HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:18 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,209 Posts
If you seal your hinges you can make the hinge gap bigger which would give you more throw and you still wouldn't see the gap because you sealed it.

I know it's probably too late now since everything is hinged but next time don't worry about the how big the hinge gap is. Get the throw you want and seal the hinges.

BUT to be honest, i don't seal the hinges on planes smaller than 60''
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Last edited by hone1er; Jan 01, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:09 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
red being the key word... on 60" planes i allways try to seal at least tail, and it really helps roll rate and tail authority, but i have to try REAAAALLY hard even on such a big bevels to apply blenderm more or less bubble free.. cant even imagine trying to seal single beweled aelerons on EF 48"...
Shame we weren't a bit closer, I'd it for you. If you deflect the surface all the way so the bevel is opened wide then I've never found any great problem in applying blenderm... If it makes any difference or not is another issue, I've not don't the testing that world prove it one way or another but I figure, worst case, it cant do any harm.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:14 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Shame we weren't a bit closer, I'd it for you. If you deflect the surface all the way so the bevel is opened wide then I've never found any great problem in applying blenderm... If it makes any difference or not is another issue, I've not don't the testing that world prove it one way or another but I figure, worst case, it cant do any harm.
I actually flex the surface just a bit beyond the max I would flex it with a servo to fly it.
Never had any binding with my setup doing it that way.

The one thing sealing the gaps can do, and has done, is save your plane if you lose some ca hinges.
I seemed to notice a pretty big difference on my 48" Extra, but haven't noticed so much on other planes.
Maybe it's not a big deal unless the gap is huge. Still... I like blenderm as a backup hinge.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:40 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,747 Posts
Quote:
red being the key word... on 60" planes i allways try to seal at least tail, and it really helps roll rate and tail authority, but i have to try REAAAALLY hard even on such a big bevels to apply blenderm more or less bubble free.. cant even imagine trying to seal single beweled aelerons on EF 48"...
LoneWolf's son sell's a pre-made package for sealing these planes with clear ultra-cote. I spent about $10 and got a set for every EXP I have. It is really easy to install and I don't notice any issue with losing throw.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:24 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
wooh... maiden is out of the way! and all i can say is that whatever i didn't like in mxs, i like in this one... strange thing was that i need ke mixing in here, while on 60 edge or 48 mxs i needed none... 30* aelerons is even very ok even for me ( ) another strange thing, while edge and mxs had battery by the wing tube, here its 1cm in front... (maybe that has something to do with pilot figure in there?)

apart from some quirks (Which is nothing i couldn't live with) and wishing for a beefier landing gear, its nice plane and flies almost as easy as a slick or 60 edge....

i can say that today's maiden made up my mind! i wont be getting 64" mxs as my next plane but rather be waiting for a 60" laser....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:59 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
I don't usually mix any KE until I have the CG and trim exactly where I need it, and for me that takes like 10 or more flights. I didn't need any KE mix on mine, but every airframe can be a bit different.

Glad you like it!!
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:55 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Well, i dont know how, but i nailed cog on first takeoff, just a slight drop inverted, maybe later i will change it, but for now im happy! btw i did not know, there is pilotx for 48 planes!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:42 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
it doesnt sound stupid, i know that, and if im not happy i will seal tail... but on aelerons im sure i will make bigger mess than gain anything...
It does
Should you seal your hinges plus bonus (5 min 30 sec)
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:06 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
guys, i have been thinking and thinking, about my edge strangeness, now about my laser 'quirks' and well, how do i check if it might be that my dx8 is going bad? i did range test, and got 60 steps before losing control... well, if put it short, my laser 'quirks' is similar to my edge, just on a way less scale...
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:19 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
well as i said, i know it does, and does quite a lot, but i dont feel the need for more than 60* elevator, 45* rudder and 30* aelerons... and as now i have load of subtrim on aelerons, when i will get around it, i will shorten aeleron pushrods and im guessing i will get 35-40* wich should be plenty for me... and i THINK, i could do the same thing on elevator... down elevator i could get nearly 75* while up i got only 60* so i set them 60-60... of course it would be fun with more throw, but i would have to bump my expo way up...

one more thing, laser is closest plane to my slick in tumbling... you guys show some wicked tumbles, but when i put both sticks in lower inner corners, it barely does a single rotation... wich seems strange to me... only fun way of tumbling i found left stick at lower left corner, right stick at upper right....

i learned a variation of ke spin where you exit in upright flat spin, and somehow nail every time i try...its ok, but not violent... tried normal ke spin, and it started rotating so fast i thought tail is going to blow

and btw, 13x4 on sunnysky 800kv motor is ok, but lower power and speed margin, 13x5 or 13x6 would be the ticket, but well, i dont want to cash out for motrofly on a 48" plane...

ooh, and a lesson for you all guys... when a plane comes with sfg spacers and a blind nuts, please, just dont glue sfg to the wing after you punch the bolt holes free... if you want to glue, glue it to the sfg.... i made a mess of my wingtip, and if by the end of this month i will still love laser as much as on my maiden, i will order another wing, and maybe a B&E treatment!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:47 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,649 Posts
I got three flights on mine this morning. I managed to hit a tree and get away with no damage, which I thought was quite an achievement.

I recently switched my radio's trim settings to the maximum resolution. these ef planes are so precise that I was often finding my ideal trim settings were in between clicks. I highly recommend doing this as it allowed for much more precision in trimming.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:27 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,588 Posts
Quote:
guys, i have been thinking and thinking, about my edge strangeness, now about my laser 'quirks' and well, how do i check if it might be that my dx8 is going bad? i did range test, and got 60 steps before losing control... well, if put it short, my laser 'quirks' is similar to my edge, just on a way less scale...
Remember what I was saying about possible interference between RX and servo flying in a busy area. Did you ever rule that out, and if not could it still be a reason?
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:52 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,424 Posts
Here is stgdz's video on benefits of sealing...great video.

Should you seal your hinges plus bonus (5 min 30 sec)
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:42 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
It was amazing how much of a difference Du-Bro hinge tape made to my MXS ailerons. Proof is in the pudding in the video A lot of blowback at WOT so rifle rolls were impossible. However, once I put hinge tape on, throttle rifle rolls became near perfect.

For UK people like myself and rimaarts, you can buy it here

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/..._shopping_feed

Although maybe using monokote stuff is even better?
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:50 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,747 Posts
Quote:

one more thing, laser is closest plane to my slick in tumbling... you guys show some wicked tumbles, but when i put both sticks in lower inner corners, it barely does a single rotation... wich seems strange to me... only fun way of tumbling i found left stick at lower left corner, right stick at upper right....

)
Are you SURE you are not nose heavy? I would try nudging the lipo back to see if you don't like it better.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC