Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:43 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
48" goodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
looks great.

I finally have mine ready again after losing a rudder servo mid harrier and flying into a tree. planning to fly it in the morning before the snow.
Whaaaat! In addition to the 64" MXS you have a 48" Laser too? Get outta here!

I suppose it's time to get my 48" MXS that you advised me not to sell put together.
Trill is online now Find More Posts by Trill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:04 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Most locked in plane you've flown for harrier Sheldon?
No that would be the 104" Slick, with the 88" EF Edge second. But this is as good as my 48" EF Edge was in my opinion. But I did not fly them back to back and I am a better pilot now.

More pics of yesterday!!

aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:34 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,226 Posts
Nice pics. The more i see the Laser the more i like it. I wasn't to into the look at first but it has definitely grown on me.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:47 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Nice pics. The more i see the Laser the more i like it. I wasn't to into the look at first but it has definitely grown on me.
Did you put all the decals on yours? I've flown the plane with and without, and it's 100 times better all decked out. That, and this is a scale scheme. It is modelled after areobatic champion Leo Loudenslager's airshow plane, so you want the thing to be as close to right as you can get it (though Aerosheldon's varient looks awesome too).

The secret is using a good decal application fluid and floating the decals on. If you just try to peel and stick them you'll make a mess out of it. I had given up on kit decals all together until I learned about using Rapid Tac application fluid.

Another option is to get the Vinyl Laser decal package from B & E Graphics. I've got that on both of my Lasers and it looks great. I did the first one dry and it was a giant PITA. On the second Laser I used Rapid Tac Decal Application fluid, and it was much easier and came out better too. These decals come pre-cut, so you just peel, spay with rapid Tac and stick them down, then squeegie out the fluid.

You might want to check my blog articles about applying decals and application fluid.

Scroll down to the decal part of the report..,.....http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...sc-report.html
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:34 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
The laser is my only plane with decals
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:24 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,104 Posts
I usually fly them for a bit before i add decals. I sucks less if you crash/damage the plane.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:33 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,164 Posts
Chicken.
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:16 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,807 Posts
Todays laser cut and jig assembled planes are usually so straight that maiden flights are no problem, outside of new plane anxiety. My last three Extra EXPs took no trim or mixes or CG adjustments. I just flew them and they were perfect right out of the box.

Of course, the first time this happened I sat down and couldn't believe it. No trim, no mixing, and no changes of any kind. It was perfectly dialed in front the word go. It was actually a little unsettling because everything had been so easy and the results were so perfect. Assuredly some of this was because I had built a few and knew how to get them right, but really, that would have been impossible for the average builder like me to achieve without starting with a perfect product.

Sadly, this is taken a bit for granted because most of today's modellers don't know anything different. Today's stuff is so damm good. It makes 10 years ago truely look like the dark ages. 30 years ago simply looks Jurrassic.

There is one reason, however, to wait a bit on the decals, and that's because in the Florida sun the covering will loosen up a bit the first few times out. Since I have started building in the garage instead of the air conditioning, the covering gets a bit more acclimated before I put the decals on, so even that's not much of a problem any more.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:09 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Chicken.
The reason I don't put decals on the planes is because I think I will crash them as soon as I do.

Doc remember the magnetic boards? Those owners were the special ones. I was left to the foam board and pin crosses.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:11 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,807 Posts
Quote:
Doc remember the magnetic boards? Those owners were the special ones. I was left to the foam board and pin crosses.
No, but that might have been during my hippie years.

Oh, wait............
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:17 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799760

It was similar to this. Great for building wings
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:27 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Oh hi
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:28 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,164 Posts
Quote:
The reason I don't put decals on the planes is because I think I will crash them as soon as I do.

hehe i was picking on Oz because he knows i do the exact same thing roflmao.

I have had planes go up with very little trim and some need some. Took me about 20 flights to even like my msx lol. Once i learned it i dont want to be without it..
ever. My edge and me got along from the get go..perfect from maiden.
AHH rain is here.. enter the weather.
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:45 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Took me about 20 flights to even like my msx lol.
All you needed was me in your ear saying "hammer that b*tch!" Then you were fine.

About halfway through the day Manta's MXS comes across the full length of the field at full speed with just the wheel pants sticking up out of the high grass. It took an hour to clean all the chopped up grass and weed goo off of it! From that point on, he flew it like he had 10 backups.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:46 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,807 Posts
Quote:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799760

It was similar to this. Great for building wings
Oh, yeah, that was during my purple haze years.