HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:57 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
I own and have flown both the Apprectice and the T-28. I believe that the Apprentice would be the better plane to start with. It flies very nicely and can do some simple aerobatics, you will also learn how to use your left rudder control which is good for coordination. I was not all that pleased with the T-28. I found it difficult to land.

I do suggest that if you can find someone with experience to help teach you the basics of flying the model. Flying a simulator is a good way to start to learn but it is a much different world when you are flying the model.

I agree get larger wheels for the Apprentice. I fly from a grass field and even though the grass was cut short it was difficult to get the plane off.

Like several others I have converted my Apprentice to a float plane. I haven't flown it off water yet but am really looking forward to it. I flew a Hobby Zone Super Cub with floats last year and really enjoyed it. At the end of last float flying season I changed to a brushless motor. It was a different plane.

I enjoyed it so much that I added more float planes. Currently I am building a Dragon Seaplane. I got away from the issue that you had sorry.

Bob
strawcuter is offline Find More Posts by strawcuter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
I've heard many others talk about switching out the wheels for bigger ones. If I do go with the Apprentice, my plan is to upgrade the wheels with 2.5" Du-Bro's.
Tilly70 is offline Find More Posts by Tilly70
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,306 Posts
Go with the biggest that will fit on the nose gear. The du-bro ones with the cross hatch tread would be a good choice.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:59 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly70 View Post
It would be nice if the Phoenix Flight Sim had the E-Flite Apprentice on there.
The Apprentice is on Clearview Sim
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:11 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
I would say the Apprentice. It's got a high wing which I think makes things easier when you are learning, as it is just more stable. I have a T-28 and it is relatively predictable and stable, but things just happen a little faster. My dad's first plane was an Apprentice, and if you think you would get bored, you can always put a motor in it that's way too big for it!

If you already have logged a bit of time on a sim, you may be just fine going for the T-28 right away.

You shouldn't have any problems selling the DX5. I sold the DX5 that came with my Dad's plane as he already had a DX6i. It sold for around $55 and shipping was $5 or $8 or something. You should pocket around $45 if you sell on eBay as I did.
srthomas218 is offline Find More Posts by srthomas218
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
I have also taken into account that having a good amount of T-28 sim time (flying in all types of wind conditions) would increase my flying experience. As far as prices go at my LHS, the Apprentice RTF version is $280, and the Parkzone T-28 is $219; they are pretty close in price after selling off the DX5e, but I will still need an additional battery no matter which one I choose. Maybe the best thing to do is pick up the Apprentice in the next couple of weeks or so. Spend a few months flying it, then if I see someone selling a used T-28 for a good deal, pick that up (that can be a little scary though....I typically prefer electronics stuff new so I can fall back on the warranty if there's an issue).
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I've flown both. I eventually sold my Apprentice to a young bloke and taught him to fly on it. I eventually sold the T-28 to an older bloke and am teaching him to fly on it. The Apprentice is much easier because of its size and greater inherent stabliity.

If I was going to buy either again, I would get the Apprentice because of its size, power and versatility. I'm flying much larger warplane style planes now so I would not get the PZ T-28 again (been there and done that).

Both are good planes and both will keep you interested for 12 months. The Apprentice will be better if you want to fly larger planes or get into nitro. The T-28 will be better if you think you are likely to stick to this size and style of plane in the foreseeable future.

I also think that, if you have had basic 4-channel flight instruction, you can probably teach yourself to fly with the Apprentice so long as you have plenty of space and start with small hops (eg keep it heading into the wind until it lifts, power down and practice keeping the wings level until it lands). This way you can build up to full flight. You cannot do this with the T-28, you have to get altitude quickly (eg get someone to do this if necessary) and then practice.

I agree with your last post. Get the Apprentice first. You will be able to sell it if it is still in good condition after 12 months. Figure on picking up a T-28 6 months or so down the track (eg keep your eyes open for a discounted version - they appear from time to time).
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:18 AM
United States, WA, Covington
Joined Dec 2011
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly70 View Post
I guess my biggest concern is whether or not I would get bored too soon with the Apprentice, only to turn around and pay more money out for the T-28. Has anyone experienced losing interest in their Apprentice quickly, or is it still part of your fleet?
I went with the Aprentice as my first plane and good portion of the decision was that my first flight was with a well experienced Apprentice that the owner still flies frequently. I had the same concern as you, that's a lot to pay to just get bored quickly. But the Apprentice, unlike a 3 channel, will let you do some aerobatics as well as being a nice relaxing plane to fly.

if you go with the Apprentice, dump the 1.75 wheels and replace with 2.5s. There is plent of room for the larger wheels and make for smoother take off and landing.
holensum is offline Find More Posts by holensum
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Dec 2006
115 Posts
I maidened my T-28 yesterday. I have a good bit of experience but have been out of flying for a few years. It was a stable, powerful airplane. I flew it in almost no wind though.

Apprentice is probably a better first plane.

Whichever one you use, take the time to adjust the control surfaces properly, check your radio settings, and measure the CG. Also consider how you will get the plane out of your house and safely to your flying spot! It's not the flying that is hard, it's little things like that that get you.

Also once you get it in the air and trimmed, practice stalls by cutting the power and keeping it level with the elevator. This will give you some idea of how slow you can bring her in.
tdogg77 is offline Find More Posts by tdogg77
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:24 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
The T-28 is a fantastic.......second plane. Get the high wing trainer or risk becoming a cliche.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input, it has made my decision easier. I've decided on getting the Apprentice. I'll pick up another battery to go with it, and a set of 2.50" wheels. If I can find someone locally who wants to buy the included transmitter, I'll sell it....otherwise I'll hold onto it as a backup or for using with my Phoenix Flight Sim software.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
I have been flying my Apprentice for 4 months. As a first plane I believe this was a good choice. So far no crashes (44 flights), a few stalled landings; but so far no repairs have been necessary. I you might want an instructor, I would suggest that you use a buddy box to get started. In general you bigest problem is likely to be flying too fast or slow on landings.
I suggest that you setup the control surfaces for minimum throw at first. If you stay high enough you can likely deal with any over control problems.
paxskipper is offline Find More Posts by paxskipper
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2005
778 Posts
T-28

I am a flight instructor for my local club and I used to suggest the Apprentice as a first model. HOWEVER, I have experinced ELEVATOR SNATCH on 5 different models with two crashing (one from high "Gs" unpluged the battery. I think the elevator is too thin and bends under load. I Love the T-28 and with a good instructor is a fine model to learn with...plus replacement parts are inexpensive.

Elevator Snatch .. when the surface moves under load and adds additional unwanted control. I have seen the wing tips bend as much as 4 inches from uncommanded elevator input. Has anyone else had this happen to their Apprentice???

Randy
Meatball is offline Find More Posts by Meatball
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
I am a flight instructor for my local club and I used to suggest the Apprentice as a first model. HOWEVER, I have experinced ELEVATOR SNATCH on 5 different models with two crashing (one from high "Gs" unpluged the battery. I think the elevator is too thin and bends under load. I Love the T-28 and with a good instructor is a fine model to learn with...plus replacement parts are inexpensive.

Elevator Snatch .. when the surface moves under load and adds additional unwanted control. I have seen the wing tips bend as much as 4 inches from uncommanded elevator input. Has anyone else had this happen to their Apprentice???

Randy
We have at least 6 of these in our club and one of them is mine that has over 100 flts on it. Never seen what you are talking about on any of them. Two of them are hopped up with hotter motors and are thrown thru some really serious tricks that I am sure the designers didn't plan on. The only time I have seen any control problems was when the rubber bands holding the wing were worn out and the wing shifted or lifted during a roll or loop or whatever. When that happens you will get a reaction like an extra control input.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,962 Posts
I have both the Apprentice and T28 but not tons of experience, only a bit over a year in this addiction. Most in my area consider the T28 the choice of the two, but they don't own an apprentice. I have decided that even after I have passed the total beginner stage and fly more aerobatic planes I still appreciate the apprentice more than the T28. The stock apprentice is more aerobatic than the stock T28 in my opinion. Most of the guys I fly with that have advanced and still fly their T28's have them modded to the hilt with bigger motors and lots of power and control movement. But I am finding without mods, that I don't care much for the t28 now, but still love to fly the Apprentice. So now I fly my extra, or Carbon Z for a buzz and if I want to fly, have fun and relax, its the Apprentice or my super zoom. Just love scale like take offs and landings with the Apprentice and most regular people (as opposed to us rc nuts) like the looks of the Apprentice better as it is more like the real planes they see in our area.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Closed Thread