HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:46 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
Discussion
Radio advice please

All of my gear is old heli stuff, looking for a new radio. So, What is the brand of choice for quad/hex/octo's? I don't want to spend a million bucks. I tried searching here but so may threads get returned and the info is just buried in there.

Any help with pro's and con's would be VERY much appreciated.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I'm rather partial to my DX7 but I've heard the Turnigy radios are nice too.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
the turnigy's are on permanent backorder, they won't be restocked again.. (except for the ones who ordered and payed them already)

from what i have heard (HK forums/rumors) there will be a new version in the near future.

i'm waiting for new the new version to come out, and i have ordered the hobbyking 6ch 2.4 tx/rx set for the time being. (it's nice and cheap and sufficient for a quad)
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcommando View Post
the turnigy's are on permanent backorder, they won't be restocked again.. (except for the ones who ordered and payed them already)

from what i have heard (HK forums/rumors) there will be a new version in the near future.

i'm waiting for new the new version to come out, and i have ordered the hobbyking 6ch 2.4 tx/rx set for the time being. (it's nice and cheap and sufficient for a quad)
Glad you shered want to get one. Now I'll wait for the new version too.
KnoqueTurnal is offline Find More Posts by KnoqueTurnal
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:

sauce plz
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:26 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,746 Posts
I would recommend getting something that is rf module based. You can pick up some quality second hand radios cheap then add a 2.4 module also if you want to get into long range fpv you can add a UHF module.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:44 AM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:

I don't think that is true. They are usually on permanent backorder because they are that popular. You just have to place your order and wait in line. My order took about two months. If you get one get the back light upgrade, and flash er9x. Awesome radio.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
I think it may be true. I tried to place one in the cart and it said that this item is no longer available on BK.
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I didn't see that. My bad. It does appear that something else is coming out shortly to replace it.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:15 AM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSum View Post
I think it may be true. I tried to place one in the cart and it said that this item is no longer available on BK.
I hope they don't screw up the ability for us to flash. The original firmware is only so-so.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Maybe they will update the processor to something more awesome and 32bit.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:08 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Maybe they will update the processor to something more awesome and 32bit.
That's crazy talk!!!!
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
The way this hobby is going anymore, nothing surprises me. When I first got into the hobby 20 years ago there was no way I could have foreseen the technical wonders we hold in our hands these days and complain about the prices
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:10 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
The way this hobby is going anymore, nothing surprises me. When I first got into the hobby 20 years ago there was no way I could have foreseen the technical wonders we hold in our hands these days and complain about the prices
AMEN TO THAT!

when i started i bought my first analog robbe 2 ch TX/RX for double the money as you can buy a fancy 12ch 2.4 computer rx....

my first true powerfull esc costs more than my high class rc car, it could handle a whopping 40A and had a brake function. it was big and bulky..
nowadays a fully programmable 40 amp esc (with bec.. off course ) costs less than a cheap crappy motor back in the days..

i was surprised by the high prices back in the days.. now i'm surprised by the low prices.. and whopping specs
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Can you post a link to this? I wanna check out some rumorsThx
KnoqueTurnal is offline Find More Posts by KnoqueTurnal