Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:33 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
Build Log
Caballero (Mechanix Illustrated)

Hi All
This is my first post and first scratch built model.

I haven't done anything like this since before I was married so I'm a little rusty, I also have two kids under 3 so time is limited.

From what I can make out the plans and a building guide for the Caballero were published in Mechanix Illustrated mag.

She appears to be a smaller (19 foot) copy of the Chris-Craft Commander Express and powered with 1 or 2 outboard motors.

I got the plans from Svenson's
http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=Mech...ated/Caballero

I then scaled the plans in CAD (I'm a draftee).

So here we go, any tips or sugestions will be much appreciated.
Ben
the_11th_guest is offline Find More Posts by the_11th_guest
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:48 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,060 Posts
Welcome to the groups!
Now, what do you plan to use for drives?
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Good start. Can't be easy with a young family but at least the wife will always know where you are and you can pass on some good skills to the kids. These days model making is all about box opening and decal application - finished! They will see you doing the real thing and will try it themselves when older.

What size is the model you're building? I may be able to recommend some motors from Jaycar that I've had good results from. I've even made shafts and stuffing boxes from the brass stock found at many model shops. Has worked for the last 25 years and won't break the family budget.

Look forward to seeing more progress when you can steal some time.

Cheers,
David
KiwiDavid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiDavid
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:40 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
The 1:1 boat is 19ft so at 1:10 it will be 19 inches. Iím a metric boy however and that means 520mm to me. If you look closely in the second photo you can see the box for the Aquacraft EP1 Iíll be using though I plan to make it look a bit more period correct later.
I have always wanted to do an outboard model (I grew up in a small fishing village called Tin Can Bay). When I saw that these were going out of production I got one from tower hobbies and shelved it until I had the right boat to fit it on.

Not sure what esc to use, any help there would be good. The EP1 has the standard 550 brushed motor and prop.

For radios iíll be using an older 2 channel futuba set that is in a nitro car that the kids are scared of.

By the way If anyone is interested I am drawing the scale plans & patterns for the ribs and keel in CAD so hit me up if you want them.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:49 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2006
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_11th_guest View Post
The 1:1 boat is 19ft so at 1:10 it will be 19 inches. Iím a metric boy however and that means 520mm to me.
Great looking boat and great start. Not to be a negative nancy, but at 1/10 scale, I come up with 22.8 inches or 579 mm
mitchlandry is online now Find More Posts by mitchlandry
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:59 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
What oh no... wait...
Wait..
Ah, yes your right, my bad, serves me right for trying to be smart, 579mm not 520mm, I didn't check my plan when I whote that post. Feet and inches confuse the heck out of me.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:01 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2006
543 Posts
LOL, at least you got it right on the plans and cuts. I typically use the measure once, cut twice method before i get it correct.
mitchlandry is online now Find More Posts by mitchlandry
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:30 AM
Tygum Lagoon Terror
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,455 Posts
Cool, another boater from Brisvegas

Look forward to see this evolve.

Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:26 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
Hi Nick I was unaware of you guys on the southside until I came to this site I'll have to come out and have a look. Do you know of any stores in Brisbane that have good scale fittings Hobby One at stafford has a few things but mostly tiny Man of War stuff and nothing very modern. Also I'll be after mahogany planking and veneers.

I got another 2 ribs planed and fitted last night.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
This thread added to WOODIES: Wooden Pleasure Craft Build Logs listing.

Path: RCGroups -> Boats -> Scale Boats ->"WOODIES..."

We be watchin'
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:51 AM
Tygum Lagoon Terror
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,455 Posts
John Darke has a good supply of fittings, has a small home based shop, I will PM his contact details.,

Your more than welcome to come down to the club

Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:33 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
Had a good go at it last night. The last 3 ribs are cleaned up and glued in and I pulled the radios out of the nitro car. After cleaning them up I couldn't resist putting them in for a look. The battery is out of my Tamiya Hilux that I plan to use as a tow car but I think it is the kind of thing I'll use.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:46 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_11th_guest View Post
By the way If anyone is interested I am drawing the scale plans & patterns for the ribs and keel in CAD so hit me up if you want them.
Hi Ben, Yes, I'd love to get a copy/file of your ribs & keel or whatever else you'll make for this boat. I don't have any model Outboards so I'd be building this as an Inboard, but that would mean changing the transom only, I think. My CAD software is proprietary and meant for jewellers, but it can import a great many file types.

Thanks, Barry
ClassicBoats is offline Find More Posts by ClassicBoats
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:01 AM
Australia, QLD, Ashgrove
Joined Nov 2009
533 Posts
nice job
alex111 is offline Find More Posts by alex111
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: rc speed boats
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:37 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
This weekend was cleaning weekend as designated by she who must be obeyed so not much got done on the Caballero.
I did pull it of the building board and I got the port side chine log fitted though.