HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,156 Posts
Tacon Bigfoot 15 might also be an option.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:24 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I have both the Apprentice and T28 but not tons of experience, only a bit over a year in this addiction. Most in my area consider the T28 the choice of the two, but they don't own an apprentice. I have decided that even after I have passed the total beginner stage and fly more aerobatic planes I still appreciate the apprentice more than the T28. The stock apprentice is more aerobatic than the stock T28 in my opinion. Most of the guys I fly with that have advanced and still fly their T28's have them modded to the hilt with bigger motors and lots of power and control movement. But I am finding without mods, that I don't care much for the t28 now, but still love to fly the Apprentice. So now I fly my extra, or Carbon Z for a buzz and if I want to fly, have fun and relax, its the Apprentice or my super zoom. Just love scale like take offs and landings with the Apprentice and most regular people (as opposed to us rc nuts) like the looks of the Apprentice better as it is more like the real planes they see in our area.
Sorry to bud in but am in need for some help with my apprentice. I have flown her a good 20 times and am still finding it hard to eliminate the floating action when she lands thus requiring a long long run down before she hits the ground. Was just wandering if there are tricks to handling this problem.
redbaron1 is offline Find More Posts by redbaron1
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,644 Posts
Without actually watching you fly, my first guess would be better speed control/energy management. Take her 3 mistakes high then chop the throttle and start giving up elev to maintain altitude. See just how slow you can get. Start giving barely enough throttle to keep your altitude. You need to fly only a safe margain above that speed when landing.

As far as energy mgmnt, if you start your landing approaches too high, you'll be diving for the runway and you will only pick up speed doing that.

Just a couple of ideas.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,644 Posts
Ugh, I re-read your post and my response and I think I missed the mark. Sounds like you are getting slow, but floating along. In that case, maybe you're not setting up your approaches well. Ever watch shows on aircraft carrier ops? Like those guys you should have a designated runway, some free form pilots don't, and an imaginary window to fly through to make a good approach. Too high or low, then go around.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:25 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Ugh, I re-read your post and my response and I think I missed the mark. Sounds like you are getting slow, but floating along. In that case, maybe you're not setting up your approaches well. Ever watch shows on aircraft carrier ops? Like those guys you should have a designated runway, some free form pilots don't, and an imaginary window to fly through to make a good approach. Too high or low, then go around.
Now that you guys mentioned it I think my approach is too high as i have to avoid the trees and lamp posts as I make the landing. She lands with ease but like you said if the speed is too high then she will require the distance to do so. I do cut the throttle back to minimum but have to do this dive to the field to land. What I might try is to fly within the field then attempt a landing that way I might be 15 feet I reckon then attempt my approach. But one must admit the apprentice has a slight tendency to float a little.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Feb 2012
72 Posts
I posted not seeing there was multiple pages. After I posted I saw that and tried to dlelete my post. It wouldn't let me so this post of mine is a waste of forum space! Sorry!
ofd23 is offline Find More Posts by ofd23
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
i know you went with apprentice but here are some PK t28 vids i did from yesterday in case you are still on the fence. you can see how easy it flies.

Parkzone T28 HeadCam (5 min 46 sec)

Parkzone T28 (4 min 10 sec)
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,131 Posts
I started with a UM T-28, moved to a PZ P-47, got a 1400mm Cessna 182( early FMS), and a FunCub. I still appreciate the Cessna despit emy having electrical issues now. It's the only tricycle plane I have. My FunCub is a fly anywhere plane in about any wind condition. Ym P-47 had been remodeled and got it's flaps.....It's almost too nice to fly now...
JDMJim is online now Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Yea I have p47 also and don't appreciate tail dragger like that on our grass takeoff area. I either have to hold the tail when taking off initially or punch it
Otherwise I just tip over. I'm sure there is a mod to fix this but out of the box t28 is easier for me on takeoff/landings.
Fun cub is similar to t28 to me. Just different wing and I love the wheels for grass.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:34 PM
Intermediate boob
Seoul, Korea
Joined Nov 2009
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron1 View Post
Was wandering if anyone have suggestions as to the motor upgrade. Am contemplating putting in a power 25 e-flite motor in her but am open to suggestions.The Kv in the power 25 is rated around 1200 rpm per volt and think its a bit high for the job. am looking for Kv rate of about 1000 but can't find anything in the market place.
Eflite has two versions of the Power 25: one 1250 Kv and another 870Kv. I have the higher Kv one, with a 3s 2200 30C LiPo, and use the stock prop or an 8X8E (electric) prop. And there isn't really a very big difference in speed, I find. If you're freaked out at first, I suggest taking it up high to get used to the power. I suppose if I put a 4s on her, and I have one 3500 mAh 30C rated one ready, she will power up significantly. Check the motor specs and they have a good range of suggested prop dimensions for the various LiPos one is liable to use.
demuddy is offline Find More Posts by demuddy
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demuddy View Post
Eflite has two versions of the Power 25: one 1250 Kv and another 870Kv. I have the higher Kv one, with a 3s 2200 30C LiPo, and use the stock prop or an 8X8E (electric) prop. And there isn't really a very big difference in speed, I find. If you're freaked out at first, I suggest taking it up high to get used to the power. I suppose if I put a 4s on her, and I have one 3500 mAh 30C rated one ready, she will power up significantly. Check the motor specs and they have a good range of suggested prop dimensions for the various LiPos one is liable to use.
I ended up getting the 870 Kv motor with a 11x10 prop and she does pull a great deal and had to mix down elevator to compensate burst in thrust. Very quiet and yet potent. I fly her in half throttle most of the time as I have to slow her down quickly on landings as i have to dive down from over the tree tops to the field for the landing. The field I'm in is isolated and small and use the whole length to get her down. Still haven't ironed out the bugs in this bird yet and hoping to get the sweet point I am used to soon. Sourcing out her point of tip stall as she hides it so well with the occasional wing wobble before heading down. the wings do flex quite a bit when i put her a max head roll so much so the bottom sump piece dislodged on one of her rolls which left the tail pretty loose on stiff rudder and aileron turns. May be I'm an old fart when I say I just love to see planes just glide through the air effortlessly displaying their true potential ever so gently and that to me is a thing of beauty.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:38 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron1 View Post
May be I'm an old fart when I say I just love to see planes just glide through the air effortlessly displaying their true potential ever so gently and that to me is a thing of beauty.
Maybe it goes along with being old, but that is part of the attraction of the apprentice for me too. Since purchasing it mainly to teach myself how to land, I have moved on or up to more aerobatic type planes and have the very popular T28 also, but still find myself preferring it over the t28 for that relaxing real plane type flight. Push it and it will can be as aerobatic as the t28, but trumps it when you let it glide a full circle to a dead stick landing or touch and go. The only additional thing I am looking at for it is a way to bolt the wing on rather than fussing with the rubber bands. A couple of bolts seems much easier and solid, but just haven't figured out how I want to do it. Anybody have any suggestions?
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:05 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Maybe it goes along with being old, but that is part of the attraction of the apprentice for me too. Since purchasing it mainly to teach myself how to land, I have moved on or up to more aerobatic type planes and have the very popular T28 also, but still find myself preferring it over the t28 for that relaxing real plane type flight. Push it and it will can be as aerobatic as the t28, but trumps it when you let it glide a full circle to a dead stick landing or touch and go. The only additional thing I am looking at for it is a way to bolt the wing on rather than fussing with the rubber bands. A couple of bolts seems much easier and solid, but just haven't figured out how I want to do it. Anybody have any suggestions?
I'm with you when it comes to the rubber bands on the wings. I believe e-flte has come up with a new model which has 2 bolt downs that hold the wing in. Seen some pictures of it somewhere and she does look magnificent. Still the same lines to the apprentice with the battery compartment on top in front of the cockpit. Alot sleeker and very well finished. Wander when she will be out....then theres the convincing of the wife to justify the purchase.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,131 Posts
you can prolly retrofit an Apprentice for that. My Cessna has the pins on leading edge of the wing with two screws at the back
JDMJim is online now Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
you can prolly retrofit an Apprentice for that. My Cessna has the pins on leading edge of the wing with two screws at the back
Thats a good idea somewhat similar to the canopy mount of the t28. Got any pictures we could look at?
Closed Thread