:20 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
This thread added to WOODIES: Wooden Pleasure Craft Build Logs listing.

Path: RCGroups -> Boats -> Scale Boats ->"WOODIES..."

Lookin' forward to followin' along
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Mar 02, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:12 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
Build Board

Hi Doug, Firstly, thanks for allowing us to watch your build.

Secondly, is there some instruction that tells you how to lay out the risers on your building board? Give you the height of each? Or did you have to calculate all that from something?

Thanks, Barry
ClassicBoats is offline Find More Posts by ClassicBoats
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,540 Posts
Hi neighbor !!!!

Well almost neighbor. I live due west of you in Pa. Will be starting my second Stirling B11M soon . Last one 1960-61. (don't ask about that one) Have a honey do list first ,but,still have time to watch you. I like what I see already.
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
OH BOY, Im watching this, great start.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:29 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Hey thanks guys. I do appreciate all of your comments.
Craig thanks for putting my build on your tread.
Barry interesting question. Take the measurements for the stations from the full size side view then lay them out on the building board. On the side view draw a datum line 3/4" to one inch above the highest point of the deck and run it out the full length of the boat. Make sure that the line is square and parallel with the highest point. Then take your measurements from that line down to where the deck sits on each frame. That measurement is the length of the leg on each frame. It does get a little confusing because you are working upside down so it difficult to visulize how the deck steps down. It will be more clear once you start to lay out your lines. Just be accurate with your measurments. I have been following your 63 build and man that interior is killer. You havereally nailed it. Your work is nothing short of spectacular. I am enjoying watching your build.

Hey Bilge Where in Pa? I am in central Jersey. Waiting patiently for your build to start. New Sterling owners are always welcome. I see you are already collecting info on equipment for the build. Good way to start.
Doug
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,540 Posts
Hi neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
Hey thanks guys. I do appreciate all of your comments.
Craig thanks for putting my build on your tread.
Barry interesting question. Take the measurements for the stations from the full size side view then lay them out on the building board. On the side view draw a datum line 3/4" to one inch above the highest point of the deck and run it out the full length of the boat. Make sure that the line is square and parallel with the highest point. Then take your measurements from that line down to where the deck sits on each frame. That measurement is the length of the leg on each frame. It does get a little confusing because you are working upside down so it difficult to visulize how the deck steps down. It will be more clear once you start to lay out your lines. Just be accurate with your measurments. I have been following your 63 build and man that interior is killer. You havereally nailed it. Your work is nothing short of spectacular. I am enjoying watching your build.

Hey Bilge Where in Pa? I am in central Jersey. Waiting patiently for your build to start. New Sterling owners are always welcome. I see you are already collecting info on equipment for the build. Good way to start.
Doug
NEAR QUAKERTOWN (about 60 miles,as the crow flies) I'VE BEEN IN YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS MANY TIMES. Colts Neck Inn, Delicious Orchards,
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:03 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Got the stuffing box mounts made and mounted today. I would like to get the shafts and motors installed before the planking goes on. It depends on how impatient I get but it is easier to get the alignment right when everything is open.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Another watcher.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:06 PM
Ron M.
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2011
79 Posts
Another watcher here,but I have to ask, a small cardboard box with a toggle switch and a piece of tubing coming out of it has my curiosity.
Ronkat is offline Find More Posts by Ronkat
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:03 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Nice pickup Ronkat. That is a put together fan that I use to blow the CA fumes away. Over the years working with the glue my system is gettng more sensitive to the fumes so this is something that seems to help. It is a simple thing, a six volt motor with a small fan powered by a six volt gel cell blowing thru a plastic drinking cup with the bottom cut out. Good eyes Ron. Hope this helps.
Doug
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:06 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Got back to work and made some progress on the transom. I think I will start to plank and work out motor mounts after it is cut loose from the board. Thanks for looking.
Doug
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:02 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Sorry for the long delay in posting pictures. I got a new computer and needed help uploading pictures. Finally we had to call in the big guns (our daughter) to get me on the right track. I think that I am on the right track now. Those of us of a certain age will understand. I will post more pictures soon.
Doug