HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:32 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,872 Posts
Wish I could go this year
Man what a great place to fly and I could still bring my turbine and fly! Best of both worlds. Maybe next year...............
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:01 PM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
You know what they say about opinions...... I personally think there is room and interest for both
Good for you, what are you going to bring out for the speed event this September?
At least Curtis makes it interesting, and sets the tone for the serious competitors.
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:19 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,552 Posts
This is the premier edf event in the world and technology gets pushed by challenges like the speed event. I understand the appeal for oil streaks, rivets, and panel lines. Those details however can be had at several events such as Top Gun, Scale Masters, and the NATS. There is only one show that has an annual EDF speed event!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
Not Funny......
Joined Dec 2010
914 Posts
Quote:
This is the premier edf event in the world and technology gets pushed by challenges like the speed event. I understand the appeal for oil streaks, rivets, and panel lines. Those details however can be had at several events such as Top Gun, Scale Masters, and the NATS. There is only one show that has an annual EDF speed event!
Yep, is is "the premier EDF event" ........... However there is no participation by fully 1/2 the heavy hitters in the USA.......meaning those from West of the Rocky Mountains. So the diversity of competition in the much vaunted speed event is rather underwhelming in overall relevance wouldn't you say?
Only one show that has a speed event? Do you suppose that is because there is a general insufficiency of interest?
-Mike
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Yep, is is "the premier EDF event" ........... No participation by fully 1/2 the heavy hitters in the USA.......meaning those from West of the Rocky Mountains. So the diversity of competition in the much vaunted speed event is rather underwhelming in overall relevance wouldn't you say?
-Mike
Why haven't the other "heavy hitters" attended in the past?

Thx in advance
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:47 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,769 Posts
Quote:
Wish I could go this year
Bummer Kris,
was looking forward to seeing what you were bringing this year. Did leaving the boys home with the Mrs last year come back to bite you?

Quote:
Why haven't the other "heavy hitters" attended in the past?
Some have, but considering Mike is looking at around a 19 hour drive from the Eastern slope of the Rockies it kinda puts a damper on West Coast folks loading up the car and heading East to Ohio.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
There was a crease in the plan
Joined Jun 2010
1,332 Posts
Perhaps Mike will manage to squeeze a bit more out of the 10s Tazor ;-)
Steve Haynes is offline Find More Posts by Steve Haynes
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,872 Posts
Nope that was not it Dan.

The Republican National Convention (RNC) is here in Tampa this year. Their will be mass protests and riots here so I must work...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatond View Post
Bummer Kris,
was looking forward to seeing what you were bringing this year. Did leaving the boys home with the Mrs last year come back to bite you?

Some have, but considering Mike is looking at around a 19 hour drive from the Eastern slope of the Rockies it kinda puts a damper on West Coast folks loading up the car and heading East to Ohio.

Dan Eaton
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:14 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,552 Posts
Mike,
Personally I believe the speed challenge does carry a lot of interest for everyone that follows the evolution of edf's. The endless banter in previous years is evidence for the actual interest. As far as participation, it takes a combination of motivation tremendous building and piloting experience to be a serious competitor. Not many people have that combination of skills and $$$$. One day I'll get to play too.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:24 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,769 Posts
Quote:
I think Mike should hook up with Curtis and get the new improved version ot the Turbo Rockets Curtis has for his X-43. Now that would add some interest if Curtis is willing to share the technology.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:38 PM
Not Funny......
Joined Dec 2010
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Haynes View Post
It's over at the skunkworks right now
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:48 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,472 Posts
So far its 5 Canadians who will be @ the event. Nice to see all the friends again
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:11 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,905 Posts
Awesome Kevin, thanks! It's on the calendar, well more important, on the wife's calendar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbusa1400 View Post
Wow, can't wait for this event. Hopefully my scale entry will be done by then.
My buddy Rei Gonzalez just finished his entry. What a work of art. BVM F-4 twin EVF power.
Work of art is an understatement....that's awesome!!
strictlyscale is online now Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Oh come on jack! It is real either way so long as everyone plays by the same set of rules.
My point is simply that I would prefer to know what the fan/plane is capable of, a dive isn't really helping determine that IMO. Do they run NHRA down a hill, do they allow track and field events with too much wind, it's all the same no matter the sport or hobby, fair is fair, that's, my point. You can always do a dive and see what it has but for the official runs, flat and level please...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:46 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Personally I hope the "need for speed" part of the event continues to wither on the vine. As originally run it took up a fair amount of otherwise useful airtime for a "relatively" few participants.

Scale is, IMO, a much more interesting use of limited airtime. As well scale doesn't give rise to all the tiresome smack talk that has typically preceded the speed event.

Just saying........
E-Jets is a unique event and them doing an e-only jet event by itself is ballsy. I don't care if they run it before, during or after hours but I'm willing to bet it will be back, and it should as it's just as valid as any other aspect of the hobby...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter