HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Discussion
Great old wooden yachts/WWI patrol craft

For those of you that like old wooden yachts, I found that many of them were used by the US navy in WWI for patrol duties. Check out Wikipedia for more photos and info, here's a couple pictures of Yachts built by the New York Yacht,Launch and Engine Co. that I had not seen before.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Here's a couple more. As I read thru the info on these yachts, it becomes clear that there where many, many companies making beautiful yachts in and around New York City. What fun it would be if we could travel back in time and spend a sunny afternoon, somewhere on a waterfront, watching all these beauties in there heyday.
Last edited by Predreadnut; Feb 28, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
Tim, I like your brand of nostalgia---.

These old yachts make some fine modeling subjects---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:56 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,811 Posts
alot of them were given a coat of grey paint,hull number and an old 1 or 3pdr gun (if the deck stucture could handle it) by law if your yatch was US documented the government could press it into service...
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
The writing on the picture in my first post is the amount of money that the government spent refurbishing the yacht before returning it to the owners. Man, Im as patriotic as the next guy, but I think I would shed a tear if the gov. took my yacht and made a patrol boat out of it, even worse if it was sunk.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:12 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith View Post
alot of them were given a coat of grey paint,hull number and an old 1 or 3pdr gun (if the deck stucture could handle it) by law if your yatch was US documented the government could press it into service...
Does that law still apply to modern day yacht owners? Not that I own a yacht, but I am curious.
xx29l9 is online now Find More Posts by xx29l9
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,811 Posts
most likely still on the books, but use of would be very unlikely.. you do get a few perks today , mainly if you leave US waters and enter foreign ports..
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:52 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut View Post
The writing on the picture in my first post is the amount of money that the government spent refurbishing the yacht before returning it to the owners. Man, Im as patriotic as the next guy, but I think I would shed a tear if the gov. took my yacht and made a patrol boat out of it, even worse if it was sunk.
This is a great thread!!! Some of the yachts were not returned to their owners in good shape!! More times than not they were pretty messed up if they weren't sitting on the bottom of the ocean. Many of those yachts were loaned to the gubment with beautiful intricate carvings and other possessions such as grand pianos & such & they were never seen again once they were returned...

-Rich.
RICH404 is offline Find More Posts by RICH404
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
107 Posts
Its hard to imagine in this age, the amount of hands on skilled time that was involved in building some of these yachts.
kitscratchfevr is offline Find More Posts by kitscratchfevr
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,748 Posts
Yachts, fishing boats, and various other water craft were drafted into government service in WWII as well. Lots of yachts and their owners joined the USCG Reserve (now the Auxiliary) during the war; some were given comissions in the Temporary Reserve (TR) - and were called the "Corsair Fleet". The novel ICE BROTHERS by USCG veteran Sloan Wilson, is a story about the former trawler ATLANTIC - renamed ARLUK in USCG service.

Some of the vessels used by the Corsair Fleet were:
GERTRUDE L. THEBAUD
Several menhaden fishing (bunker) boats: EM NORTHUMBERLAND; EM (WILLIAM S.) BRUSSTAR; EM POCHANTAS

Some were used for training Coasties or merchies:
Schooner ATLANTIC (1905 Kaiser's Cup winner) was used fo cadet training at the USCG Academy.
Tallship DANMARK was used for training at the USCG Academy between 1942 and 1945
JOSEPH CONRAD was used for traing between 1939 and 1942.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Last edited by CG Bob; Feb 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitscratchfevr View Post
Its hard to imagine in this age, the amount of hands on skilled time that was involved in building some of these yachts.
So very true. My daughter once asked me why I liked collecting antique 'junk' I pointed to a sofa with hand carved maple legs,armrests,back etc and said that it probably took a craftsman weeks to make that by hand, she was stunned. She could'nt imagine anyone working so long and hard on one couch....kids...
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
CG Bob and others, good info. Rich thanks.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut View Post
So very true. My daughter once asked me why I liked collecting antique 'junk' I pointed to a sofa with hand carved maple legs,armrests,back etc and said that it probably took a craftsman weeks to make that by hand, she was stunned. She could'nt imagine anyone working so long and hard on one couch....kids...
Or made to last.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal