HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Discussion
Power Supply for DC Brushless motor

Im doing a brushless spindle motor setup.
What power supply's are all of you using?
I need one thats around 24v 80a 1850w.I need some ideas.
Mrich0908 is offline Find More Posts by Mrich0908
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:36 AM
Austin,TX
Joined Jul 2009
240 Posts
You could convert two server power supplies and wire them together in series for 24v. there are several threads here on RCG dedicated to this topic, just make sure you understand the DANGERS involved first. I suggest spending substantial time reading here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005309

I bought a couple of the cheapest ones I could find ($20 each) just to tackle the learning curve. I didnt do the series thing yet as I was only interested in 12v at the time, but have been very pleased so far.

I have not done any extensive testing, but have test run some electric ducted fans with them. They seem to hold voltage well, around 12.6 volts under full load. They have overcurrent protection built in and shut down somewhere between 65 to 70 amps, giving you roughly 800 watts or so. (or 1600 watts at 24volt for two wired in series)

Overall, not a bad power supply for 20 bucks!

This is slightly less power than you ask for, but you can easily get larger supplies. I have one of the ones from the link as well that is supposed to deliver near 100 amps at 12v, but have done no testing at all with it. It was also a little more jingle, I think I paid $32 for it.

all of the photos relate to the 800 watt unit, I can provide details if needed, as I have done the figurin' on how to get it to fire up.
billcat is offline Find More Posts by billcat
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:42 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,266 Posts
I seriously doubt you'll be loading the spindle to 1800W. 1.5kW at the cutter takes a serious machine frame to support. Even if you think about you'll have to be very careful calculating you cutter loads to be sure you don't exceed the torque available, especially at speeds less than full.

I built a spindle with a big motor, Neu 1912, but I'm only going to power it with 500W or so. My machine won't handle any more than that for sure. I'm working on getting EMC2 to drive a regular ESC right now.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Thank you ,
I was going to buy 4 PC power supply's run 2 set in parallel and take those two sets and run them in series to get what im looking for.
This is new to me and Im really even unsure that can be done.
Thanks allot for the links, at t least now I have some stuff to read.

Greg,
Maybe not maybe so.
I guess well see. I realize this is allot of power. I would rather have it and be able to put it on a bigger machine then be limited in the future.
I dont own a router like most this is going on my CNC Mill .
I want a motor that will work have , I would like to do a 5 axis Cnc with turret table .
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:55 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,266 Posts
What size bearings do you have in your spindle?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,266 Posts
OK, I see you're replacing a motor in a minimill or similar. I'm doing something a bit different. The other reason it will not be possible to draw rated power is that you'll need to cool that motor. That's the main reason I chose a motor much larger than the anticipated load. I sometimes run programs for hours so I have to make sure it won't overheat.

Greg
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:44 AM
Austin,TX
Joined Jul 2009
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrich0908 View Post
I was going to buy 4 PC power supply's run 2 set in parallel and take those two sets and run them in series
Sounds like a bit of extra trouble in my opinion, more things to go wrong. Simplify!
I agree with Greg about your actual power requirements probably being much less. However, I really have little experience in this area.

I have attached a photo of the label of the other, larger, server power supply that I mentioned in my first post here. If you are set on getting your 1800 watts, two of these in series would fit the bill. I believe this is one of the actual referenced supplies in the "100 amp power supply" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
I'm working on getting EMC2 to drive a regular ESC right now.Greg
Greg....have you seen this? Yes...I know its for Mach 3, but I believe the end result is the same.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=143
billcat is offline Find More Posts by billcat
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:36 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,266 Posts
Yes, thanks. I do know about the Logic CNC part. I was hoping to do it within EMC2 as it already has the ability to output PWM. I did actually get it working, but the scaling is incorrect. It will do for now.

Greg
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Thanks for the help guys,
So Ive purchased two server PSU . Found a thread on converting them. Just waiting for them to come in the mail.
Ive also been fitting a set of Digital read outs on my mill.
Im in need of a esc now , Servo tester .
Im just a little unclear on this . How do I program the ESC and with what.\