HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:46 PM
CT
Joined Sep 2008
71 Posts
Cool
New! MaxAmps.com LiPo Battery Tester and Low Voltage Alarm

Spokane, WA MaxAmps.com is pleased is introduce the smallest and lightest Low Voltage Alarm on the market. Prolong your battery life by not allowing the voltage on your LiPo pack to drop too low. This unit plugs directly into the JST-XH style balancing tap on your battery pack during discharge and notifies you when to stop running the pack. It can also be used to check the status of your battery at any time. This Low Voltage Alarm (LVA) measures 40mm x 25mm x 11mm and weighs only 5 grams. Do NOT leave the unit plugged into your pack while not in use.

Can be used for a LiPo 3.7v (1-cell pack) up to a 29.6v (8-cell pack).
Voltage detection precision of 0.01v
Red LED will flash when a cell drops below programmed voltage setting (default is 3.3 volts but this can easily be changed to your preference).
A loud audible alarm will also sound when a cell drops below programmed voltage setting. This is your indication to stop your vehicle in order to prevent over-discharging your LiPo battery pack.
Unplug your battery pack from the speed control (ESC) and unplug the LVA from the battery pack.
brandonwilcox is offline Find More Posts by brandonwilcox
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:40 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,595 Posts
This is a great device, I have one and love it. However the MaxAmps price of $19.99 is very high. They can be had for as low as $5.00 plus shipping from several sources.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:51 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,251 Posts
Yep.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-8S-Lipo-Bat...item41630c4c41

I got two of those, they work great and are really loud.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Feb 2012
15 Posts
do you know how to hook this up or what to hookit to thanks
8S Lipo Battery Tester Checker Low Voltage Buzzer Alarm
robin7278 is offline Find More Posts by robin7278
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:37 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin7278 View Post
do you know how to hook this up or what to hookit to thanks
8S Lipo Battery Tester Checker Low Voltage Buzzer Alarm
It connects to the balance connector of any two to 8 cell LiPo. It won't work with Thunder Power batteries because the Thunder Power pin spacing is to narrow.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old May 14, 2012, 01:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
51 Posts
One question: on the lipo checker/alarm, how can i set the voltage for the alarm?

I see the button, and have tried pressing it in different ways, but i must not be doing it right.

Belinda
Kittyhobby is offline Find More Posts by Kittyhobby
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 14, 2012, 02:13 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,278 Posts
Plug the alarm in and just tap the button. Every time you tap it it will move through OFF, 2.7, 2.8.....3.8V in 0.1V steps. Stop when you reach the alarm voltage you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyhobby View Post
One question: on the lipo checker/alarm, how can i set the voltage for the alarm?

I see the button, and have tried pressing it in different ways, but i must not be doing it right.

Belinda
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 14, 2012, 01:16 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
If you do not require the meter reading there are two versions available from hobbyking at less than 2.00 each. One is for two and three cell batteries and one for two to four cell batteries.

Mine are on order so I do not know if the warning voltage setpoint can be altered. They also have leds on board as well. Quiite loud it is reported of the audiable warning. Stil far better than nothing or guessing I believe.

Just checked their site. Warning point is 3.3v for any cell and this means it is not adjustable on that one at least. They are listed under battery accessories.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Last edited by barry wilson; May 14, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:34 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,278 Posts
Barry, that is why the alarm featured in this thread is so attractive.

It is adjustable and very easy to set. (It is also very loud)

IMO 3.3V is too low these days for LiPo cut off. Particularly if you aren't drawing high C rate, then a modern battery with a very flat discharge curve is totally exhausted by the time it reaches 3.3V.

Just be aware that some of the $2 alarms are not very accurate, this one seems pretty good.

You can never be sure with small Chinese electronics which seem to get copied all over the place but the ones I bought for $3.50 including the postage from HK seem identical and work perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-8S-Lipo...ht_2467wt_1141

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry wilson View Post
If you do not require the meter reading there are two versions available from hobbyking at less than 2.00 each. One is for two and three cell batteries and one for two to four cell batteries.

Mine are on order so I do not know if the warning voltage setpoint can be altered. They also have leds on board as well. Quiite loud it is reported of the audiable warning. Stil far better than nothing or guessing I believe.

Just checked their site. Warning point is 3.3v for any cell and this means it is not adjustable on that one at least. They are listed under battery accessories.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 14, 2012, 10:56 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Barry, that is why the alarm featured in this thread is so attractive.

It is adjustable and very easy to set. (It is also very loud)

IMO 3.3V is too low these days for LiPo cut off. Particularly if you aren't drawing high C rate, then a modern battery with a very flat discharge curve is totally exhausted by the time it reaches 3.3V.

Just be aware that some of the $2 alarms are not very accurate, this one seems pretty good.

You can never be sure with small Chinese electronics which seem to get copied all over the place but the ones I bought for $3.50 including the postage from HK seem identical and work perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-8S-Lipo...ht_2467wt_1141

John
Thanks for the source information. I and a few others will probably order one. well me for certain anyways. The price is right I see as well.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson