HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, IL, Libertyville
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Good, Flexible Brushless MiniMag Motor/Prop for Slo Flying?

Have a MiniMag RR on the way, and I want to convert it to brushless. But I don't want it to go faster than the stock 400, as my 11 yo son and I will be learning to fly on it.

The reason I want to go brushless is really because I'm cheap!! 'HUH?', you say? See, I want to buy 3-5 LiPos that will work well NOW, and later on, when I either put in a different motor to go faster, or maybe even find a motor that will fly nice & slow & long (and run cool) at maybe 50% throttle...maybe with a larger prop (8-10"), and then I could go to a smaller prop, turn up the throttle & have a fast plane (albeit with shorter flight times).

Maybe I'm asking too much, but hopefully not...and if I am, I'm OK dropping in a new motor for $15 vs. buying $50+ worth of new batts.

So can a get a good, brushless slo-fly setup (motor and prop size(s)) that uses 3c LiPos, without swinging a prop that's so big I can't land in grass?

BTW, I kind of need it to be a 22mm can, as I ordered the GoBrushless metal motor-mount...but I think 28 would work, at least if the bolt pattern is 19mm X 16mm. And I need it to be affortable...HobbyKing-type pricing ($10-16 for motor, $15-25 for ESC)

Thanks!
deandome is offline Find More Posts by deandome
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:42 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
The speed 400 the MiniMag comes with doesn't fly it very well at all.
I replaced it with a Esskay 400, which is about a 1000Kv, 40 gram outrunner with a 8x6 or 9x7 prop.
I used the stock plastic motor mount, by removing it carefully, cleaning the glue off and mounting the outrunner to the front of it and inserting it deeper onto the nose of the plane. I flew it with a 1500mah 3 cell lipo.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777