HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,070 Posts
Rant
How many 3 MM motor shafts have you .....

BENT in the last year?

Is it just me, or is steel just weaker than it used to be?

Hasn't even been a year for me, got back into RC last june, since then I know I've bent at least 12 to 15 shafts

Much of this is my fault and I admit it, but even minor prop strikes with and without prop-savers have taken out shafts and bearings.

When I first started I ripped apart 5 old cdrom drives and got the 3 mm shafts out of them, I've used all that raw material up.

Murphy's law also states "Anytime you stick a brand-new store bought repo shaft in a motor, it will get banged within the first 3 flights"

So, perhaps, some quality SS 3mm shaft material might be the solution. Might help with the bending shaft syndrome, but of course, the motor bearings will still get dinged with prop hits.

Oh well... you always need something to repair when your in this hobby

Signed:

A little BENT in B.G.

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:19 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
992 Posts
Stainless is a fairly soft material. If you wan some good shafts, contact Grainger, or any of the online machine tool supply stores, and order Dowel pins or rods, and cut your own shafts to length. Actually pretty cheap. and yes they sell metric sizes BTW Bill what are you crashing into. Been flying Electrics for 2 years now, and no bent shafts HHHMMMMMM
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:20 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,260 Posts
If you're running motors like the classic TowerPro bells with the threaded shafts, that's your problem right there. I'm surprised they don't bend under their own weight.

Pretty much anything is better than those. The CD-ROM rails are the best... Has anyone tried to find a wholesale source for those?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:36 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,314 Posts
Our local Goodwill store used to have a computer department. Bought a few used CD rom drives for $3.00 - $5.00 each and took them apart to salvage the rails and small screws. Some had two metal rails, some had only one. Still have a handfull of rails left.

If you have a Goodwill, Salvation Army, or local charity resale shop around you, check it out occasionally to see what they have sitting on the shelf.
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,070 Posts
Mr. Foam I fly a lot, and I'm still a bit of a Newby, so all my "landings" aren't the best Yep drill rod blanks or something of that sort from an industrial supply house may be in order.

Cho, yep some of my early motors had the long threaded shafts, sneeze on those and they get bent...

Pete Goodwill is a good idea, but I think our local ones have stopped taking in old PC's. Jeez I can remember when 4X cdrom drive went for over 100 bucks or more, technology is crazy stuff.....check out this 1996 Best Buy ad.

Hard to believe!!!

Bill
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
You can extend the life of the spaghetti shaft CD rom motors by cutting the shaft and using a collet fit up against the bell.

Better yet just avoid them.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:32 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
None.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:02 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge View Post
Mr. Foam I fly a lot, and I'm still a bit of a Newby, so all my "landings" aren't the best Yep drill rod blanks or something of that sort from an industrial supply house may be in order.

Cho, yep some of my early motors had the long threaded shafts, sneeze on those and they get bent...

Pete Goodwill is a good idea, but I think our local ones have stopped taking in old PC's. Jeez I can remember when 4X cdrom drive went for over 100 bucks or more, technology is crazy stuff.....check out this 1996 Best Buy ad.

Hard to believe!!!

Bill
$130 for a 16 Mb stick of RAM. lol I remember those days. I paid $100 for a 28.8 modem just like in that add and had unlimited internet from a local provider... good times.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:06 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
You may want to consider buying better quality motors. I think it would be cheaper for you in the long run.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,070 Posts
Bart, that collet tip is a good one, I'll give it a try.

Andy w.---- None Eh? I am talking electric powered aircraft not rubber Andy, sounds like your a little too skilled for this hobby. My theory is, "If you don't break something every once in a while when flying, you don't enjoy the good times nearly as much!"

FMW, yep I am buying a better quality motors, I even have one now with a 4mm shaft I've tried real hard to bend that one, but haven't had any luck yet!!

Bill
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:18 PM
oic
Oh!... I see!
United States, VA, Wise
Joined Dec 2011
146 Posts
cd rom parts??? who needs cdroms? I throw away more computers than you can shake a stick at! Maybe I need to start selling cdroms...
oic is offline Find More Posts by oic
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:43 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,193 Posts
At least, I do hope you recycle all those computers rather than putting 'em in a landfill. http://ww3.pcdisposal.com/lnd/computer-recycling2.php

Cheers, Phil [aka Adjunct Instructor of Enironmental Studies, Chattanooga State].
Dr Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:50 PM
oic
Oh!... I see!
United States, VA, Wise
Joined Dec 2011
146 Posts
We do take them to the "recycle" center. Have no idea where they go from there.
oic is offline Find More Posts by oic