HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,506 Posts
We need a few of these as well:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608210

We could drop in like they do at NASCAR races and such.
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:34 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,268 Posts
So say someone doesn't quick charge their packs. Uses 1c all the time. Feels it prolongs the life of a cheap battery. Is there still a benefit to using 24V? A particular person I know uses a old car battery. He feels it works for him. If he had a 24volt setup he could charge faster and more efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
24 volts reduces the heat in the supply wires and doubles the watts output compared to 12 volts. (if charger is capable of this kind of output)

My PL8 melted one of the APP's on my 10 gauge supply line when charging a 6S pack at 15 amps at 12 volts. I now charge at 25 amps at 24 volts and very little heat.

24 volts will close to double the watts output on high watt chargers. Translated, you can charge close to twice as fast at 24 volts than at 12 volts... IF your charger can run on 24 volts and puts out high charge rates.

Using a car battery at home to charge off of will shorten it's life many times more than normal. (not THAT normal) My car's last battery went over 6 years, can any of you say that? My truck...well... I used to charge off of it and only got around 1.5 years off the last one.

Rick
neck is offline Find More Posts by neck
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:35 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkrd View Post
We need a few of these as well:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608210

We could drop in like they do at NASCAR races and such.

Funny I'm actually reading how to create parachutes now. Nothing as complicated as that. I actually have some German plans on how those are made. Actually pretty simple.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:49 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,268 Posts
Pretty cool.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:12 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2010
3,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck View Post
Pretty cool.

Where does the power10 go? Can I shoot it down with my tank?
12345 is offline Find More Posts by 12345
Last edited by 12345; May 16, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:21 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,268 Posts
I'm going to try to attend this meeting. I know I sound like a #@#@#! but I'm not going to bring up the spotter rule unless the board decides to bring it up to a vote.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:25 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,268 Posts
Bill you can stick your power 10 where ever you want. I won't judge.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:41 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck View Post
So say someone doesn't quick charge their packs. Uses 1c all the time. Feels it prolongs the life of a cheap battery. Is there still a benefit to using 24V? A particular person I know uses a old car battery. He feels it works for him. If he had a 24volt setup he could charge faster and more efficiently.
24V is not needed. They are better going with a lower co$t power supply that spits out 12V.
Nobody has been able to confirm fast charging a battery rated for such shortens the life of a pack. Any pack rated at 20C can easily take 2C, I go 3C. A 30C pack can go 4C, some 5C and 6C. In a nutshell, you don't want to put heat into a pack when charging.
Of course, the same person would be well advised to terminate his charge at 4.1 to 4.15 volts per cell. That has been proven to give longer life to any, repeat,,, any pack.

Dis
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,506 Posts
Quote:
24 volts reduces the heat in the supply wires and doubles the watts output compared to 12 volts. (if charger is capable of this kind of output)

My PL8 melted one of the APP's on my 10 gauge supply line when charging a 6S pack at 15 amps at 12 volts. I now charge at 25 amps at 24 volts and very little heat.

24 volts will close to double the watts output on high watt chargers. Translated, you can charge close to twice as fast at 24 volts than at 12 volts... IF your charger can run on 24 volts and puts out high charge rates.

Using a car battery at home to charge off of will shorten it's life many times more than normal. (not THAT normal) My car's last battery went over 6 years, can any of you say that? My truck...well... I used to charge off of it and only got around 1.5 years off the last one.

Rick
I have a Hyperion 730 and GT Power 4 channel chargers. I currently have a 12V 30a PS that I run both off of(not at the same well).

I can run the Hyperion with a paraboard and 4-3s packs 2200-3300mah. The GT Power charger will give "input voltage err" if I try to use all 4 channels with 3s and 4s packs of high capacity. With the 24V this should not be an issue from all I have read and both chargers are rated to 24v.
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:13 PM
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
You can try it first and pay last. If you don't return it or pay for it I will send Neck after you.

Rick
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:42 AM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2005
2,326 Posts
I am fully in support of you JeRks. But I don't need a power supply just yet.

Other Rick
swarick is offline Find More Posts by swarick
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:00 PM
Pattern Abuser
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
2,821 Posts
Quote:
Jeremy and I are going into business together. ...we are thinking of naming the company JeRk Juice.
Rick
I was called a JeRk the other day by a very influential person. Does that mean I can share in the profits. I'm to much of a JeRk to do any work to earn it...
jimflys1 is offline Find More Posts by jimflys1
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2010
3,506 Posts
My tank arrived, pretty darn cool ! Lots of features and detail not mentioned. It came with a Nicad battery, I threw a lipo in it and I am off to the races. Now it will bounce a pellet off three walls. Somebody could put an eye out with this thing. I got a lot of airsoft pellets to pick up.

Anyone attend the meeting?
12345 is offline Find More Posts by 12345
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:27 PM
Pattern Abuser
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
2,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
My tank arrived, pretty darn cool ! Lots of features and detail not mentioned. It came with a Nicad battery, I threw a lipo in it and I am off to the races. Now it will bounce a pellet off three walls. Somebody could put an eye out with this thing. I got a lot of airsoft pellets to pick up.

Anyone attend the meeting?
Now THAT is exciting. Kid with a new toy....
jimflys1 is offline Find More Posts by jimflys1
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:25 AM
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
I did