SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,126 Posts
Discussion
Best kit for my 9 year old daughter.

My youngest is asking for me to get a plane that she can fly.

What is a good decent STURDY beginner plane?

I have been thinking a slowstick (it's what I learned on (slo-v to be specific) and I learned fine) but I am worried it won't handle many crashes...

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
bluemeane is online now Find More Posts by bluemeane
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:33 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
I think get a Hobbyzone Champ... it's cheap, convenient, small and very durable. I do not like the look of it personally, but from a practical perspective it's a nice plane to start with.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:40 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
A glider, they are forgiving enough that if aimed at the ground they will right themselves if the control surfaces go neutral given enough alt. Then again, I'm kinda partial to them. I learned flying a Gentle Lady, it was the best.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
i got a g Lady awsome plane modded mine to a T-tail!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
The Ember II is another choice. It flies somewhat slower than the Champ, is somewhat less aerobatic, and IMO is more durable.

I think the Champ is an excellent first plane for someone who is older, but for the very young like your daughter, I would go with the Ember II.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,617 Posts
My 7 year old daughter got to fly my champ 2 weekends ago. She had gotten about 45 minutes practice time on my Phoenix flight sim before that for practice. I launched it, she flew it, I helped her land it. Next time she'll land it most likely.

Main things I recommend if you try something similar:
1- Make sure she knows her left from her right cold. So when you say "ok bring it back to us, turn a little left" she can respond properly.
2- Neckstrap. Required for small hands.
3- Folding camp chair or other seat. My daughter sat on the chair with her legs criss-crossed and rested the transmitter (a DX6i) on her legs.

2 and 3 are for her comfort and to keep from breaking your Tx.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:57 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
blue,

Get this one. You and she build it together. Let her decorate it and fly the day lights out of it.

http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...070fdc535ir3e2

Regatds,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Nov 2008
519 Posts
I second the fancyfoam idea and of cource a nine eagle sky 500 is a good choice for a small girl. I have a champ, my daughter try it and a small crash broke the tail, although it is easy to fit but my daughter dare not try again.

Edmond
Edmond Y is online now Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:29 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
blue,

Get this one. You and she build it together. Let her decorate it and fly the day lights out of it.

http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...070fdc535ir3e2
I love this idea... I have seen planes like this one, and while it takes a somewhat odd attitude in the air, it flies very slow and very in control. The propeller is in the middle so it's safe from crashes, but you must be careful when hand launching. Since it's made of white foam it can be personalized very easily, and I think that would appeal to a young lady very much. I would love to see what some creative kids could come up with for it...

Here's a video I found on Youtube... it's a really cute modification and it flies so slow...

EzFly Dragon.wmv (2 min 56 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:54 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
I had my 9 year old niece try champ and night vapor. With no wind she had more fun with night vapor.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
something SLOW that flies CLOSE so she can SEE it react to her inputs...

NIGHT VAPOR..............................
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:06 PM
S.E. Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
852 Posts
I've never had one of these but there is a long thread on them right here on this forum and they seem like a pretty good choice for your application. Take a look at this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1538751
Lost_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Lost_Dawg
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,126 Posts
I was thinking of the EzFlyer actually (I have a couple of planes from fancy foam and love them!) so thanks for that one.

I am not wanting the Champ or Ember or Vapor as they are too spendy and small and can not fly outside when there is much wind.

I am leaning towards a Ez or a Slowfly (simply because its what I learned on (that and a Storm launcher lol!) and it is something I can fly and have fun with if I build it with a brushless setup hehehe
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Dawg View Post
I've never had one of these but there is a long thread on them right here on this forum and they seem like a pretty good choice for your application. Take a look at this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1538751
I looked at these birds but honestly they seem WAY overpriced... the EzFly is basically the same thing and WAY cheaper, plus i have all of the needed gear already. lol
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:56 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
blue,

Bond with your daughter...I've raised two! Not an easy job.

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg