HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:09 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
Hone1er is the best pilot here, take his advice.
He may be the best flyer but does Hone1er even have a Laser? (This being the Laser thread last time I checked). I also have less mix % on my Edge EXP, but why would anyone take set up advise based on an Edge in preference to the set up advise based on experience of the actual plane in question? Different planes have slightly different charecteristics and so often require different set up, even when the planes come from the same manufacturer.

I do slightly resent the implication that I dont know how to set up a mix. I dont think you need to be an expert flyer to know what mixes a plane needs, in fact you could argue the opposite. As an average flyer I need all the help I can get so I always take time to dial in the mixes as accurate as I can. For those with more skill perhaps they can fly round it and tht's fine if that's how you like it.

I dont see having a bit of mix as a negative thing, the Laser is superb in KE, it's one of it's strengths.

Steve

PS.. Hone1er.. not having a go at you in any way here, your post based of your experience of other models was very interesting.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:16 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,096 Posts
Yeah,
13% mix indicates either a bad CG. When I say Wonky EXP, I mean you did something wrong in the build process or you have some warped wings or ailerons.
90% sure your CG is off.
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:28 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Yeah,
13% mix indicates either a bad CG. When I say Wonky EXP, I mean you did something wrong in the build process or you have some warped wings or ailerons.
90% sure your CG is off.
CG doent have much in any effect on the rudder to aileron mix in my experience (it has lots of effect on the rudder to elevator but that's a different issue).

The % of mix is much effected by how much control throw you have set in the firstplace and also I think how you have achieved that throw, be it long servo arms, increased end points etc.

For instance if flyer A has 80 degrees of elevator travel (dialed down with rates) and flyer B has 40 degrees (dialed up with increased endpoints on rates). Then flyer B will need twice the % of rudder to elevator mix compared to flyer A in order to achieve the exact same control surface deflection

So just going by % is pretty much meaningless.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:39 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,096 Posts
Interesting and enlightening info. Also, I just noticed that you said 13% mix on a Slick, not EXP. I know nothing of a Slick.
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:46 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,172 Posts
It wasnt me that mentioned the Slick, though i do have one (51"). I honestly cant recall what % I have on my Slick but I dont think it's very much.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:07 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
actually last time out i realised that laser looks sooooo much like slick... take off canopy, a tad different cowl, a bit more oval instead of round fuselage and would turn out nearly slick.... cant wait for next non-windy day to fly laser more... last time took my time and started mixing KE.... and it took whooping 13% rudder to aeleron...???
Quote:
Something is very wrong with your set up if you needed 13% mix!!

most of us fly with zero mix, and this plane shouldn't need any more than one or 2%.. I would dial in the CG,and start again. I've been working on the KE snake(almost perfect!), and I have zero mix.

There was a guy in here, that needed 8% in one direction. that would be due to a bent(or tweaked) plane.

Biplanes usually have around 8- 11%+, And they seem to be the worst with mixing Due to the drag of the upper wing, But a symmetrical plane like the laser. should never need more than one or 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Yeah,
90% sure your CG is off.
Point.., And yes we're talking EXP's

Don't you just Love when you're trying to help a guy with his setup, and some other guy with a bad set up gets insulted, and Insists he's correct? This ladies and gentlemen is why you see all the best pilots shying away from these threads. No one wants to spend their valuable time arguing over someone's hurt feelings, when they're just trying to pass on some helpful information.

The one thing I can tell you for sure is that all of my EXP's fly straight as an arrow with zero mix, when I do mix one its never more than 2%.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Feb 04, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:22 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,313 Posts
Quote:
Don't you just Love when you're trying to help a guy with his setup, and some other guy with a bad set up gets insulted, and Insists he's correct?
It's clearly a thrust issue.

Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:23 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,355 Posts
I would just slam a bunch of washers under the motor mount..
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Feb 04, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:54 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Well, i have no problem keeping ke on laser, slick or edge mix free... I just played so just by keeping rudder i could ke 100m without falling out... And did not finish it... I was just surprised (as i mentioned after maiden) that laser is only ef plane wich i feel the need of mixing....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:05 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,355 Posts
Quote:
Well, i have no problem keeping ke on laser, slick or edge mix free... I just played so just by keeping rudder i could ke 100m without falling out... And did not finish it... I was just surprised (as i mentioned after maiden) that laser is only ef plane wich i feel the need of mixing....
As long as it works for you. It's just Interesting that you're having that problem with only one of your EXP's?. In general, It Doesn't seem to be a issue, I know I've seen the pro pilots talk about very low numbers with their mixing also. like dead mentioned, maybe something "tweaked" I would take a closer look at the airframe.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:27 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,172 Posts
Quote:
Don't you just Love when you're trying to help a guy with his setup, and some other guy with a bad set up gets insulted, and Insists he's correct?
Ducati Mechanic is right, anyone with differing views is wrong... I get it
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:22 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,313 Posts
Don't remember anything about this footage. Completely uncut it's the exact length of an old favorite song, so I put it all together for our UTube viewers.

Laser EXP__Uncut (5 min 9 sec)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:10 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Quote:
actually last time out i realised that laser looks sooooo much like slick... take off canopy, a tad different cowl, a bit more oval instead of round fuselage and would turn out nearly slick.... cant wait for next non-windy day to fly laser more... last time took my time and started mixing KE.... and it took whooping 13% rudder to aeleron...???
Hey Rim, what kind of trim are you running for upright, level flight on your laser? Are both ailerons straigt and not warped? Also are you running a flight pack or big esc one one side of the plane or more in the middle. ( these questions aside, I got no qualms with mixes, if it makes the plane fly like you want, mix the beeitch. ) But, sometimes you can tweak the airframe to lessen the need to with cg, lateral balance, general adjustments. These tweaks and adjustments are part of the hobby that I love. You know scale pilots change the trim on their planes for load, and general flight also sometimes on each flight. No reason we shlnt have to cha ge trim or even mixes sometimes. Just part of the fun.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:17 PM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,043 Posts
New to EXPs

I just got a Laser to replace my Sebart Katana 30e that I lost last week.
I was wondering about servos I see some going to Hitec 85mg ones for elevator and wondered why no-one seems to use the Hitec 82mg as it is a little closer to the specified 65s. Also I have one of these, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...06sec_21g.html I might try, would this be overkill? I'm just worried there might be a trade off in resolution to get this to be so quick. The most important thing for me I think on elevator would be consistent centering. Any thoughts?
Alex
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:37 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell View Post
I just got a Laser to replace my Sebart Katana 30e that I lost last week.
I was wondering about servos I see some going to Hitec 85mg ones for elevator and wondered why no-one seems to use the Hitec 82mg as it is a little closer to the specified 65s.
Sorry to hear about your Katana, but airframe technology has come so fdar since that plane that you will be shocked at how good the Laser really is.

The 81s and 82s have a bad reputation for poor centering and reliability. The HS85MGs have enough torque, center fine and are nearly bullet proof.

However, the plane is set up for HS65MGs, and as long as you run an Airboss 45 ESC or a 6 volt bec, those will be fine.

Quote:
The most important thing for me I think on elevator would be consistent centering.
That, and reliability. I like the 85s for that, but again the plain old HS65MG is fine. I ran those all the way around on my first Laser.