HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:47 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
If you want stupid power a 3615 625 kV, 13x7, and 5s is the ticket.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:42 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
The Brown truck just backed down the drive and left one of these on the porch ! My first E.F bird and it looks good . I have been looking over this thread for the last couple of days and wondering whats the magic motor/battery combo ?
Since you haven't had the plane that long, call Extreme Flight, and tell them you did not know about the power system combo and maybe they will honor the combo price.

In the combo, the plane with Torque 2814 motor and Airboss 45 ESC is $299.99. If you subrtact the $179.99 price of the airframe, that means the power system will cost you $120, which a pretty good deal on the system this plane was designed to use.

My Laser is an absolute rocket with the Torque and Airboss. Lots of blistering speed and gut busting low speed punch.

Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:11 PM
ChangeBegins AtTheDinnerTable
Raleigh , N.C.
Joined Jun 2006
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Since you haven't had the plane that long, call Extreme Flight, and tell them you did not know about the power system combo and maybe they will honor the combo price.

In the combo, the plane with Torque 2814 motor and Airboss 45 ESC is $299.99. If you subrtact the $179.99 price of the airframe, that means the power system will cost you $120, which a pretty good deal on the system this plane was designed to use.

My Laser is an absolute rocket with the Torque and Airboss. Lots of blistering speed and gut busting low speed punch.

Wish I could do that . Its "new /used " bought it from someone who never took it out of the box . I do have a Scorpion 3020 780kv that needs a home ??
killowatt is offline Find More Posts by killowatt
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:56 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
Any word on a release date for the 60" Laser?
i second that...have a power system dying to go into this size plane and am trying to decide which one
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:44 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
i second that...have a power system dying to go into this size plane and am trying to decide which one
I think everyone needs a 60" MXS either way, so do it now. I know the Laser is going to be really good, but the MXS is, so far, the best plane ever.

Quote:
Wish I could do that . Its "new /used " bought it from someone who never took it out of the box.
You can still get the power system (motor and ESC) combo alone for 20% off, which makes it very competively priced.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:07 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I think everyone needs a 60" MXS either way, so do it now. I know the Laser is going to be really good, but the MXS is, so far, the best plane ever.

You can still get the power system (motor and ESC) combo alone for 20% off, which makes it very competively priced.
There is a new podcast i just linked in the EXP owners thread where Chris mentions that the 60'' Laser might just top the 64'' MXS
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:19 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
There is a new podcast i just linked in the EXP owners thread where Chris mentions that the 60'' Laser might just top the 64'' MXS

I was in such a hurry to post it that I failed to see you posted it about 8 minutes before me!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:41 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,458 Posts
Quote:
I do have a Scorpion 3020 780kv that needs a home ??
Power wise the Scorpion would be great but the problem with the Scorpion is it's a quite long motor made even longer by having to use a collet type prop adapter. I think the cowl might not be long enough to house the Scorpion and still keep a tight gap between spinner and cowl.

Trial assemble it and see if it fits.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:32 AM
Raleigh , N.C.
Joined Jun 2006
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Power wise the Scorpion would be great but the problem with the Scorpion is it's a quite long motor made even longer by having to use a collet type prop adapter. I think the cowl might not be long enough to house the Scorpion and still keep a tight gap between spinner and cowl.

Trial assemble it and see if it fits.
You are correct sir ! Its too long . I have a decision to make buy the E.F. Combo or the motrofly. I have a motrofly in my little slick and it Rocks , but watching Doc's videos the Torque motor looks potent . I would like to run a 13x7 Zoar on 4s .
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:46 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,658 Posts
Quote:
........but watching Doc's videos the Torque motor looks potent .
I've been flying Torque motors and Airboss ESC exclusively for at least five years, and maybe six. I just didn'tkeep track. I would still have my original 2814, but I lent it to a friend and he didn't want to give it back and bought me a new one instead. I think he is still flying it!

I think the videos pretty clearly show the Torques have the edge (so to speak) in both blistering speed and gut wrenching low end grunt. As far as reliability, these things may as well be made by Maytag. They are dead solid perfect.

Here's a chance to test my UTube account.

Last edited by Doc Austin; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:26 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,458 Posts
Quote:
You are correct sir ! Its too long . I have a decision to make buy the E.F. Combo or the motrofly. I have a motrofly in my little slick and it Rocks , but watching Doc's videos the Torque motor looks potent . I would like to run a 13x7 Zoar on 4s .
The Torque has ample power but it's a simple fact that the Motrolfly options have even more power, and they will spin a 13 or 14" prop if that's what you want.

My 3615 is pulling over 1kW and pulling 4kg of thust, no way on this planet the Torque is going to match that.

yes it's total overkill but it's fun.

PS.. And I have run a torque so I'm in a good position to compare... The Torque is a fine motor but personally i like the Motrolfly better.

PS.. You couldn't run a 13x7 Xoar on the Torque, you would pull at least 60-65 amps which would likely fry the motor.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Jan 16, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:59 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
speaking of bigger props... that 600-something kv torque is supposed to spin 13"prop on 4s... i think kv is not even nearly enough, but i would not mind to try...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:42 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
heres the thing.

the stock power combo with a 12x6 prop and 4s is really good. I ran this tgeough out the entire summer and was shocked at hoe good i got. its really floaty and since you dont have the power to pull you out of really bad mistakes it absolutely forces you to become a better pilot.

ive often considered getting another laser and 12x6 4s setup fpr lunctime baseball diamond flyimg.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:43 PM
Raleigh , N.C.
Joined Jun 2006
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
heres the thing.

the stock power combo with a 12x6 prop and 4s is really good. I ran this tgeough out the entire summer and was shocked at hoe good i got. its really floaty and since you dont have the power to pull you out of really bad mistakes it absolutely forces you to become a better pilot.

ive often considered getting another laser and 12x6 4s setup fpr lunctime baseball diamond flyimg.
??? Ummm is that a recommendation , or ???
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:51 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
its a recommendation