HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:36 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,966 Posts
Discussion
indoor plane design

Here is my new indoor plane design. I used all of the components from my broken Proto Max helicopter the same heli as the Solo Pro Eagle Nine. The esc, servo, rx board, the battery holder and the motor are used. Jusr cut away all of the unessecary plastic from the heli parts. It weighs 42 grams and has a 20" span. I put a 7-6 slo fly prop on it. It pulls about .7 amps if I remember correctly. The heli battery plugs into the bottom flush when all the way in. The wing is just taped on now. I may replace it with a longer wing if the plane flies too fast.I haven't flown it yet. I have glide tested in the basement with a 1 second motor run and it looks good. It took right off! I may get a chance to fly it later on today if the senior center gym is open. Here is a couple pictures. If anyone has any questions. Let me know. RCNutt
rcnutt is offline Find More Posts by rcnutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:45 AM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
591 Posts
Looks Great !
Keep up the good work. This is what micro is all about, having Fun at what we do.
Keep Them Flying ! , Ken
Ken Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:54 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,159 Posts
rcnutt,

Did you use 2 MM Depron? At 42 grams, with a 20" span, it shouldn't be too fast, and you can always reduce the throttle.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:01 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,966 Posts
Yes I used 2MM foam from RCFoam. I flew it today. The first flight wasn't good . It lasted about 3 seconds. It went sharply up and straight down onto the floor. I borrowed a straight pin to secure the motor because one side broke loose. I had put a little up tilt into the motor line which was a mistake and maybe a bit too much up angle in the leading edge of the wing, It did however fly very well at just about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. It flew like a trainer in as much as it would climb when I hit the throttle.There is plenty of power and I was able to loop it fairly easily. The flight was quite long also and it was quite quick in the turns When I glue the motor mount back in, I'll put in a little downthrust. That should help. Thanx for your interest. It was fun to build but tricky because I had no plans to go by, so I ran into several problems. But I do enjoy the challenge. RCNutt
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:01 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,159 Posts
rcnutt,

Good work! You diagnosed the problems and took proper corrective action. You are on your way as a designer.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,966 Posts
Thanx Jim, I've been playing with these toy airplanes for a lot of years so to keep it interesting I try new things. I started out building with mostly balsa wood. I have built a couple of airplanes out of carboard, many with coroplast and quite a few with foam sheets. The last 10 years or so I've been "scratch" building a lot with no plans and nothing but an idea. And I must say I learn something each time I build a plane whether it is a successful flying plane or not. There were many that weren't very good flyers and a few didn't fly at all! The neat thing is with the foam planes you're not out much if you trash it or you just don't like it well enough to use it. This is the first year that I have tried building indoor planes. I built them for a small gym that I have access to once a week. Of the five that I built, three are usable in the gym. The two flying wings I built weren't manuverable enough. I'm thinking I would like a little 3D plane for the gym built up of 1mm foam so I could have a semetrical wing. The only problem is that I don't have the radio equipment for four channels that is small enough. And I don't have a 2.4 mgz Tx except the one that came with the Proto Max heli. Is there any four channel systems out there that are fairly cheap? RCNutt