HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Which Du-bro wheels are you all putting on your Apprentice. Are you using the wheels with the grey center, or the skinny wheels with the cream color "spoked" center.

I am mostly flying helis now since I sold my T-28. I am actually seriously considering getting an apprentice. I know this is kind of going backwards, but I think I would just like the slow scale like flying of the apprentice.

Anyone think I'm crazy?
lawguy14 is offline Find More Posts by lawguy14
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy14 View Post
Which Du-bro wheels are you all putting on your Apprentice. Are you using the wheels with the grey center, or the skinny wheels with the cream color "spoked" center.

I am mostly flying helis now since I sold my T-28. I am actually seriously considering getting an apprentice. I know this is kind of going backwards, but I think I would just like the slow scale like flying of the apprentice.

Anyone think I'm crazy?
I use the 3" dubro skinny white spoke ones. They work great, but I wish they were a bit wider as these get kinda wobly after quite a bit of use. I considered using ME 109 parkzone wheels. They are 3" and I use them on a couple of my tail draggers. They are very solid though.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:50 PM
Intermediate boob
Seoul, Korea
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Haven't had the Apprentice, but did have the Super Cub modded with ailerons and the PZ Stinson Reliant. I gave the former away and killed the Stinson doing inverted low passes. I rather preferred the Stinson: just as moddable as the Trojan and not as much a trainer as a Cub. I do have a powered up T-28 I love flying all the time.
demuddy is online now Find More Posts by demuddy
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,331 Posts
I still very much enjoy flying the Apprentice, so I don't think you are crazy.

I have the dubro wheels with the diamond tread and gray hubs. I did make some bushings out of hardware store brass tube, so they would roll w/o wobble.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,139 Posts
Quote:

Anyone think I'm crazy?
not crazy. I like flying my highwing planes down low....get'em on ground effect and greasing landings on a trike is awesome to watch....
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Yeah I love the trike landing gear that I had on my T-28. A few guys were flying some of their P-47 thunderbolts and Spitfires with retracts and they had the hardest time even getting them to take off without nosing over...and then landings always ended with a nose over.

Maybe I will have to march down to the LHS and pick me up an apprentice. This would be my first plane with rubber bands holding the wing on. Do you leave them on all the time or are you supposed to take them off and leave them in a container filled with water when not in use? Also is there a certain size rubber band I should get?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2,139 Posts
I hear they are tough on grass to get going. landing too, is tricky on grass. it's a matter of bringing the planes down low and to a near stall as the wheels tough with up elevator. I can do it with a Flyzone Cub, so I know it's possible. But I do 90% of my flying off asphalt. I don't know of anyone around here that store the bands in water.....they just hang them on a peg....
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Well went to the LHS this afternoon and got the Apprentice. Now to put it together and wait for some nice weather for the Maiden. Stock Eflite batteries are quite expensive. I will have to see if the Turnigy's are the same or similar dimentions
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,331 Posts
Turnegys I'm sure would be fine. I use Gens Ace from Nitro Planes, which work well. Don't forget to order some of whatever battery connector you use.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,331 Posts
PS. The plane is also a blast on floats. Seaplane supply makes a nice set. I covered mine in Ultracoat and added a water rudder.

Tons of fun
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Yeah I can't decide if I want to leave the EC3 on it that the plane and stock battery come with, or switch them over to the 4mm bullet connectors that the Turnigy's of that size come with. I guess the smart thing to do would be to change over the plane, so that I don't have to switch connectors every time I buy a new battery for it. I have both EC3 and 4mm charge leads since my Blade 450 uses the EC3 and my Trex 500 uses 4mm. I would like to have everything EC3 but someone told me the 6S batteries for my Trex are too much power for the EC3. Not really sure if that is true or not.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2,139 Posts
Quote:
Well went to the LHS this afternoon and got the Apprentice. Now to put it together and wait for some nice weather for the Maiden. Stock Eflite batteries are quite expensive. I will have to see if the Turnigy's are the same or similar dimentions
yea, resist as much as possible going up in the wind. That plane will take off even if you taxi around in it....happened to me
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
yea, resist as much as possible going up in the wind. That plane will take off even if you taxi around in it....happened to me
How much wind is too much for this plane?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:05 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,331 Posts
I went with Deans Ultra on everything. I had an EC3 that was really tough to unplug. HK I think calls them T connectors.

Wind wise, I'd do your first flights with it in very little wind. Once you get the hang of it 10 mph should be no problem.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Yeah the EC3's are definately a pain in the tail in to disconnect. Definately don't have to worry about those things coming unplugged in mid flight
Closed Thread