HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Build Log
Scratch Build Quad with HK Parts

So this is my build log for my quadcopter. Most of the electronics I got from HobbyKing and the frame is a scratch build idea of mine. really just developing it as I build. This is my first time attempting to build a quad, or any muilti-rotor for that matter. I have flown some basic level fly-bar helicopters, 3 and 4 channel. But I've mostly just done planes in the hobby. Really looking forward to this though. Any suggestions, comments, tips, questions or ideas are welcome! The first stages of the build are posted below:
First my Hobbyking order arrived:
i purchased the following parts
-AX 2308N 1100kv brushless Micro Motor x4
-HobbyKing 10A ESC 1A UBEC x4
-HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V3.0
-Hobby King 2.4Ghz Receiver 6Ch V2
-USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL
-8X4R Propellers (Standard and Counter Rotating)
Flying Penguins is offline Find More Posts by Flying Penguins
Last edited by Flying Penguins; Feb 28, 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: adding in picture
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Here are the parts from Hobbyking all layed out. time to start the build
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:09 PM
Prog Rocker
Down South
Joined Jul 2009
334 Posts
Are you sure those motors will work? It looks like they are made for a stick mount., a little hard to tell from the hobbyking picture.
How do program those speed controllers, can they use a programming card?
Camelboy is offline Find More Posts by Camelboy
Last edited by Camelboy; Feb 28, 2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: another question
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
My frame, 1cmx1cmx67cm balso crossing eachother with a 7cmx7cm balsa plate on the bottom, another will be added on top to sandwich the two sets of arms together, really like so far. Next I put the ESC's in, they fit nicely right in the four corners, that's why I held off putting the top plate on, as you can see a perfect fit.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelboy View Post
Are you sure those motors will work? It looks like they are made for a stick mount., a little hard to tell from the hobbyking picture.
How do program those speed controllers, can they use a programming card?
Yeah, actually here's the stick mount and how i'm using it to my advantage actually. I'm using the same balsa and the motor mount is doubling as landing gear. basically I'm mounting it perpendicular to the arm, with some support from the sides and a screw right through.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Camelboy, in terms of programming the esc's, i actually don't know, i wasn't planning on programming then and after a quick look i can't find anything. The one problem with hk is that there were no instructions however on the website it does list some programming functions.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:32 PM
Prog Rocker
Down South
Joined Jul 2009
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Penguins View Post
Camelboy, in terms of programming the esc's, i actually don't know, i wasn't planning on programming then and after a quick look i can't find anything. The one problem with hk is that there were no instructions however on the website it does list some programming functions.

I have built four quads so far, I think your frame is going to not be strong enough
considering the motors you are using, 67cm is 26 or so inches, balsa is gonna flex too much, unless you are thinking of some type of support. You need to have ESC's you can program with a card, it's tough to set manually, but maybe you are good at those kind of things, since you need to set your battery type to nimh,
and so on, since the KK board might be a little tough to arm. just a few thoughts, I hope it all works for you.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Thanks for the input, I'm definitely putting some serious thought into strengthening the arms and motor mounts. I'm actually using a Lipo, and the arms are only 12" for each motor though. I think I'm going to start with this frame, since it's a quick build, and see how it holds up, if it's not strong enough, then I can add supports or switch materials. You've definitely got me thinking about stronger motor mounts though. Did you do any build logs or posts for you quads? I'd love to see them.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
Prog Rocker
Down South
Joined Jul 2009
334 Posts
No, I never did post any of mine or build logs, , however two of my frames are from BlueskyRC.
They have some good ones, made of ply, and you supply your own arm material,
10mm fiberglass, or aluminum. Another is just an xaircraft 450, and I am in the process of putting together a quadaddict frame, with turnigy aerodrive motors, hobbywing flyfun escs. Maybe my Coptercontrol board, which is currently on the spyderquad from BlueSkyRC. I'm using a KK on my other Bluesky frame.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:37 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
My frame, 1cmx1cmx67cm balso
Ditch the balsa booms. Use spruce, carbon fiber or (last choice due to bending) aluminum. You can also use fiberglass Slow Stick booms, but they need a wood insert if you go that route. Also you might want to consider revising your design so that you can replace the booms. The way you're putting that together (sandwiched and glued?) it looks like you'll have to replace your frame and all 4 booms every time you break a boom. If you're not used to flying quads then it's very likely you have a few broken booms to look forward to, so do yourself a favor and make them easy to replace
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:16 AM
cereal killer
Joined Jan 2012
115 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input, I'm definitely putting some serious thought into strengthening the arms and motor mounts. I'm actually using a Lipo,

SNIP
I am sorta a noobie, but the thing about lipo v nicad is you want to set your quad to nicad even if you are using lipo because when set to lipo once the power drops to a certain level things just shut off (to protect the lipo from damage due to too much discharge) and the quad falls to the ground sometimes damaging the frame, motors, and other stuff.

If you set it to nicad the power remains on so the quad keeps flying and you are able to land it (hopefully) without damaging the frame and other stuff; even if you may damage the lipo battery.

The theory is it is better to damage a battery than damage the whole quad.

Maybe some of you smarter guys can explain this better, cuz I am way over my pay grade.
anonamous is offline Find More Posts by anonamous
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonamous View Post

If you set it to nicad the power remains on so the quad keeps flying and you are able to land it (hopefully) without damaging the frame and other stuff; even if you may damage the lipo battery.
No, you're right, I've heard of that before and it makes a lot of sense, I'll definitely find out how to set the speed controllers to nicad then. thanks!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
As for the frame, Tres Wright and Camelboy, you're probably right. After adding the motors to the arms tonight it's not as strong as I'd hoped it would be , but for now i'm going ahead of the build, the balsa for the frame cost me under $10 and i'm close enough to being finished that I'm going to go ahead. The major weakness in the arms is not the flexing but actually the rotating. I'm hoping there won't be much torsional force on the arms. Otherwise, for a light quadcopter like this, I think i might be okay. and if not then I'll post the crash video

Below is the progress I made tonight with mounting the motors. pretty simple mounts and they are solid onto the arms.

The next steps are really a lot of wiring, soldering and then some programming. As of now, I have no ability to program the HK Board, so my first flights will be with the pre-loaded + formation, which I hope to switch to and x eventually.
In light of your suggestions, long term I plan to add additional supports to the arms, I'll post plans for that soon.

Thanks for everyone's input, it is really well appreciated!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,344 Posts
Quote:
The one problem with hk is that there were no instructions however on the website it does list some programming functions.
Manual is here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...52X7478X54.pdf
Programming is explained page 6.
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
Manual is here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...52X7478X54.pdf
Programming is explained page 6.
Thanks for the manual, I hadn't found that before.

Any suggestions for mounting the Control Board as to reduce vibrations?