HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:49 PM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,037 Posts
Thanks Doc, I knew about the 81s but didn't realized that applied to the 82s as well,
I thought they were a much newer addition, so I assumed some of the bugs had been worked out. I had 65s in the Sebart ( metal in the tail and HB on ailerons) so I will probably reuse them. That digital Heli tail servo is still tempting.
Alex
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:06 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell View Post
I had 65s in the Sebart ( metal in the tail and HB on ailerons) so I will probably reuse them.
Please con't use HB servos. Always use metal gears. Several EXPs have been lost because of non-metal gears failing.

You can send those servos back to Hi Tec and they can service them and put in metal gears. They have never charged me for anything more than the cost of the gears, and even that is usually cheaper than buying the gears at a LHS.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:13 PM
Extreme Flight Addict!!!
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2008
268 Posts
Well ordered a laser to add to my fleet. That's gonna make 3 new Ef exps ready to maiden as soon as the snow is gone. Gonna be a fun day. Might be 4 if I can get my hands on one of those 48 yaks !!!!
HELLFIRE989 is offline Find More Posts by HELLFIRE989
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:20 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLFIRE989 View Post
Well ordered a laser to add to my fleet. That's gonna make 3 new Ef exps ready to maiden as soon as the snow is gone. Gonna be a fun day. Might be 4 if I can get my hands on one of those 48 yaks !!!!
You're a mad man. I like you already!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:42 PM
Extreme Flight Addict!!!
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2008
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
You're a mad man. I like you already!
It's only the begining Doc!!! EF just makes such damn good planes that I can't help myself!!! I'll be getting a lot more that's for sure!!! Especially that bad ass 78" MXS!!!!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:44 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,627 Posts
Quote:
It's only the begining Doc!!! EF just makes such damn good planes that I can't help myself!!! I'll be getting a lot more that's for sure!!! Especially that bad ads 78" MXS!!!!!!
Have you got a 48" Extra yet?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:02 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell View Post
I just got a Laser to replace my Sebart Katana 30e that I lost last week.
I was wondering about servos I see some going to Hitec 85mg ones for elevator and wondered why no-one seems to use the Hitec 82mg as it is a little closer to the specified 65s. Also I have one of these, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...06sec_21g.html I might try, would this be overkill? I'm just worried there might be a trade off in resolution to get this to be so quick. The most important thing for me I think on elevator would be consistent centering. Any thoughts?
Alex
Well the EXPs will turn that sad face into a for sure
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:17 PM
Extreme Flight Addict!!!
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2008
268 Posts
Quote:
Have you got a 48" Extra yet?
Yup I have a nice shiny red one waiting for maiden!!!!! Can't wait!!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:16 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,627 Posts
Quote:
Yup I have a nice shiny red one waiting for maiden!!!!! Can't wait!!
You got all the decals on you Laser yet?
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:00 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,627 Posts
The reason I ask is because a lot of lasers we see on the this thread don't have all the decals on them. I flew my first one without them until Ken Elder put them on for me, and after that I just sucked it up and learned how to do it myself.

Personally I was not afraid of doing a little work to get the plane right. I was afraid I was going to screw it up. If you are just leery of doing a poor job, believe me, it's not that hard when you have the right tools.

The real hard work is in cutting the decals out, but you can short cut that whole process and upgrade to nicer vinyl with a Laser 200 Graphics Package from B & E Graphics, which is what I did. Considering that you just spent a bit over $400 for the plane, power system, and servos, a few more dollars to make the thing look like a killer is money you will never miss, or at least you'll be happy that you spent it.

I mailed my decal set to B and E, and Eric had the graphics package in my hands in a little over a week, which is pretty good considering that he had to scan the thing, lay it out, get it sized properly, printed, cut and mailed.

From there I just peeled and stuck, and it wasn't so bad. It was just a matter of having built so many planes that I have a bit of an eye for getting things straight. The process I used was tacking one of the stripe end down with a little pressure and then moving the othe end to where it looked right and then laying it down. OK, that was the hard way, but it worked.

The easy way was to use Rapic Tac decal application fluid. For my next laser I got a bottle from my local graphics store (though B and E has it too), and this made the whole process much, much easier. You just spay the plane and back of the decal, and then slide it into position. The important part here is that the application fluid won't let the decal stick until you push the decal down and force it out. This is especially helpful because now you tack one end of the stripe down and then slide the other one where you want it to go. When you are happy it's straight and positioned right, then, squeegie out whatever fluid and bubbles are left.

With B and E's air release vinyl, bubbles are a thing of the past. In fact, I had one bubble I was a little worried about, but by the time I turned around to pick up my Xacto knife, it had worked it's own way out.

Once you have the squeegie part done, you can wipe off the excess application fluid and the decal is basically in place forever. You can move on to the next stripe without worrying about knocking the others askew.

Blog subscribers already know about this from reading The MISC Report.

I've put a bit of time and thought into decals lately, simply because my Laser came out so nice. This is a very important plane for me because I have wanted one since 1980 when Leo won the championship with his Laser. This is a scale airplane and I think it really needs to be done up right (though I am also an admirer of Aerosheldon's variant). If you fly it without the decals, I really do think you are missing out on the entire Laser exprerience.

Of course, it's your plane, so decal or don't depending on your heart's desire. Just please don't be afraid to decal it up like on the box because with application fluid it is not that hard of a job. The B and E package also cuts about 90% of the work out too.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:11 AM
Extreme Flight Addict!!!
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2008
268 Posts
Quote:
You got all the decals on you Laser yet?
I just ordered the laser last night. I will be getting B&E to make me a scale Budweiser scheme. I also will be getting him to make some up for my 48 extra and yak when it is available. I've got B&E decals on my 64" Mxs as well. Guess you can say I'm kinda a decal whore LOL!! Just gotta have sharp looking planes!!@ Gotta take pride in your ride!!!!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:13 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
decal police. lol.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:14 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,627 Posts
Decal wars!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:22 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
Once you have the squeegie part done, you can wipe off the excess application fluid and the decal is basically in place forever. You can move on to the next stripe without worrying about knocking the others askew.

HEHEH He said "askew"
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:28 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,627 Posts
Quote:
I just ordered the laser last night. I will be getting B&E to make me a scale Budweiser scheme.
I am currently negotiating with Budweiser to fly my Laser at the Bud brewery in Tampa and shoot a video with the Bud Light trucks in the background. I'll have to get Eric to print me up some Bud Light decals. If I can pull this off it will be pretty cool. I'm just waiting to hear from the distributor and eventually I will talk to the right person who will say either yea or nay.

I wanted to do it at Busch Gardens, but Busch no longer owns it and the corporation that does (Sea World) is afraid of a mega million dollar lawsuit. To me it's a bit sad that in today's ridiculous litigeous enviornment thst AMA's 2.5 million dollar insurance is not enough for me to fly a toy airplane on the Serengeti plains surrounded by nothing but Giraffes and hyenas.

Quote:
I also will be getting him to make some up for my 48 extra and yak when it is available. I've got B&E decals on my 64" Mxs as well.
Check my blog article for tip on decal application.

Quote:
Guess you can say I'm kinda a decal whore LOL!!
Everyone has gotta have a hobby!

Quote:
Gotta take pride in your ride!!!!
No kidding! Also, I know the Boss pours his soul into making these the best built, best flying, best looking planes out there. Talking to him I get the impression that he cares more about people flying the crap out of his planes and enjoying them than he even does about making money off it. He never talks about money, but when you say you are having a blast flying his planes, he really lights up. I think it means a lot to him that we take pride in flying his creations.

Laser EXP__Uncut (5 min 9 sec)
Last edited by Doc Austin; Feb 06, 2013 at 11:37 AM.