HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:01 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
Discussion
New DIY GoPro 2 axis gimbal

Back when I was using a Sony Bloggie for my onboard video I had some reasonable success making my own gimbal for it.

After a recent crash incident with my new GoPro2 on an unprotected Jakub Gimbal and the damage that ensued. I decided I wanted to attempt to create a gimbal that kept the protective case intact.

Another requirement was a low profile mount that didn't require a 15" set of landing gear.

It quickly became apparent that the protective case itself would have to be part of the gimbal... so...

I just finished it and haven't had a chance to actually try it out yet so it may still be an EPIC fail...

Thoughts?
Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:06 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,758 Posts
Cool Paul, thats the trouble with the Jakub Gimbal, you have to take off the protective case. Im going to have to do something similar to what you have done for my intended filming of surfing.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
looks nice, i have been told that the micro servos are a little too weak to move around the gopro in the case.... which is why all the really small direct drive mounts have the naked gopro.....

i could be totally wrong......

lets see some video!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:40 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
640 Posts
Paul:

Looks great! Nice and simple! The only thing I would worry about is the amount of overhang of the camera from the mounting location and the possible "diving board" vibration that it may have. Hopefully this won't cause too many issues or jello!

Ross
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Cool Paul, thats the trouble with the Jakub Gimbal, you have to take off the protective case. Im going to have to do something similar to what you have done for my intended filming of surfing.
Yeah, hopefully something like this works. I've also purchased one of those layer lens protectors, that might be a suitable alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
looks nice, i have been told that the micro servos are a little too weak to move around the gopro in the case.... which is why all the really small direct drive mounts have the naked gopro.....

i could be totally wrong......

lets see some video!
Oh yikes, I didn't even think about the servos being to small, good point. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_badger View Post
Paul:

Looks great! Nice and simple! The only thing I would worry about is the amount of overhang of the camera from the mounting location and the possible "diving board" vibration that it may have. Hopefully this won't cause too many issues or jello!

Ross
That's my biggest fear right now as well. With that much overhang I worry about the vibrations/wobbles.

Thanks,
Paul
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:27 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
Adidas you may be correct about the sub micro servos not being strong enough for the weight of the go pro and case. If that manifests itself as jittery movement instead of smooth movement then that might be my problem.

I plugged the mount into my HFPro just to see it work and it did indeed work and move the camera around but the roll was REALLY jittery and the tilt was pretty good. So I swapped servos and still had the same problem. Then I hooked it up to my servo programmer/tester and it exhibited the exact same problem so that rules out the HFPro outputs.

If I unhook the link and try the servo it seems nice and smooth then so now I wonder if the jitters are the result of too much weight it's trying to move or maybe it's bad geometry on my design? I'm at a bit of a loss now...

I'll take a video tomorrow to show an example of what I'm referring too.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:32 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
how is it without the gopro in the case? just the case no camera. then maybe try camera but no battery....

that could tell you if the issue is weight.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:52 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
how is it without the gopro in the case? just the case no camera. then maybe try camera but no battery....

that could tell you if the issue is weight.
Yeah I tried that as well, the movement did seem better when there was no camera but still not as smooth as I would have liked.

I'm going to do some more testing...

Paul
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Jun 2010
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Yeah I tried that as well, the movement did seem better when there was no camera but still not as smooth as I would have liked.

I'm going to do some more testing...

Paul
The roll servo arm should be longer and the movements will be smoother
fort1952 is offline Find More Posts by fort1952
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:38 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,758 Posts
Paul I have been messing around a lot with this jakub mount over the last 2 weeks and the jitter issue I have I now believe is mostly related to my gimbal, linkages and servos. I have been able to reduce my jitter problem a decent amount but there is still that last bit that I cant get rid of. I still think a small part of my particular issue might be at the HFP end but its more a case of the HFP being tripped up by the weakness' at my end of things. Its pretty cool George is looking at this and trying to improve things though. Ive learned a lot in this thread, the mechanics of a gimbal need to be really good to give the FC a decent chance of giving a good result.

fort1952, with respect to the roll servo arm needing to be longer for smoother movements can you give me any insight in to why that is?. It will help me understand more of whats happening. Cheers
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Jun 2010
87 Posts
Quote:

fort1952, with respect to the roll servo arm needing to be longer for smoother movements can you give me any insight in to why that is?. It will help me understand more of whats happening. Cheers
There is a proverb that says, Give me a lever I will move the world.

Being longer, the servo takes less effort and movement is more gentle on the same route and have fewer contractions or sudden movements
fort1952 is offline Find More Posts by fort1952
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Feb 2006
725 Posts
You should reduce the roll arm lenght like giving a 1.5 - 1 gear relation. Roll servos mus take care of bigger inertia (cam +servo+frame). A push-pull linkage will help too. Fort1952 was right but the longer arm should be the linkage at the gimbal and not the one at the servo arm.
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:34 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
I think a lot of my problem was geometry. I had the Roll servo with same pivot point as the actual pivot point of the gimbal. The gimbal arm didn't extend very far so there wasn't much leverage for the servo. So I moved the servo out to the gimbal and extended the arm from the base plate, this allowed the arm from the servo to have much more leverage when rotating the gimbal although now the linkage is pretty short which I worry about.

Here are some photos of my temporary test reconfigure. I set the arm in some holes that were already drilled just for testing so the alignment looks bad but the test results were much better than the original setup. Still not silky smooth but far better than it was.

Paul
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:36 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort1952 View Post
The roll servo arm should be longer and the movements will be smoother
Good call, I gave the gimbal base a long arm and moved the servo out to the gimbal so there was more leverage for it and it's a lot smoother.
Last edited by AeroVideoUS; Mar 02, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:46 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Paul I have been messing around a lot with this jakub mount over the last 2 weeks and the jitter issue I have I now believe is mostly related to my gimbal, linkages and servos. I have been able to reduce my jitter problem a decent amount but there is still that last bit that I cant get rid of. I still think a small part of my particular issue might be at the HFP end but its more a case of the HFP being tripped up by the weakness' at my end of things. Its pretty cool George is looking at this and trying to improve things though. Ive learned a lot in this thread, the mechanics of a gimbal need to be really good to give the FC a decent chance of giving a good result.

I think moving the push/pull action further away from the rotation point gives the servo more leverage and makes it easier to move and smoother.

Do you have a servo programmer/tester? If so, I would try that hooked up to your gimbal as well. I'm not sure the rough movements are the HFPro boards fault as I got the same rough movements from my servo tester as well.

On a side note, when I had my Jakub gimbal in action it didn't look totally smooth on the bench either but when in the air for some reason the video looked better. Distances and platform movement maybe? Dunno... But you saw that video I posted on the other vibration thread and that was from my Jakub gimbal that wasn't totally smooth on the bench but looked okay in the air.

Paul