HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:49 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
Question
Radian Pro and Spektrum DX7s?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried programming full house functions (camber, reflex, crow etc) with the Spektrum DX7s? Horizon Hobby have a programming sheet for the DX7, but this is an older radio and I can't seem to get it to function properly.

Can you help me please?
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:34 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Hi there, far as I know the DX7 is more a powered plane and heli Tx rather than a sailplane unit, you won't get crow out of it naturally.

All the best,
Steve.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:26 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,008 Posts
http://www.bladehelis.com/prodinfo/F..._DX7_setup.pdf
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, NJ, Berkeley Heights
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
The previous poster is incorrect.

I managed to have crow on my DX6i along with separate 1 step flaps (with elevator compensation mix) and a mix for ail to rudder (but no camber, reflex or full trailing edge control). You can find the programming on youtube--although it is admittedly a bit counterintuitive.

The DX7s has an additional channel as well as quite a few more program mixes than the dx6i. You'll definetly be able to do crow as well as, i beleive, some other features (reflex and camber). But with only 7 channels, it may not give you every single thing like full trailing edge (also would be nice if tx had sliders) but it should get you almost all the way there. I guess I'll find out; I just got a dx7s and I'll have to program my radian pro soon.
AeroHeadTW is offline Find More Posts by AeroHeadTW
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AeroHeadTW; Mar 12, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
It wasn't intuitive!

After a couple of hours of fiddling with my new DX7s--without success in getting crow working along with reflex and camber--I gave Horizon a call to get their thoughts on programming the DX7s for the Radian Pro. Coincidentally, someone there had just spent a couple of hours figuring out how to get the programming right (I don't feel so bad now that I know that it's a bit arcane even for a service tech).

Anyway, here is the program for the Radian Pro on DX7s--thanks Horizon!
I just had a thought; I think (although it's been 6 months) that I may have removed the y cable from my ailerons to get my PNP Radian Pro to work optimally with the DX6i--if this is so, perhaps this is why this mix is not working wiht my DX7s. It's too late to figure out tonight and tomorrow I'll be traveling--mabybe somebody here with a better handle on the ins and outs of programming can take a crack at diagnosing it?

Best,
AeroHeadTW
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AeroHeadTW; Mar 13, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
AeroHeadTW's Mix

Hi all,

I wasn't able to debug what was happening with the mix from Horizon I posted above; so I made my own:

AeroHeadTW’s Radian Pro Mix for the DX7s

I'm fairly new to gliders, so I’m sure you fellows out there can improve on my mix or perhaps someone can get the mix from Horizon running (perhaps it uses a 7 channel rx with flaps not on a Y-cable?).

AeroHeadTW Radian Setup
Rx is AR600
Right aileron is plugged into Ail on rx
Left aileron is plugged into Aux 1 on rx
Flaps on Y-Cable plugged into Gear on rx (setup this way on a 6 channel rx, I think you can't get full trailing edge with flaps following ailerons--but my mix for the ar600 does have reflex, camber, 2 x flaps and crow/spoiler.)

DX7s PROGRAMMING
Model Type: Acro
Wing: 2 ail, 1 flap (not 2 flap because of y cable)
Tail: normal

SERVO SETUP:
TRAVEL: I might still tweak a figure here for one of the servos . . .
Sub Trim: Left Ail 50+ (the arm on the left aileron servo was at a different angle than the right—yours will likely be different—I didn’t want to undo the servo tape or cut wing foam to get to the arm screw)

REVERSE: Right Ail, Elevator, Rudder, Flap, Left Aileron & Aux 2

D/R-EXPO:
Set for throws in manual (or quite a bit higher ; ) —activated by Rudd D/R switch)

FLAP SYSTEM:
. . . . . . . .Flap . Elev
Norm . . .0 . . . . 0
Mid . . . .50 . . . 11
Land . .100 . . . 22
Speed: 1.4s Switch: Flap

MIXING:
Ail > Rud Mix (I don’t use this much as I like hammerheads)
Right -40%, Left -40%, Switch: Mix 1

Mix 1 (Ailerons up for Crow)
Ail > Lal: 100%, 100%, Offset: -65%, Switch: Ele D/R

Mix 2 (Make R ail move during crow)
Ail > Ral: 125% (set to compensate for some asymmetry—yours will likely be different), 100%, Offset: 0, Switch: Ele D/R

Mix 3 (sets knob to control camber and reflex on ailerons)
Knb > Lal: -32%, -32%, Switch FM1

Mix 4 (sets knob to control camber and reflex on flaps)
Knb > Flp, 11%, 16%, Switch FM1

One big caveat; I haven't flow this mix yet, but it seems great on the ground.

I might need to add some elevator compensation to the reflex/camber knob.
soon.

-------
EDITS/UPDATE

I had a chance to fly the RP yesterday. It was a bit gusty so I couldn't tell if everything was fine tuned yet; but I did find that I needed to adjust my elevator compensation for flaps. Mid/50% flaps elev comp should be closer to 22% to avoid ballooning and full flaps maybe around 26% (I tried higher value but it really dove). Anyway, flights were good except that on a gusty landing I must have snagged a aileron servo arm on rhe ground and stripped the servo (left it with sort of half crow); I didn't really have much time to test the reflex and camber.

Best,
Tim

Horizon/Spektrum/Parkzone hopes to post an approved mix to DX7s Airware soon.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AeroHeadTW; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:23 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
^ good work AH, cheers for the mix work it's a bookmark starter for if anyone asks me.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Thanks. It was a fun puzzle in the end (with some grumbling, and worse, thrown in). The funny thing is I'm sure there are multiple ways to skin this cat.

Please note I found my elevator comp setting for flaps needed some tweaking--see above.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Selected FPV Flights
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Thanks for the mix list for the Radian pro you published on march 17; I am entering it right now on my DX7s for a radian pro.. : I would like to know how it worked out and if you did change anything since???
regards
marinaio is offline Find More Posts by marinaio
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:13 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
Subscribed.

I'd like to see a HH DX7S profile too.
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Thank you for your work

I have a Radian Pro and a JR9503 but there are no profiles on the net for that radio and I'm at a loss in trying to program it myself. Too complicated for a newbie so I went out and got a Dx7s because there is a lot more info out there for the Spektrums. But I found out that there is not much for the dx7s because of how new it is.

I programmed it with your settings and everything look's good.

I have not flown it yet but at least I'm way ahead of the game compared to the JR. Thank's again for your work. Horizon still has no file on their site for the Radian Pro
peiflyboy is offline Find More Posts by peiflyboy
Last edited by peiflyboy; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:59 PM
BC Canada
Joined Nov 2004
38 Posts
No success

I found a youtube made by an Australian guy...it was a detailed guide on how to set up the Radian using a DX7......I followed his instructions to the letter for over an hour but still couldnt get the plane to perform the crow function amongst others,...I reset everything then tried it all over again with the same results.....Finally gave it up and went to back to the basic functions....Oh well, I tried
Robster22 is offline Find More Posts by Robster22
Last edited by Robster22; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:58 PM
Australia, SA, Morphett Vale
Joined Oct 2004
1,459 Posts
Those instructions work for the DX7 but the DX7S is different . I followed those instructions for my 7 and worked fine but not on the 7s all the program menues are different
Desert flier is online now Find More Posts by Desert flier
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:03 AM
Germany, RP, Waldorf
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Hi there,

First off, sorry if my english is a bit bad. I am from germany and cant find any help on the local forums. =)

My dad recently bought a Radian Pro too. Now we are stuck with programing his DX7s to get all the functions (i think its called fullhouse) working. Its a bloody nightmare.

I tried the instructions as per AeroHeadTW above but this doesnt seem to work properly. The flaps are always a little down.

There is a great youtube video of how a dx8 was setup for the Radian with all of the functions working:

Radian Pro DX8 setup (1 min 31 sec)

I was just wondering if it is possible to setup the DX7s like this? And if yes, how? Sorry I am completly new to sail plains. My dad is experienced, but only on old Mhz systems with no flaps, ailerons, or programing. ;-)

Thanx in advance!!!

-Meik
mrmeik is offline Find More Posts by mrmeik
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:41 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroHeadTW View Post
Hi all,

I wasn't able to debug what was happening with the mix from Horizon I posted above; so I made my own:

AeroHeadTW’s Radian Pro Mix for the DX7s

I'm fairly new to gliders, so I’m sure you fellows out there can improve on my mix or perhaps someone can get the mix from Horizon running (perhaps it uses a 7 channel rx with flaps not on a Y-cable?).

AeroHeadTW Radian Setup
Rx is AR600
Right aileron is plugged into Ail on rx
Left aileron is plugged into Aux 1 on rx
Flaps on Y-Cable plugged into Gear on rx (setup this way on a 6 channel rx, I think you can't get full trailing edge with flaps following ailerons--but my mix for the ar600 does have reflex, camber, 2 x flaps and crow/spoiler.)

DX7s PROGRAMMING
Model Type: Acro
Wing: 2 ail, 1 flap (not 2 flap because of y cable)
Tail: normal

SERVO SETUP:
TRAVEL: I might still tweak a figure here for one of the servos . . .
Sub Trim: Left Ail 50+ (the arm on the left aileron servo was at a different angle than the right—yours will likely be different—I didn’t want to undo the servo tape or cut wing foam to get to the arm screw)

REVERSE: Right Ail, Elevator, Rudder, Flap, Left Aileron & Aux 2

D/R-EXPO:
Set for throws in manual (or quite a bit higher ; ) —activated by Rudd D/R switch)

FLAP SYSTEM:
. . . . . . . .Flap . Elev
Norm . . .0 . . . . 0
Mid . . . .50 . . . 11
Land . .100 . . . 22
Speed: 1.4s Switch: Flap

MIXING:
Ail > Rud Mix (I don’t use this much as I like hammerheads)
Right -40%, Left -40%, Switch: Mix 1

Mix 1 (Ailerons up for Crow)
Ail > Lal: 100%, 100%, Offset: -65%, Switch: Ele D/R

Mix 2 (Make R ail move during crow)
Ail > Ral: 125% (set to compensate for some asymmetry—yours will likely be different), 100%, Offset: 0, Switch: Ele D/R

Mix 3 (sets knob to control camber and reflex on ailerons)
Knb > Lal: -32%, -32%, Switch FM1

Mix 4 (sets knob to control camber and reflex on flaps)
Knb > Flp, 11%, 16%, Switch FM1

One big caveat; I haven't flow this mix yet, but it seems great on the ground.

I might need to add some elevator compensation to the reflex/camber knob.
soon.

-------
EDITS/UPDATE

I had a chance to fly the RP yesterday. It was a bit gusty so I couldn't tell if everything was fine tuned yet; but I did find that I needed to adjust my elevator compensation for flaps. Mid/50% flaps elev comp should be closer to 22% to avoid ballooning and full flaps maybe around 26% (I tried higher value but it really dove). Anyway, flights were good except that on a gusty landing I must have snagged a aileron servo arm on rhe ground and stripped the servo (left it with sort of half crow); I didn't really have much time to test the reflex and camber.

Best,
Tim

Horizon/Spektrum/Parkzone hopes to post an approved mix to DX7s Airware soon.
Just found this. I know it's old. If you are still out there, have you made any updates to this setup. I'm going to give it a try. thanks again. Wish Horizon would get on board with the DX7s or is noone flying sailplanes with the 7s (find that hard to believe!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7