HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
tilly70

i'm a newbe and trained with an apprentice. it's been in the trees twice and the satabilizeer section has been broken off two times. after repairs it still flies nicely and i wouldn't hesitate getting one as my first plane. i recommend a buddy box with an instructor. it will save you time and money.
capt jerry is offline Find More Posts by capt jerry
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly70 View Post
It would be nice if the Phoenix Flight Sim had the E-Flite Apprentice on there.
Choose the Multiplex Mentor in the model options, it will get you close and you can mod it with the Scale Wizard or advanced editing.. You can even change the color scheme to White!.
ovrclkd is offline Find More Posts by ovrclkd
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
I am a flight instructor for my local club and I used to suggest the Apprentice as a first model. HOWEVER, I have experinced ELEVATOR SNATCH on 5 different models with two crashing (one from high "Gs" unpluged the battery. I think the elevator is too thin and bends under load. I Love the T-28 and with a good instructor is a fine model to learn with...plus replacement parts are inexpensive.

Elevator Snatch .. when the surface moves under load and adds additional unwanted control. I have seen the wing tips bend as much as 4 inches from uncommanded elevator input. Has anyone else had this happen to their Apprentice???

Randy
Not sure about the Elevator Snatch, but I have noticed problems when the rubber bands get weak. The effect that I have seen looks like excess up elevator when finishing a loop. I believe what happens is a change in AOA. I can also imagine that you would see what looks like the wing bending.
paxskipper is offline Find More Posts by paxskipper
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:01 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxskipper View Post
Not sure about the Elevator Snatch, but I have noticed problems when the rubber bands get weak. The effect that I have seen looks like excess up elevator when finishing a loop. I believe what happens is a change in AOA. I can also imagine that you would see what looks like the wing bending.
Yeah...I think Meatball is seeing the result of loose wings. If the elevator was deflecting under load, wouldn't you see less elevator control input rather than more?? Seeing the wings deflect on a foamy is not unusual...its a foamy. That's one of the reasons they are so rugged!
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, WA, Covington
Joined Dec 2011
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly70 View Post
Thanks for everyone's input, it has made my decision easier. I've decided on getting the Apprentice. I'll pick up another battery to go with it, and a set of 2.50" wheels. If I can find someone locally who wants to buy the included transmitter, I'll sell it....otherwise I'll hold onto it as a backup or for using with my Phoenix Flight Sim software.
Tilly,

If you haven't already, when you ge the Apprentice and change the wheels to the larger size, also spread the main gear about an inch to bring the tail down a bit. The larger wheel do make for easier taxi on long grass and rough ground, but it was design for the 1.75s and needs the main gear adjusted for the 2.5s to being it back to level.

Also, check not only the fore/aft CG, but the axial balance. Found that mine was a bit out axially to the right with the wings centered on the fuse and had to move the wing abot 1/4 - 3/8 inch left to get it balanced. I then put 2 alignment marks on the front of the fuse and wing, and 1 mark on the back. Made a tremendous deifference in the trim. To check the axial balance, put a finger tip under the spinner and another under the center of the extreme rear of the fuse. If it's balanced it will come up with no tipping right or left. Check 3 or 4 times just to make sure it's not the placement of your fingers. If it is off, slide the wing a little to the high side and check again. Once you have it balance, out the alognment marks on the wing and fuse and you shouldn't have to worry about it again until the inevitable happens and you have to make repairs.

Hope this helps. Good flying
Gordon
holensum is offline Find More Posts by holensum
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
I use 3" dubro's on my apprentice for flying off our grass field and they are great. I changed all three, so angle is still the same everything is just higher off the ground.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,394 Posts
Yeah, I also enlarged all 3. Needs the clearance for hauling rc skydivers.

I didn't spread the main gear, as I have floats set up for stock width.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:00 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
284 Posts
I have just modified the under carriage by reversing the battery compartment having the main 2 wheels further forward, removing the front steering wheel and then adding a caster wheel just under the tail with a lead to the rudder servo for steering. front wheels are 70 mm while the back one is 30mm. The CG had to be checked and a little weight was added to the nose to compensate the weight shifting. Have set the CG to 83 dead from the leading edge. Am contemplating upgranding the motor to a power 25 but am wandering if it worth the effort. Power is decent but could do with a little extra for quicker pull ups. Will be taking her out this weekend and the heart rate is already raising. Hope she lands wells fingers crossed.
redbaron1 is offline Find More Posts by redbaron1
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
I would hate to loose the nose wheel on mine. Absolutely love the ease of landing and take offs and touch and goes with the trycycle gear.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,394 Posts
I kind of like tail draggers, and the Apprentice seems easy to convert, but that would mess up float mounting.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:23 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,933 Posts
I basically learned to fly on a Champ and then an Apprentice.

They're both still among my all-time favorites.

The App bears the scars of many crashes and major repairs, but flies almost as good as new.

With oversize wheels, and converted to a tail-dragger, she does real well on my club's rough country field.

If I ever total her -- and at this point I don't think I will -- I'd buy another.......

Dave
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
284 Posts
I wouldn't have converted her to a tail dragger but it was more of a no choice situation. The fields I fly in don't suit the tricycle gear and coupled with my lack of experience I decided to to this to avoid further damage to this bird. She's and the super cub are my all time favourites.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:33 PM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
284 Posts
Was wandering if anyone have suggestions as to the motor upgrade. Am contemplating putting in a power 25 e-flite motor in her but am open to suggestions.The Kv in the power 25 is rated around 1200 rpm per volt and think its a bit high for the job. am looking for Kv rate of about 1000 but can't find anything in the market place.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
A couple of our guys use Power 15's.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:21 PM
Norcross, GA
Joined Dec 2005
281 Posts
I have the PWR 15 in my Apprentice. Also, I use these rubber bands: