HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:26 PM
2 many post 4 1 SlowStick
bubbadice's Avatar
Bossier City, La.
Joined Jun 2003
587 Posts
Help please w/ SS and Rx xtal questions, ...I use Paypal

I need to ask a couple of questions please. I'll state them BEST I can, ...flying RTF's didn't prepare me for this.

I'm trying to buy the right xtal for a Rx. They don't list by Ch. #, ...but rather by frequency.

Here's what has me messed up, I read today somewhere a Rx xtal needs to be (guess) +355 units? above the Tx xtal.
My Tx is Flash 5x.... Ch.48/72.750

Will a GWS FM Micro Rx xtal, listed as 72.750 work?
or do I need to get a,
Hitec FM Dual Conv Rx xtal at 72.750...AND do I indeed need to add a factor to the freq number?

It's worse, I can't say SURE, which of these 3 Rx's it needs to match.
GWS R4P
Hitec Feather
Hitec 555
ok, you can assume the 555.

A small question on the Rx is, on APenquin's SS thread, he wishes he had gotten a Rx with connections on the side.
I need it stated..... Vertical or Horizontal...sorry.

I'm pretty much lost, if it gets too bad, do you think I will be ok just to buy the cheap GWS flight pack, ...and just get the SS in the air the old basic cheapo way till I get it figured out better?
I'm ok, don't get me wrong, I just don't like buying something that isn't going to work/match, ...you know.
I'm hoping someone out there has enough beers in them this evening to wade thru this. Please ask any ?'s you may need to make sense of this post.
thanks, bubba
bubbadice is offline Find More Posts by bubbadice
Last edited by bubbadice; Oct 16, 2003 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:39 PM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Bubba the GWS crystal will only work in the GWS RX! For the 555 you need a Hitec Dual Conversion crystal the same channel as your Radio (TX) For the Feather you need a Hitec single conversion crystal the same channel as your Radio! YOU CAN NOT MIX AND MATCH as it won't work!!!! www.servocity.com has the Hitec crystals listed by channel to match your radio! Bubba all places that sell receivers list the crystals by channel number and so all you do is order the correct crystal for the RX you are buying to match your radio which you said is on channel 48! You are making something too complicated out of this!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Last edited by boomerace; Oct 16, 2003 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:46 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
BrunswickOH's Avatar
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Bubba, Call servocity.com (his number is on the site) tell him you have a flash 5 on channel 48(or better yet just give him the numbers off your TX crystal to make sure) and that you want a RX crystal for your 555(will be perfect for your SS) and he'll get you the right crystal. Done in one call-

as far as vertical or horizontal pins for your receiver, with the slow sticks setup you can use ANYTHING and anything will fit just fine!
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:47 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
BrunswickOH's Avatar
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
servocity.com ====free shipping on all orders!
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:50 PM
2 many post 4 1 SlowStick
bubbadice's Avatar
Bossier City, La.
Joined Jun 2003
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boomerace
Bubba the GWS crystal will only work in the GWS RX! For the 555 you need a Hitec Dual Conversion crystal the same channel as your Radio (TX) For the Feather you need a Hitec single conversion crystal the same channel as your Radio! YOU CAN NOT MIX AND MATCH as it won't work!!!! www.servocity.com has the Hitec crystals listed by channel to match your radio!
boomer
So I'm going w/ the Hitec Rx xtal that is listed exactly same as my Tx. frequency. Whatever it was I read, I'm thinking that has all been allowed for. The 555 has no option for Vert/Horiz that I know of, so that is taken care of.
THANKS BOOMERACE!
bubba
edit: BrunswickOH, thanx, ...why don't you just send me what I need brother??
Boomer, leave it to me to find a place that doesn't sell Rx xtals by channel #, called Discount Hobby Warehouse. (105 pgs rx xtals)
bubbadice is offline Find More Posts by bubbadice
Last edited by bubbadice; Oct 16, 2003 at 11:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:53 PM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
The Flash 5X has the Channel number right on the front of the TX crystal so all you have to do is look at it and it will say Channel XX!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:56 PM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Bubba get you some GWS Naro or Hitec 81 servos and go to www.cheapbatterypacks.com and order a couple 7 cell KAN packs and you are golden!!!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:01 PM
Member
William A's Avatar
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,907 Posts
One of my Flash 5's is on 48 also, so if ya need any #'s off the xtals just ask.
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:03 PM
2 many post 4 1 SlowStick
bubbadice's Avatar
Bossier City, La.
Joined Jun 2003
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boomerace
The Flash 5X has the Channel number right on the front of the TX crystal so all you have to do is look at it and it will say Channel XX!
boomer
Yes Sir, I think a way for me to go is to get the Feather and the 555, and get the two DIFFERENT xtals now, while I'm getting.

I'll search and read up on just what Dual conversion is later, I just hope it's not a religous cult! I've promised myself I will get my stuff ordered by mid-nite. Got to set goals sometimes!
bubba
POST EDIT: link to excellent description of Single/Dual Conversion:

http://www.bergent.net/SC-DC.pdf
bubbadice is offline Find More Posts by bubbadice
Last edited by bubbadice; Oct 19, 2003 at 01:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:07 PM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by William A
One of my Flash 5's is on 48 also, so if ya need any #'s off the xtals just ask.
William,
Don't give him any more numbers as we just got him straightened out! All he has to do is order a 555 with channel 48 crystal which is listed right with the 555 on Servos site! All he has to do is scroll down to Channel 48 on the crystal menu and click buy! It can't get any simpler than that!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:09 PM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Bubba,
If you fly with other people DON'T get a Feather as they glitch alot!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:12 PM
2 many post 4 1 SlowStick
bubbadice's Avatar
Bossier City, La.
Joined Jun 2003
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boomerace
Bubba get you some GWS Naro or Hitec 81 servos and go to www.cheapbatterypacks.com and order a couple 7 cell KAN packs and you are golden!!!
boomer
Don't feel too golden right now,
I've chosen the 81's, do you think it is worth a few bucks more for the MG (metal gears)?
I want them to last. I'm thinking in the end I'll end up with the Feather Rx in the SS, and the 555 in my 'flagship'. That's my plan going in anyways.
Bubba
edit: my plans just seemed to have changed re: Feather after catching your post Boomer, I'm going to ease up, get my head together, clean up my list of to get items, and act like I know what I'm doing.
bubbadice is offline Find More Posts by bubbadice
Last edited by bubbadice; Oct 16, 2003 at 10:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:27 PM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bubbadice
Don't feel too golden right now,
I've chosen the 81's, do you think it is worth a few bucks more for the MG (metal gears)?
I want them to last. I'm thinking in the end I'll end up with the Feather Rx in the SS, and the 555 in my 'flagship'. That's my plan going in anyways.
Bubba
edit: my plans just seemed to have changed(re: Feather) Boomer, I'm going to ease up, get my head together, clean up my list of items, and act like I know what I'm doing. Don't tell anyone. it's between you and me.
Bubba,
Hitec now makes a new single conversion RX
http://www.servocity.com/ServoCity/P...4mg_fm_rx.html and I put one in a plane for my Son-in-law and was amazed at the range and lack of glitching! I would highly recommend that RX!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:35 PM
2 many post 4 1 SlowStick
bubbadice's Avatar
Bossier City, La.
Joined Jun 2003
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boomerace
Bubba,
Hitec now makes a new single conversion RX
http://www.servocity.com/ServoCity/P...4mg_fm_rx.html and I put one in a plane for my Son-in-law and was amazed at the range and lack of glitching! I would highly recommend that RX!
boomer
I'll go check it out, sounds like it could take the place of what I was going to do with the Feather? I realize as I get close to 'clicking' the pay icon, I'm not totally clear on basic things.

Like am I correct in assuming there are TWO main types of gear.
Hitec/Fut...and Airtronics/Jr. In other words if a part just says Futaba, can I assume it works with Hitec?
bubba
bubbadice is offline Find More Posts by bubbadice
Last edited by bubbadice; Oct 16, 2003 at 09:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:38 PM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bubbadice
I'll go check it out, sounds like it could take the place of what I was going to do with the Feather? I realize as I get close to 'clicking' the pay icon, I'm not totally clear on basic things.

Like am I correct in assuming there are TWO main types of gear.
Hitec/Fut...and Airtronics/Jr. In other words if a part just says Futaba, can I assume it works with Hitec?
bubba
Futaba and Hitec use the same shift and plugs! For your Hitec 5X always buy Futaba/Hitec!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PLEASE ANYONE HELP ME w my ESC MOTOR AND RX kryptoniteRxn Mini Helis 24 Sep 23, 2005 03:13 PM
Help! HELP!! Probs. w/Tx/Rx....or...?? Bernoulli~Bros Radios 12 Mar 22, 2004 01:05 PM
Please help w/ glitching rx DennisG Electric Plane Talk 5 Aug 06, 2002 05:37 AM
Twin w/280 - wiring help please... Clay Howe Foamies (Kits) 5 May 29, 2002 10:54 PM
New guy has questions about electrajet and batteries. Help please,,, snowman610620 Foamies (Kits) 1 Jan 26, 2002 09:02 AM